Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Pop Century Question in the Ask The Experts forums; When I was at Pop Century in February 2004, across the "lake" they were building a new hotel. I know this hotel will involve the decades 1900 to 1940. Does ...
    Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah

Pop Century Question

When I was at Pop Century in February 2004, across the "lake" they were building a new hotel. I know this hotel will involve the decades 1900 to 1940. Does anyone know what the name of this resort will be and when it is scheduled to open? Does anyone have any recent pictures of the construction of it?
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I believe the buidling you saw is part of the second phase of construction at Pop Century. I'll have to look around to see if I can find some of the press releases from when the resort was first announced.

EDIT:

I couldn't find a press release, but this should answer your question:

Phase I, the Classic Years, opened on December 14, 2003. Reservations were accepted beginning April 22, 2003.

Phase II will be the Legendary Years 1900s-40s and also have 2,880 rooms, but there is no projected opening date for this section of the resort.
    Last edited by wdw4us2; 12-15-2004 at 11:03 AM.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Jas
    When I was at Pop Century in February 2004, across the "lake" they were building a new hotel. I know this hotel will involve the decades 1900 to 1940. Does anyone know what the name of this resort will be and when it is scheduled to open? Does anyone have any recent pictures of the construction of it?

There are no recent picturs of it as they have stopped construction from what I understand. They have the check-in /food court building done as well as on group of room buildings done.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/pho...sort=1&cat=522

That was taken Dec 2003 and has not changed. I do have better ones of it but didn't see a need to upload them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/pho...sort=1&cat=522

That was taken Dec 2003 and has not changed. I do have better ones of it but didn't see a need to upload them.
    That's how it looked when I was there in February, I wonder why more work on it hasn't been done.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    None at all. When they quit working on it, they quit. Nothing has been touched since.

What about all the themed decorations? That was what I was expecting to see on the buildings now.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    It's my understanding that each room is pre-built off-site and then shipped to WDW were they just stack them one on top of another. They can start or stop on a moments notice. PC will be finished when demand for the rooms is up. Right now WDW is running pretty high for occupancy, but not at capacity. So, it might be a couple of years before PC II is open.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    PC will be finished when demand for the rooms is up. Right now WDW is running pretty high for occupancy, but not at capacity. So, it might be a couple of years before PC II is open.
    That makes sense.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    The only reason why Pop Century opened when it did is that the State of Florida was going to start charging taxes on the property at a higher rate because it was just about ready for occupancy.

As far as the rooms being built off site and being shipped to Disney, that only happened for the Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I have a couple pictures of the incomlete buildings from my trip last week but I looked on Disney pix and they look pretty much like the ones he already has up so here are his
    otts to 40's check in building:
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-40.htm

unopened buildings:

http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-45.htm

pop century gallery:
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop...ntury2004c.htm

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Thanks for sharing those with us. That's exactly how it looked when I stayed there in February 2004. I wonder if they will open the resort for the reason for opening part one that tiggerguy shared.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

cfielder is offline A-Ticket holder
    I can't believe that they build the rooms one at a time. Very interesting! I wish they would hurry and finish those though. I wanted to try out some more decades!

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    Is anybody else having trouble thinking of icons to represent the first 5 decades of Pop Century. I mean, pop culture really didn't start until the 1950s. What are they going to use for the 1910s, biplanes, and the 20s, flappers? And the 30s, a still, and the 40s, atom bombs??
    Any ideas?
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Well, the Depression was in the 30s, so maybe they'll put nothing? That would be depressing...
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast