Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Headless dude on space mountain in the Ask The Experts forums; I know wierd title but its the title of a nightmare I've been having everytime I go on SM and come back home. I'm not super tall or anything (6' ...
    dude22blue is offline C-Ticket Holder

Unhappy Headless dude on space mountain

I know wierd title but its the title of a nightmare I've been having everytime I go on SM and come back home. I'm not super tall or anything (6' 300lbs) but I'm scared of losing my head on space mountain, is it possible? Has it ever happened before, I need a expert that knows the fact to lessen my fear. I know theres an urban legend that saids that you can't throw your hands up in the air or you'll lose them but anything about a head. (I didn't want to post in the rumor section cuz I want facts) Please help me get over my fear.

Bahimiron is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm several inches taller than you and I can assure you, there's no chance of losing your head on Space Mountain.

(However, there is a decent chance of losing your lunch on Mission Space.)

More than getting my dome lopped off on these rides is the concern of my glasses going flying. Perhaps when I take my next trip, I just need to dork it up and buy some of those stupid straps that'll keep 'em 'round my neck.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I'm a slightly shorter-than average guy at 5'8', and although I have no fear of losing my head on SM, I am still a bit paranoid about putting my hands all the way up. There are just some stretches of track that seem to leave not quite enough comfort room for me to go about doing that. Logic tells me that Disney would have been smart enough to build the track with enough clearance all the way around it so that this wouldn't be a potential hazzard to guests, but then again, you never know. What I DO know however, is that I rode one time and the lights came on as I was about 2/3rds through my ride down the mountain. As we turned into the "afterburner" tunnel section towards the end (that's what it reminds me of anyway... it's that part where the lights flash red around you as you pass through the cylindrical tunnel), I realized with the lights on that we really weren't going as fast as it appeared in the dark. Not only that, but the top of that tunnel was not very far over my head. I was able to reach up and let my hand run along the roof of that tunnel without trying too hard. So I suppose... maybe if you were REALLY tall, and a really long torso (you know... not just tall because you have long legs, but really tall all over?), it's possible you could make make contact there, but I certainly wouldn't think it to be a realistic possibility. Besides, like I said... by the time you reach that part at the bottom, you're actually not going very fast at all.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I've come close to losing glasses or the like on SM, but no body parts. My DH lost the lense out of his glasses on RR...that turned out to be a very expensive ride. (He forgot to stow his glasses before the ride started.)
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Maybe if you wriggle enough out of the restraint and stand up? I'm not sure.
    Tina

DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm only 5'3" and I also kinda scrunch over in space mountain. I just feel like the headings are very low. I dont blame you for being scared. But there is that rumour/urban legend that a tall man got hurt by putting his hands up in space mountain. Maybe we should ask Shaqille O'Neal how he feels when he rides or maybe Lou to see if the legend is true....

This should be a problem for Myth Busters!!!
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    My fiance is 6'4 and he claims he can feel the track just inches about his head. So he constantly ducks the entire time. It's amusing to ride with him. I can also touch the top of the tunnel, just like Don can. Basically I wouldn't put my hands up but I wouldn't worry about your head getting stuck. Obviously someone as tall as you has ridden it before, and they lived so you should be good!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyHottie View Post
    Maybe we should ask Shaqille O'Neal how he feels when he rides or maybe Lou to see if the legend is true....
    Haha... have you met our Lou? He's not hard to spot - if you're looking down. (Sorry Lou, the setup was just too perfect! )

*aside* GOSH I hope the boss-man isn't sensitive about his height!
    -Don-

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    My bro-in-law is 6'9" and has never had any problems on SM. Don't know how much he ducks, but there is only so small he can try to get. He won't, however, fit in the cars at the Tomorrowland Speedway.

elphaba is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Im 5'9" and I have NEVER EVER felt like I was going to hit any part of my body on Space Mountain. My uncle is 6'8" and he puts his hand up and survives every time.
    RYAN

I had a 6'3" friend who was uncomfortable riding Space Mtn, but it was due to the lack of leg room (he was almost all legs) and the way the lap bar pressed on the top of his thighs. He didn't express any concerns whatsoever with overhead clearances.
    -Don-

dude22blue is offline C-Ticket Holder
    i'm just spasing out, I guess I've watched Final Destanation 3 one too many times

Quintessence is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I kinda duck when I ride Space Mountain, but you figure they think about these things when they build them.
    "Is that my voice? Is that my voice?!"