Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Pool hopping, anyone? in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok, so when I spotted e2emet's thread about which resort had the best pool/waterslide, it reminded me of something I've been thinking about trying, but I figured I'd ask here ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Pool hopping, anyone?

Ok, so when I spotted e2emet's thread about which resort had the best pool/waterslide, it reminded me of something I've been thinking about trying, but I figured I'd ask here first.

I was talking with someone a few months back during Mousefest, and they had mentioned something about being a DVC member and therefore being able to pool hop - that is, to go to any Disney resort and use their pool. They however said that there were two pools they were not allowed to hop to, and if I remember right, those two were the one at Beach Club and at Wilderness Lodge, where supposedly you need to have some form of identification to swim there (I think maybe a bracelet or something?).

Well, so I was thinking... I don't know what being a DVC member has to do with pool hopping, so maybe that part really didn't have anything to do with the pool hopping part of the story, and I just got it jumbled up in there somehow. But It did plant the idea in my head of trying out some different pools if I would be allowed to do so, and was hoping to maybe try it out on my spring break trip coming up in less than two weeks.

So, do you guys know which pools at which resorts are open to just anybody? Which ones are restricted ones for resort guests only, but don't enforce this policy. And lastly, which ones are too well enforced, and I should just not bother trying?

Thanks guys!

(Uh oh... I gotta get to class, and I'm not ready yet!) ...mumble grumble... stupid addictive dwt.com... mumble grumble mumble...
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    All Disney Resort's MAIN pool have restriction to be used only by the Guests staying at that resort. These rules are normally only enforced during peak season, but could be enforced at any time.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    My friends have gone pool hopping. If you look like you are going to the pool, I've never seen them ask any questions. However, it could be enforced just like Paul said.

However, if you don't get caught Disney will never know... and technically if you spend any money on drinks they make money off of you!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Although I have never done this, from my understanding, Pool Hopping is indeed a DVC perk.

I have read that you should have your DVC membership card and room key to do so. The pools that are not a part of the pool hopping are SAB at the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge Pool.

They found that SAB is so unique that they ended up having a huge amount of people not staying there wanting to hop to that pool. It resulted in overcrowding and guests that were staying there not being able to find a chair.

The other, Wilderness Lodge has a crowding problem with the Fort Wilderness campers attempting to pool hop to the lodge because of proximity to the campground. (an easy walk).

As far as enforcement, I have head everything from being carded at the pool to being thrown out to no one even asking if you belong.

As far as "official" Disney policy, pool hopping is only open to DVC members.

Now... go to class...
    Last edited by MickeyBabe; 03-05-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea you got the dvc pool hopping spot on. They have permission to use any pool on property with the exception of Yacht & Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge. I was so dissapointed because the only pool I truly care about is the Yacht & Beach Club pool. Why take that one of of the pool hoping privalges??
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    As for the Yacht & Beach Club Pool - One of the problems we overheard about 4 years ago was that resort guests from other resorts Swan & Dolphin and Boardwalk were using Stormalong Bay and it was so crowded that guests from Y&B couldn't use it. They had resort guests from Y&B go get wrist bands so they could tell who belonged and who didn't.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. So it really is a DVC-exclusive perk, huh? That's kinda silly, I think. But anyway, it sounds like for the most part, as long as I don't hit up SAB (Wilderness Lodge's pool is closed for refurbishment anyway, last I heard), I'll probably be pretty safe pool hopping pretty much anywhere else. I'll just make sure to try to steer clear of anything that looks a little too full, because it sounds like that's the primary reason for them checking swimmers. Thanks!
    -Don-

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Actually, the two pools that DVC members are not allowed to hop to are Stormalong Bay at Y&BC and the pool at Animal Kingdom Lodge. All of the other pools are fair game.

We have used this perk several times, especially when the kids were younger. We always call ahead to the resort to make sure the pool is not at capacity. We make sure we have our room card, which identifies you as a DVC member. However, we have never been asked to show it.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Ok, now I'm confused. Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Wilderness Lodge? I've never heard AKL mentioned up until just now.
    -Don-

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused. Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Wilderness Lodge? I've never heard AKL mentioned up until just now.
    The off limits pool is located at Animal Kingdom Lodge, not Wilderness Lodge. This is what is states in the Spring 2007 Vacation Magic which just arrived today:

"Pool hopping: Please remember that pool hopping isn't available at Uzima Pool At Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge or Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts. Due to expected high occupancy, pool hopping won't be available at any resort through Feb. 24, March 31-April 8, May 25-28, June 30-July 7, Aug. 31-Sept. 3, Nove. 19-25, 2007 and Dec. 16, 2007 - Jan. 2, 2008."

I hope that clears everything up!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder

SAB at BC

FYI - We have stayed at the BC several times. During the day they have always asked for room ID before we can enter the pool area. They have CM's stationed at each entrance. The CM's then provide you with a wrist band to wear while you are in the area.

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    When I was growing up, pool-hopping was a daily occurrence at WDW. One day, we'd be at the Polynesian pool (the old one was better, sorry), the next day at a park, then at the Grand Floridian, and so forth. I was never so angry in my life when this perk was taken away. I understand the reasons, but boy, do I miss the Yacht & Beach Club pool. That's the best pool on the entire property!! And yes, they will ask you for your ID. I half-heartedly tried one more time about 3 years ago to get into Y&B, and the guy was very sympathetic...and I haven't tried since. I've made myself happy at Pop Century's Hippy Dippy Pool and at Typhoon Lagoon, and every now and then I've sighed for the old days. Remember the magic...

So the point is, it isn't worth the hassle of driving or taking transportation, only to be met at the door with a firm but polite "Sorry." Just be happy where you're staying or go to the water parks.
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972