Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Summer is Hurricane Season in florida??? in the Ask The Experts forums; I've been checking the usual weather for WDW in June and many flordia weather sites. They all state that it is extremely hot etc. but what got me worried was ...
    starlightbh8 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Summer is Hurricane Season in florida???

I've been checking the usual weather for WDW in June and many flordia weather sites. They all state that it is extremely hot etc. but what got me worried was that they added "Summer is the heart of the Hurricane season".
    I have never been to WDW before so i don't know what the weather is like in the beginning of june (1st or second week) and if there is a big chance for a hurricane to strick at this time?? Is there any facts, experiences or tips you could tell me. Most importantly, if the beginning of June has had hurricanes near WDW. Thanks in advanced!!!
    Ariel: [singing] "Up where they walk/up where they run/up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free/wish I could be/Part of that world..."

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    Hurricane season usually starts around the Summer, but doesn't get really busy until August. Most of them hit the coasts. I wouldn't worry about it interfering with your trip.
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    June should be ok. like stated above hurricane season is usually busier during late august to october

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    My wife wants to go in August. But isn't it stormy?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by starlightbh8 View Post
    I've been checking the usual weather for WDW in June and many flordia weather sites. They all state that it is extremely hot etc. but what got me worried was that they added "Summer is the heart of the Hurricane season".
    I have never been to WDW before so i don't know what the weather is like in the beginning of june (1st or second week) and if there is a big chance for a hurricane to strick at this time?? Is there any facts, experiences or tips you could tell me. Most importantly, if the beginning of June has had hurricanes near WDW. Thanks in advanced!!!
    The Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1. However, as others have said, it is extremely atypical to get land falling hurricanes before around August or so. The heart of the season is August and September.

During the record 2004 hurricane season, the first storm to reach even tropical storm strength was Alex, on July 31. The real damaging storms that year -- Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne -- all formed in late August or early September.

Of course, with weather, there are no guarantees. We are in the first few years of a naturally active cycle that repeats every 30 years or so, and the La Nina (or El Nino, I can never remember which) phenomenon that kept storms from forming last year is gone this year, so there are expected to be a lot of hurricanes, although just how many make landfall is completely unpredictable.

Anyway, to make a long story short, if you were to ask a hurricane "expert" if there was a chance of a hurricane in June, he'd say yes, there's a chance of a hurricane any day of the year. But it would be a very, very unusual event. And Orlando is far enough inland that even a very bad storm isn't anything to really worry about.

While it's possible that your vacation could be ruined by bad weather, you'll at least be safe in a hotel -- in fact that is where many of the coastal residents will be trying to go if there is a bad storm approaching. I'm not really sure what Disney's policy is for people who's vacations are interrupted by a storm, but I'm sure if it was in any way unfavorable, we would have heard about it after the 2004 storms. The local press loves to seize any opportunity to criticize Disney.

Keep an eye on the National Hurricane Center's web site at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ as the time approaches. They track every potential storm from the time it is a tropical depression, usually off the coast of Africa and a week or more from reaching the US. One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that you won't be taken unawares.

Tony

Thanks so much for all the repsonses!!! It's definitely good to hear that Orlando is inland so it wouldn't be affected as much. I'm not so worried anymore, thanks again!!! An extra thanks to Tizzo for that wonderful explanation !!! You were all a big help !!!
    Ariel: [singing] "Up where they walk/up where they run/up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free/wish I could be/Part of that world..."

nbodyhome is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We were hit pretty hard for Charlie, but that isn't usual. The worst weather we've had in the past year was on Christmas day and Groundhog day in central Florida (as far as storms and damage). None of that was actually at Disney.

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    As others have mentioned, the month of June is generally quiet in terms of hurricanes making landfall in Florida. Even July is quiet. Hurricanes that form in the early part of the season generally form in the Gulf of Mexico and generally affect the Eastern Gulf Coast *if* they make landfall.

As the Atlantic warms up (August, September) most hurricanes form in the Atlantic, especially coming off the West coast of Africa and these have a higher chance of affecting Florida and those cruise ships in the Atlantic and Caribbean.

Then again, 2006 was to be a very active season and we didn't have any problems.

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Even if there are no Hurricanes, June is (obviously) summer in Florida. Expect 1-3 hours or rain a day (not always but more often than not). These frequently happen in the afternoons and are a great time to either have lunch or cool down time back at the hotels.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    The summer rains usually strike WDW sometime between 2:30 - 4:30 pm daily. This is the norm for most of Florida during the summer months.

The rain does not usually hang around for more than an hour. However, because it is so warm out, after the rains stop it is like a suana especially in July and August.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Huricane Frances

My son and I had planned a special trip for just the two of us. We were taking a long weekend in WDW. We usually stayed at BC, but decided to cut costs and stay at the Carribbean Beach. We knew before we left that we might have company, Frances. But we went anyway.

We only stayed at the CB for one night. The hotel is too open and I knew we needed to be someplace safer. The CM's were great about getting us a room at the BC and moving us the next day. We even got a room on the third floor looking directly at the BW. It was beautiful.

We did as much as we could at the parks before the storm. And I prepared by buying lots of toys for my son to play with. (I even had to buy another suitcase to get it all home.)

So we bunkered down in our room with the toys. WDW played non-stop movies for us, like Nemo, on the TV.

We were not allowed to go downstairs because of all of the glass. We could go out into the corridor though. They had CM's that agreed to stay at BC and take care of us. How wonderful is that! I can't thank them enough.

They made simple food for us and had it all set up in the hallway by the elevators.
    The hotel manager kept us updated by voicemail messages. They were out there cleaning up as soon as they possibly could be.

I just cannot say enough about the way they treated us. I did not get any refund, etc. Maybe others did. But I didn't even ask. I knew that the storm was devastating to WDW and the WDW CM's and I didn't want to take any back. They needed it. I tried to be extra generous with tips for the people who helped us.

So even if there is a storm, rest assured that the CM's will do a great job of taking care of you and your family.

I'm glad you and your son were fine! That's what is most important. What month did you go exactly??

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Hurricane Frances

Quote Originally Posted by starlightbh8 View Post
    I'm glad you and your son were fine! That's what is most important. What month did you go exactly??

We went over Labor Day weekend in September. We usually go in mid to late June and/or December. In June there is usually some rain each day in the afternoon for a couple hours. Or at least it seems that way to us. Except for Frances, weather has never really been a problem on our trips.

Oh, there was that snow storm on Main Street last December...

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    We have Hurricane Season for 1/2 of the year: June- Novemeber. It doesn't tend to get too 'active' til around August/Sept though..

Also- it rains nearly every day during the Summer in this area. Typically there are about what totals out to maybe 2 weeks worth of days WITHOUT rain and/or storms. Just our usual 'afternoon T-storms'.. not a big deal, really, unless there's lots of lightning. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeofLove4Him View Post
    We have Hurricane Season for 1/2 of the year: June- Novemeber. It doesn't tend to get too 'active' til around August/Sept though..

Also- it rains nearly every day during the Summer in this area. Typically there are about what totals out to maybe 2 weeks worth of days WITHOUT rain and/or storms. Just our usual 'afternoon T-storms'.. not a big deal, really, unless there's lots of lightning. Hope that helps.
    Thank you!! Everyone's input is a big help !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast