Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Epcot Bird in the Ask The Experts forums; when i go in future world at epcot , i always here this bird. Every time i hear it sounds like the asme sounds i heard before. the same tone ...
    Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder

Epcot Bird

when i go in future world at epcot , i always here this bird. Every time i hear it sounds like the asme sounds i heard before. the same tone and same length. Is it just unusual or is it a recording?
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Some birds do have distinctive calls, it's probably just one of a speices that has a particular "scignature" call that is something different from bird calls you are used to hearing so it stands out. now that said you were not very specific about just where in Future World you hear it, if it was for instance, on the listen to the land boat ride in the farmhouse scene, I think it would be much more likely to be a recording, but I'm Guessing that is not the type of thing you are speaking of.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    In some areas of the resort Disney plays bird sounds over the speakers to keep some birds out of the way. The sounds supposivly keep bird away from areas they shouldn't be in.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    This is probably off-topic, but to me the call of the Fish Crow is what makes Florida special to me. Years ago when I first heard its call in Naples where my in-laws had a condo I was puzzled as to what kind of bird it was. It took me years to find out it's name. One day I came across a bird watcher in a nature preserve and asked him what kind of bird it was. I guess they are a nuisance bird now and spreading across the south. Now, no trip to Florida is complete for me until I hear its call since they are not in Indiana yet.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fish Crow range
    The Fish Crow (Corvus ossifragus) is superficially very similar to the American Crow but is smaller (36–41 cm in length) and has a more silky smooth plumage by comparison. The differences are often only really apparent between the two species when side by side or, when heard calling. The bill is usually somewhat slimmer than the American Crow also but again, this may not help much when there is no other bird for comparison.

This species occurs on the eastern seaboard of the United States from the state of Rhode Island south to the northern part of the Gulf of Mexico and follows many river systems inland for quite some distance. Coastal marshes and beaches are frequented, also rivers, inland lakes and marshes, river banks, and the land immediately surrounding all.

Food is taken mainly from the ground and even in shallow water where the bird will hover and pluck food items out of the water with its feet. Small crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, other invertebrates, stranded fish and live fish if the situation favors their capture, eggs and nestlings, small reptiles and fruits of many trees, peanuts and grains, human scraps where available.

The nest is usually built high in a tree and is often accompanied in nearby trees with other nests of the same species forming small, loose colonies. There are usually 4-5 eggs laid.

The voice is the most outwardly differing characteristic for this species and other American Crow species. Describes as a nasal and hoarse "ark-ark-ark" including a begging "waw-waw".

Visual differentiation from the American crow is extremely difficult and often innacurrate -- nonetheless, differences apart from size do exist. Fish crows tend to have more slender bills and feet. There may also be a small sharp hook at the end of the upper bill. Fish crows also appear as if they have shorter legs when walking. More dramatically, when calling, fish crows tend to hunch and fluff their throat feathers.

The latest genetic testing now seems to indicate that this species is close to both the Sinaloan Crow, (Corvus sinaloae) and the Tamaulipas Crow, (Corvus imparatus) and not as close to the American Crow, (Corvus brachyrhynchos) as outward signs would suggest.

This species appears to be somewhat more resistant to West Nile Virus than the American crow. Survival rates of up to 45% have been reported for fish crows, compared with near zero for the American species
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 03-16-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Thumbs up

The sound you hear (good ears, BTW - most people don't even know it's there!) is actually one that is played purposefully by Disney: it is the sound of a bird in distress.

Soon after Future World opened, Cast Members and Imagineers noticed that birds were making nests in signs, eaves, and on buildings. Needless to say, it caused a little bit of a mess, and birds often swooped down near guests to pickup food that may have dropped to the ground.

To alleviate the bird dilemma naturally, without actually having to go in and evict the "new tenants," Disney installed a series of hidden speakers. From these speakers, they play a recorded, looping sound of a bird in distress. This sound alerts other birds that there may be danger in the area, and causes them to stay away.

Have no fear, though... no birds were harmed in the making of this recording.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
    The sound you hear (good ears, BTW - most people don't even know it's there!) is actually one that is played purposefully by Disney: it is the sound of a bird in distress.

Soon after Future World opened, Cast Members and Imagineers noticed that birds were making nests in signs, eaves, and on buildings. Needless to say, it caused a little bit of a mess, and birds often swooped down near guests to pickup food that may have dropped to the ground.

To alleviate the bird dilemma naturally, without actually having to go in and evict the "new tenants," Disney installed a series of hidden speakers. From these speakers, they play a recorded, looping sound of a bird in distress. This sound alerts other birds that there may be danger in the area, and causes them to stay away.

Have no fear, though... no birds were harmed in the making of this recording.

And this is why you wrote the book on WDW Trivia Lou! I would've never in a million years guessed that sound was a recording let alone specifically of a bird in distress to warn other birds that it's dangerous to come to the area. Makes me wish I spoke bird so I could translate whatever that bird is saying. It's probably something like "Whatever I ate tasted like bird! I heard the humans say something about Turkey Legs. Stay away stay away! *chirp*".
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    too bad that sound is immune to seagulls... haha
    The Goofy Princess

Figment1982 is offline A-Ticket holder
    They use it mainly at Electric Umbrella and Norway. The noise is actually quite annoying, and although I love sitting outside at the EU, I have leave quickly before I go insane. It seems to no longer have any effect on the birds either, as they still flock in droves to try to steal fries.