Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Deaf & Hard of Hearing Research in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok. I just got word from my teacher today that we will be doing any research report we want. But it must be on deafness/hearing loss/American Sign Language. (its my ...
    nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Research

Ok. I just got word from my teacher today that we will be doing any research report we want. But it must be on deafness/hearing loss/American Sign Language. (its my ASL class). Well, as the Disney Nut I am...I thought of Deaf & Hard of Hearing services in WDW. But rather than just read about them. I wanted to go, ask questions and even use the same equipment if I could and get a look at it. Anyone know someone I can contact to prearrange this or something? I need some quick help with this, seeing that the paper may be due in the next two weeks (Teacher has not decided yet). And I may need to take time off work on the weekend to do a research trip. Thanks!

Figment1982 is offline A-Ticket holder
    They have reflective captioning devices for use in the shows/movies (such as Muppets, Fantasmic, etc.). I'm not sure if they'll let you use one, but it's worth a shot. You can talk to someone in Guest Relations and perhaps they'll at least let you look at it.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Why don't you get some ear plugs/ear muffs and go to the parks to experience what it would be like for someone who was hard of hearing? I agree with the above too - Guest Relations can usually help with most things.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

I've done the earplugs thing at school before for a requiored project. The earplugs didnt work out so well though. I could still hear plenty and felt like I just had to focus just a bit more than normal to understand what someone was saying. I can understand if they wont let me use the equipment, but I at least want to get a good look at it and ask some questions at guest relations. And even see if there was any signing going on at a show sometime in the day at attend and hopefully talk to the CM. That would be plenty of research for me!

Figment1982 is offline A-Ticket holder
    There are special sign language-interpreted shows for various performances around property. Ask any CM - it's in their Tell-A-Cast information booklet for the week. Also, the parades are often interpreted in a specific spot. I remember watching the Remember the Magic parade back in '96 by the Hall of Presidents and watching a CM sign the song. It was quite beautiful.

They also sign the Candlelight Processional, my friend has a very short video of a CM signing at it if that would help you. Obviously you couldn't go watch it now!

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I'm hearing impaired too! I wear hearing aids. I know about the reflective captioning and the interpreter. I don't need any of that stuff though, w/my hearing aids I can hear very well, and I can read lips.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Quote Originally Posted by Figment1982 View Post
    There are special sign language-interpreted shows for various performances around property. Ask any CM - it's in their Tell-A-Cast information booklet for the week. Also, the parades are often interpreted in a specific spot. I remember watching the Remember the Magic parade back in '96 by the Hall of Presidents and watching a CM sign the song. It was quite beautiful.

They also sign the Candlelight Processional, my friend has a very short video of a CM signing at it if that would help you. Obviously you couldn't go watch it now!
    I did get to see the CM signing when I saw Candlelight. But the project was sadly far off from then. But it was beautiful to watch and see.
    I just checked the DWT books to see if Lou had any facts in there. But I could not find anything...and I was hoping to be able to cite Lou as a source!