Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss The Legend The Club's Name in the Ask The Experts forums; Why did Disney pick the number 33 for Club 33. I'm guessing that it was because when you turn 33 on it side it is mm for mickey mouse. is ...
    Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder

The Legend The Club's Name

Why did Disney pick the number 33 for Club 33. I'm guessing that it was because when you turn 33 on it side it is mm for mickey mouse. is that right?
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    33 is for the street address. The entrance of the club is located next to the Blue Bayou Restaurant at "33 Royal Street" .

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I never knew that...
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Brian_WDW74 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    There have been a few urban legends that have sprung up about the origin of the name, including the "mm" connection. But Stitch is right, it's just the club's address. Walt Disney wanted a private club where he could serve alcohol to his guests, but the county needed a precise street address for the liquor license. So the buildings in New Orleans Square were all assigned addresses, and the club's just happened to turn out to be 33. For the record, the Blue Bayou's address is 35 Royal Street.
    *Brian*

Some of the other "legends" Brian mentioned are:

- Club 33 was named for Disneyland's 33 sponsors at the time.
    - Walt Disney chose the name simply because he liked the way that "33" looked.
    - According to the employee,s "33" was chosen because Walt's lucky number was 3.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    I don't know about that last one Stitch, I have always heard that 13 was Walt's lucky number
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

I pulled that off the web, so it could be incorrect, or that could be why it is an urban legend.

13 huh? Good taste in numbers he had!

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    Did you also know about a Club55?
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    The Address Walt picked for Disneyland was 1313 since he had several blocks of Harbour Blvd he could have chosen any odd number (even is on the other side of the street) between something like 1200 and 1700

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Zar333 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I found a website that has a great deal of info on club 33. It says that the liquor License actually simply has the regular Disneyland shipping address on it. The reason for the name is explained:

Club 33 was intended as a place where Walt would entertain friends and business associates (including the park's forty-seven participants), but Walt died before the club was finished. It was left to others, therefore, to decide what to do with the club; with Walt gone, the club's original reason for being no longer made sense. The forty-seven participants were polled, and thirty-three of them opted for turning Walt's club into a private club, one in which the general public could obtain membership for a fee. Thus this private club came to be called Club 33, and the address 33 Royal Street was assigned to it. (It had been the intention all along to assign addresses to the shops, restaurants, and other structures on Royal Street, but the address of 33 Royal Street was not given to Club 33 until after the club's name had already been decided upon.)

I would post the link but am unable due to my post count

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Another tidbit, the kitchen for Club 33 is attached to where Walt's new apartment would have been had he lived. This is now the Disney Gallery.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Zar333,

It appears you got that from Snope.com. That's usually a pretty reliable source, but I believe it's wrong in this case. Not only do the CMs who work in Club 33 relate the liquor license story, I also found this on the Theme Park Detective web site, which is the site for the book Disneyland Detective: An Independent Guide to Discovering Disney’s Legend, Lore, & Magic, written by a woman who personally interviewed several Imagineers:

How did Club 33 get its name?

Some people thought that there were 33 lessees to the club. Not true. Others thought that there were 33 original investors to Disneyland. Also not true. Still others thought that 33 turned on its side looks like mm. While that may be true, that is not how Club 33 got its name.

Club 33 was named for its liquor license. According to Disney Legend Bill Martin who is credited for naming Club 33, the club needed an address that was separate from Disneyland since it would not be appropriate for Disneyland to register for a liquor license. New Orleans Square was numbering the building facades and Club 33 was located at 33 Royal Street. The restaurant was called the 33 Club until the name Club 33 stuck. Club 33 was just inches away from being named Club 35.
    By the way, there's an error in my previous message. The Blue Bayou is at 31 Royal Street, not 35.
    Last edited by Brian_WDW74; 04-15-2007 at 02:00 PM.
    *Brian*

Zar333 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thank you for the clarification sir. Sometimes I really dig it when the answer is a lot more simple then legend makes us think.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    Another tidbit, the kitchen for Club 33 is attached to where Walt's new apartment would have been had he lived. This is now the Disney Gallery.
    And if you look behind the service counter in the Disney Gallery, you'll see that the cash register is sitting right over a sink that was installed for Walt and Lillian's personal use. There's also a small refrigerator back there which the CMs now use for their own personal storage.
    *Brian*