Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Carousel Of Progress original Song in the Ask The Experts forums; Why did they change the song? It used to go: Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life. And now it ...
    neu318 is offline A-Ticket holder

Carousel Of Progress original Song

Why did they change the song? It used to go: Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life. And now it goes: Its a great big beautiful tomorrow. I can't seem to find a clip of the old song anywhere.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by neu318
    Why did they change the song? It used to go: Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life. And now it goes: Its a great big beautiful tomorrow. I can't seem to find a clip of the old song anywhere.
    Wasn't "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" the original song? "Now is the time" was used (I think) in the late 70s into the 80s.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

neu318 is offline A-Ticket holder
    It could have been, I began going to Disney in the 80's.

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was the original song from when the show first premiered at the New York 1964 World's Fair, then known as Progressland. The show later was moved to Disneyland and kept the song and General Electric sponsorship, changing name to Carousel of Progress. By the time they decided to move the show to Florida, General Electric decided that their focus as a company had changed a lot, so when the show changed locations, the song was changed to "Now Is The Time." When New Tomorrowland ("The Future That Never Was" version) opened in 1995, it went through a major overhaul with a loss of sponsor and a renaming to "Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress." The idea was to show that this show was historically important, so the original song returned and the queue video was added. The big difference between the original and the current is in the final scene (which has always changed every few years to keep it current), where you can hear the voice of the original father as the grandfather. Also, the final scene now depicts 90 year-old kids that look only 40, the father must be at least 120, while the grandparents are in their 150s.

The attraction is getting ready to close soon for a big rehab... I wouldn't be surprised if you see a new final scene when it reopens. I don't see this attraction closing down for good any time soon -- its one attraction that Walt expressed wishes to never close down for good.

-Tim

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    Wasn't "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" the original song? "Now is the time" was used (I think) in the late 70s into the 80s.
    It depends on what you mean by the original song...
    If you're only talking about the show at Walt Disney World the original song at WDW was Now is the time. For almost ten years before that though it played with the song "there's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" at first the NY Worlds Fair, Flushing Meadow Queens, General Electics Progressland Pavilion, then moved from 1967 to 1972 or 1973 (Disney A to Z will give you the exact date) with Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow at Disneyland , and was given the "Now is the Time" song at the request of it's sponsor General Electric when it was transplated to Walt Disney World.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum

The attraction is getting ready to close soon for a big rehab... I wouldn't be surprised if you see a new final scene when it reopens. I don't see this attraction closing down for good any time soon -- its one attraction that Walt expressed wishes to never close down for good.

-Tim
    Apparently DL didn't get that memo....

CoP has been turned into Innoventions in Walt's Park. I was not too impressed with the area either.

They are going to put $$$ into a ride that sits empty most of the year??
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    Apparently DL didn't get that memo....

CoP has been turned into Innoventions in Walt's Park. I was not too impressed with the area either.

They are going to put $$$ into a ride that sits empty most of the year??
    Actually the Carousel of progress hasn't been at Disneyland for over thirty years. From 1974 to 1986 there was another show in the Carousel Building at Disneyland, it was called America Sings six stages, load unload and four acts, just like the carousel of progress if you ever see pictures the characters may look familliar since almost all of the figures were recycled for use in Disneyland Splash Mountain, on which all the later splash mountains were based. from 1986 until the "New New Tiomorrowland" Disneyland debuted in 1998 (with the aforementioned innoventions west in the carousel building) the Carousel Building was converted to office Space.

I think the prospects for a re-hab with a new final act are getting slim, as it stand there is about a 50 year gap between act 3 and act 4 if they move the futre out to 2015 or 2020 without re-habing the other acts it will just be too much, like an actor or actress who has had one facelift to many. I love this show but I think it's time has probably gone. Not only that but if it does close after this year (it's rumored they won't close it this year as it helps tie WDW to Disneyland so closely and this is Disneylands big year) I will give Disney credit for the classy re-hab they gave it in 1994 that put Walts Name on the show, and for the many years that they continued to run this atteraction *Without A Sponser*.

I think puling the plug on it at this point would likely be a more dignified end ...in a sense going out on top (since I really do think this is the best version of the show having listened to soundtracks of the earlier versions) rather than instituting a version of the show that would almost have to dissapoint many if for no other reason than it was not the version they fell in love with, and any new version would need extensive changes both to cover the "time gap" problem I mentioned and the fact that some of the voice talent form the last version of the show has since passed away.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

I would personally hate to see it go...I've been going to WDW since the year it opened (I was 2) and although I love all the new additions and parks, it is hard to see the "old" attractions and rides be tossed aside. Besides, it brings the biggest smile to my face to now watch my 4 year old go through the scenes and hear him sing "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow"! He looks forward to Carousel of Progress everytime we visit, I only hope my 2 month old gets the same chance.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Didn't Walt never, ever, EVER want this classic attraction to close? I sure hope it doesn't!

300th POST!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.