Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss 5 year old's first trip, need tips! in the Ask The Experts forums; My little guy is turning 5 in a few weeks and I am taking him to WDW at the end of the month, it will be his first visit. He ...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

5 year old's first trip, need tips!

My little guy is turning 5 in a few weeks and I am taking him to WDW at the end of the month, it will be his first visit. He is tall enough to ride everything but Primeval Whirl and RnRC. My question is, can he handle Tower of Terror? He says he wants to ride it, we have been watching the planning DVD and he wants to ride everything. What are other rides that your little ones did NOT enjoy? I am also wondering if Dinosaur will be too scary for him. Obviously I would take him on the milder rides at first and see how he does on those. I am thinking he would love Space Mountain, he has been on a similar dark coaster before. He isn't easily scared and loves rides. So if anyone has anything to share that would be great!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Just my opinion here, but I think Mission Space is a little too intense for any kid under 10 - even the non-spinning version.
    Dinosaur is a little jerky and loud, but if he is prepared, he might do ok.
    Have you ever seen the book Disney for Kids, by Kids? It rates the rides - he might want to look at that.
    If I can find my niece's copy, I could send it to ya.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

I hadn't really thought about Mission Space, definitely not the intense version! I rode the diet one and that was plenty for me so no way I would take him on that. I have an old Passporter that has a kids review of the rides, I will have to read that, good idea. For Dinosaur I am more worried about the scary Dinosaurs than the actual ride part. Maybe if I warn him and show him clips of the Dino to prepare him that it could be scary, that could help too.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i took my son to kings island when he was like 5 and he rode everythign we did... and he would scream and carry on while on the ride.. .but as soon as we got off. he was like lets go again!!! LOL
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

I am expecting some of that too! I wonder how he would react to the Haunted Mansion, more worried about the stretching room than the ride portion! On the ride I can have my arm around him to make him feel secure, I could always distract him when the lights go off, warn him that it will happen.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Bout time you are taking that kid. LOL
    Meghyn will be 4 months shy of 5 when we go down in Sept. She seems excited to ride some of the bigger rides. Donnie is looking forward to taking her them. I think she may do the same thing and freak while going on but want to "DO IT AGAIN" as soon as we get off.

Warning would be good. I would not do the more intense ones yet anyway even if he was big enuf. But then again each kid is different.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

But what is considered intense nowadays? When we were kids it was Mr Toad's and Snow White!

I am planning on packing very light for the parks, extra socks, his water shoes for the fountain play areas, first aid kit for scrapes, Tylenol, water bottle, hat, he'll be covered in sunblock before we head out, any other suggestions? I want to make him a little kit to bring on the plane, maybe small playdoh jars, coloring book, things like that.

HMMM.............Lets see the ones I would play by ear with Meghyn....All height limits considered
    MK
    Space Mt. ---really rough ride and you cant sit with them
    Splash Mt----Steep drop and getting wet(my kid is weird, she will live in the tub but try to get her head wet and look out -hold your ears)
    Stitch---A little dark (Donnie said she will be fine. I havent ridden it so ... I am more worried about the shoulder harnesses not being comfy for her)
    AK
    Exp. EV---NO NO NO...way too much for a munchkin that age even if they were big enuf
    Kali River---maybe ok (there is that wet thing again)
    Dino---dark and rough and giant dinos attacking you
    MGM
    RNR---NO NO NO again same reasons
    TOT--slightly dark , repetitive drop may be scary or make them nauseous
    Star Tours---a bit rough
    EPCOT
    Sp Earth---dark but lots of other things going on to distract
    Soarin'---heights (meghyn will love this)
    Test track----Faster then they are used to traveling in an open air car?????????
    Mission Sp---...not even the tame version Just strikes me as too instense for a kid that age.
    Universe of Energy---LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG

Mind you these are my opinions and what I would be heistant on taking Meghyn on depending on her mood at the time.

Thanks Vix!

MK
    Space Mt. ---really rough ride and you cant sit with them - But right behind him I think he'd be ok with that, he likes bumpy.
    Splash Mt----Steep drop and getting wet(my kid is weird, she will live in the tub but try to get her head wet and look out -hold your ears) - SAME HERE! LOL, not sure about the drop.
    Stitch---A little dark - Yeah, that one is mostly in pitch black darkness, maybe not.

AK
    Exp. EV---NO NO NO...way too much for a munchkin that age even if they were big enuf - Agreed, the backwards part gets my stomach in a knot.
    Kali River---maybe ok (there is that wet thing again) - He will LOVE that one. Especially if we get wet, go figure.
    Dino---dark and rough and giant dinos attacking you - Not sure at all about the scare factor.

MGM
    RNR---NO NO NO again same reasons - Too short to ride anyway.
    TOT--slightly dark , repetitive drop may be scary or make them nauseous - Really not sure how he'd like that one. Dark pre-show etc.
    Star Tours---a bit rough - He might like that, he likes bumpy.

EPCOT
    Sp Earth---dark but lots of other things going on to distract - Should be fine, I will hold his hand.
    Soarin'---heights (meghyn will love this) - No problem there, he will love that.
    Test track----Faster then they are used to traveling in an open air car????????? - We are renting a convertible, that might give a preview of his reaction, but he is a boy and he LOVES cars so I am sure he will s*uck it up and want to ride.
    Mission Sp---...not even the tame version Just strikes me as too instense for a kid that age. - The confined space worries me a bit. He might think we are ACTUALLY leaving earth.
    Universe of Energy---LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG - Yes but dinosaurs! And it stinks too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    I am planning on packing very light for the parks, extra socks, his water shoes for the fountain play areas, first aid kit for scrapes, Tylenol, water bottle, hat, he'll be covered in sunblock before we head out, any other suggestions? I want to make him a little kit to bring on the plane, maybe small playdoh jars, coloring book, things like that.
    Dont bother dragging the water shoes...let 'em go barefoot. Just something extra ( and WET) that you have to carry around. Take some ziploc baggies to protect and carry odds and ends in. Extra socks and shoes good tho. See if you can find the SWIPES sunblock (they are little wipes with sunscreen built in) I havent found them yet but want them to carry as liquid sunscreen only lasts so long and has to be reapplied after getting wet.
    Bubbles to entertain him in line. Glow sitcks so you dont have to buy those horribly expensive light up toys. Autograph book--get one ahead of time, cheaper.Clicky pen --sharpie makes nice ones, permanent and not worry about pen caps. Roll of pennies for the fountains.

Suggestion for the plane.
    Is playdoh allowed on? I would think it would fall into the dense category like fudge and stuff.
    Make up some little surprise bags ahead of time to take on with you. Use opaque party treat bags. Give him one at a time. Fill them with mini- coloring books(print them off line), small packs of crayons, pipe cleaners(endless joy for that age) stickers. Tie the bags with twisties so if they make you open them you can retie them again.

ASK FOR ADVICE AND YE SHALL RECIEVE....

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    My girls have been riding everything as soon as they are tall enough. They are almost 7 and 8 now, but have been going since they were 3 and 4. The only ride they haven't been on is Mission Space. Our April trip netted Primevil Whirl and Rock N Roller Coaster. It really depends on your child. If they've been watching Jurassic Park since they were three, like my kids, they won't be scared. But if they still think there are monsters in their closets, you should be cautious.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    Is playdoh allowed on? I would think it would fall into the dense category like fudge and stuff.
    Great tips, and I did not think about the playdoh thing on the plane....maybe scratch that idea.

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    My 7 & 11 year old have gone 5 of the last 6 years and my son rode TOT when he was 5 and had no problems. As for Mission Space I agree with everyone else that it is too intense for children.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Thanks Vix!

Space Mt. ---really rough ride and you cant sit with them - But right behind him I think he'd be ok with that, he likes bumpy. UMMM...your arms are gonna hurt when you get off...been there done that with Melody at age just turned 6 (tiny) OWWWWWW!!!!!
    Kali River---maybe ok (there is that wet thing again) - He will LOVE that one. Especially if we get wet, go figure. Meghyn will be the same I know it but I figure I will hover over her on the parts where she may get deluged
    Dino---dark and rough and giant dinos attacking you - Not sure at all about the scare factor. same here
    Star Tours---a bit rough - He might like that, he likes bumpy. Strange children we both have
    Test track----Faster then they are used to traveling in an open air car????????? - We are renting a convertible, that might give a preview of his reaction, but he is a boy and he LOVES cars so I am sure he will s*uck it up and want to ride. GREAT IDEA
    Mission Sp---...not even the tame version Just strikes me as too instense for a kid that age. - The confined space worries me a bit. He might think we are ACTUALLY leaving earth. More like they really wouldnt understand it.. gotcha!
    Universe of Energy---LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG - Yes but dinosaurs! And it stinks too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast