Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Need Priority Seatings For all Sit Down Meals? in the Ask The Experts forums; I have a question regarding the necessity, in your expert opinion, on the need for Priority Seating for the a trip to WDW the last week in Jan.-first week in ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Need Priority Seatings For all Sit Down Meals?

I have a question regarding the necessity, in your expert opinion, on the need for Priority Seating for the a trip to WDW the last week in Jan.-first week in Feb.

Last year, we pre-scheduled most of our sit down meals. It was GREAT for not having to wait much for a table, plus we knew in advance where we needed to be at a certain time.

However, it did kind of kill the spontineity of the trip, and although we are travelling with our two small kids again this year, we only have one reservation, our annual meal at the Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends.

My husband is of the feeling this year that we should avoid what he calls my "power Disney planning" for a change-just find a place to eat (counter or sit down, etc...) when we get hungry.

I am wondering what you all think.. Do you always plan meals ahead while at Disney? Can we do this and still find tables in restaurants when we want, or is my husband just DEAD WRONG about this, like I suspect?
    Just looking for some expert opinions on the need for planning in advance on this meal thing....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    My family always just eats when we are hungry, we don't plan ahead. But we always eat at counter service, so I don't know about the table availability at the sit down restaurants. The only place we "plan" to eat at is the bakery in France, we always get desert from there on our way out of Epcot.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    It really depends on when you go and where you want to eat. If your family has their heart set one particular place, then make a PS for it.

I suspect the time of year you are going will not be much of a problem getting a table at a sit down.

There are certain places I would always recommend a PS....CRT, Le Cellier, etc. Both of these places have small restaurants IMHO, which doesn't help the demand.

I've been able to walk up to Ohana on a Saturday night and got a table within 30 minutes....same with Chefs de France and Teppenyaki in Epcot. Of course, we like to eat dinner late...after 8PM usually. If you are aiming for prime dinner hours, be prepared to wait...or move onto another place. I couldn't walk up to Le Cellier or the Garden Grill at all for dinner (November 2003). I've been able to walk up to the Brown Derby and get seated within 30 mins, last month, and I've been turned away from Brown Derby (October 2003) cause they were full.

I'm like you, I really don't like planning my meals too far in advance either...nor do I like waiting an hour to get a table. I only make PS when I have to or really want to eat there.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    do a couple sit downs at a few places just remember to have fun

We're going the end of Jan., do you think any of these places then are "musts" for prime lunch and dinner meals:
    50's Prime Time Cafe'
    Teppayani in Japan or Chefs de France
    Tony's Town Square in MK
    CRT for Lunch or Dinner (not charecter?)
    These are places I am thinking about, but am trying REALLY hard to not "overschedule" us. We will likely do simple breakfasts, and maybe one sit down meal for lunch or dinner a day. I haven't gone without priority seating before and you know how paitient kids can be when hungry, so I am just not sure what is best....Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    50's prime time we only had a 10 minute wait in february without priority seating.

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    I don't think that it is necessary to make Priority Seating arrangements for every meal during Jan and Feb. Mandabella is correct that it might depend on where you want to eat. If you want to go to some of the more popular places, it might be smart to make a couple PSings in advance.

An extra tip that most people don't know is that if you go to any pay phone at Disney World and dial *88, it will link you to dining services. This is a free call!!!! So, if you want to be a little spontaneous, decide an hour before hand where you want to eat, call dining services, make a PS, ride some rides and then go eat.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    I don't think that it is necessary to make Priority Seating arrangements for every meal during Jan and Feb. Mandabella is correct that it might depend on where you want to eat. If you want to go to some of the more popular places, it might be smart to make a couple PSings in advance.

An extra tip that most people don't know is that if you go to any pay phone at Disney World and dial *88, it will link you to dining services. This is a free call!!!! So, if you want to be a little spontaneous, decide an hour before hand where you want to eat, call dining services, make a PS, ride some rides and then go eat.
    Welcome to the board! Thanx for the tip for PS!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    Welcome to the board! Thanx for the tip for PS!
    Thanks for the welcome! It's great to finally post something and get involved with the group. I met Lou at Mousefest in December and love the site. I hope to get more involved in the future.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    Welcome to DWT, disneyonadime! We have a chat on here every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 pm EST. I hope you can come sometime!
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

Thanks for the tip!

I didn't know about the in-park phone thing (come to think of it, I guess I never noticed pay phones, for that matter) so that is good info.

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    I didn't know about the in-park phone thing (come to think of it, I guess I never noticed pay phones, for that matter) so that is good info.
    They are hidden a little and mostly near restrooms. The park maps have them listed if you need to find one.

Another option is to put the number into your cell phone (407-WDW-DINE) and call from wherever you want. Make sure you have a nationwide plan so you don't get spiked with fees.
    Chris
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    As alredy mentioned, this is a slower time of the year. Very few places really need PS. Bu if there is that one place, like the Crystal Palace, you just have to eat at, make the seating. Otherwise just have fun.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    wife and i follow a simple philosophy that worked great at The World, ... follow the path of least resistance. we usually just 'went' where the least people were, and we still managed to see and do what we wanted.

as for priority seating, we did it for either what we knew we wanted (Crystal Palace character breakfast), or the day before of someplace we wanted to go (Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge, upscale but highly recommended)

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    It's rare that we ever make a PS when we go to WDW, even with the 5 people in my family. The only place I have made a PS personally was for Chef Mickey's early in the morning and it was the summertime, so I figured I would need them.

Other than that, just go with the flow. I don't like being on a schedule persay, I like to eat when I'm hungry and not eat at a time when I might not be hungry.
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star