Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Sword in the Stone in the Ask The Experts forums; I'm sure it's been brought up here before but after some searching I couldn't find a recent thread on this one so here goes... My husband and I have seen ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Sword in the Stone

I'm sure it's been brought up here before but after some searching I couldn't find a recent thread on this one so here goes...

My husband and I have seen pictures of and video of children pulling the sword from the stone outside Cinderella's Carousel. After some visitation to other Disney Fan sites (i.e. laughing place, intercot, allearsnet, etc.) and searching in Lou's trivia, I can't find details on this. What I've gathered from reading the stories is that the sword can only successfully be pulled during the Sword in the Stone Ceremony with Merlin. Can anyone verify this?

Does anyone know how the stone release mechanism is triggered? My husband is convinced there's some sort of pressure plate around the stone but we've never seen one nor have we noticed any sort of consistency in where Merlin is standing when the sword is pulled.

I read a bunch of posts on a site about a green/red light and the stone can only be pulled when the light is red but judging based on the description of where the light is located (in a post from just weeks ago), I'm guessing these folks were talking about the stone at Disneyland (not WDW) because they mention Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as being next to Peter Pan's Flight. Obviously not only is MTWR no longer in existence at WDW but it's not anywhere near PPF.

Soooooo anyone have the skinny on the actual "behind the magic" stuff here? (And yes I know I know... pure of heart... believe in the magic... etc. etc.... now give me the not so Disney version before my head explodes) LOL!!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day
    Tales of sword pulling you seek huh? Tis true that the sword may only be pulled from the stone during the ceremony held by old Merlin the Magician. Though I did work in the Land of Fantasy, my adventures never led me out during a pulling. One secret holds true, the sword may only be pulled by one of young age not "young heart". As to magic and sorcery I cannot forthwith pull from my mind an exultation on the "mechanisms" which claim to be a release of the sword from it's standing place within the stone. Rumors have been heard by these ears which run on a parallel with your tales as to how a young one procures the coveted sword. I hope my exultations of things considering swords and "mechanisms" held a ring of understanding with you and cleared away the mist and fog which have up till now clouded you.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    My brother pulled the sword out of the stone when we went to WDW in 1994. I was ALWAYS wondering how they did it. I just assume that the person who plays Merlin has some kind of device that allows it to be pulled.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    I did not realize that the sword came out, I was gonna take a fun photo by it one time, but the line was too long to wait in the heat...
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Well it doesn't come out anymore.

There used to be a show, where Merlin would come out and talk to the kids. He would make some adults I believe try to pull the sword and no one could. He would eventually call up a child to try and the child would be successful. I really loved the show. I wish they would still do it.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    It's still there. The problem is they ended the show for it so now it is totally a photo-op location. I was there one night after Wishes and it was crowded there with the amount of families trying to get a picture with this thing.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Any idea if the show will find it's way back?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe