Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Wonderful World Episode Title in the Ask The Experts forums; I remember an old Wonderful World Of Disney episode about Native American youths who trap some wild horses and train them to ride. One horse ran near the rear and ...
    Earlie Work is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Wonderful World Episode Title

I remember an old Wonderful World Of Disney episode about Native American youths who trap some wild horses and train them to ride. One horse ran near the rear and seemed to be clumsy and slow. The alpha youth even said he would not pick that one because he was too slow. Another youth said that the horse wasn't slow, that he was brave to run behind the others and protect the rear of the herd.
    The youth that said that picks that horse and traps him in a rock and brush canyon and trains the horse to be ridden. They become friends and the youth finally takes the horse back to the encampment where he and his new horse win a race. The alpha Native American youth that had called the horse slow now is jealous and says something like he will honor the other youth by taking his horse from him. The youth is horrified and the alpha youth says something like "Bring the whiteman's bit for this one!"
    Well the horse runs off and the original youth goes after him, rewins his trust and returns to the tribe and wins another race with the outcome being he can keep the horse this time for good for himself.
    I was telling this plot to a co-worker who owns horses and we both agreed it would be a worthwhile show to see again if it were on dvd.
    It was a live actor episode,....not animation. We didn't have tv until 1959 so it couldn't be before then and I moved out of the house in 1970 and don't remember watching much WWofD after that.
    Can anyone tell me what the name of this episode is or someplace on line that would give brief synopsis of each plot for Wonderful World of Disney so I cold find it and try to get it on dvd?
    I have looked up Comanche, the Horse With the Flying Tail, Horse of the West and a few others and none sound like they are the one I am looking for.
    Thanks for any help anyone can be.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I remember seeing that episode when I was a kid also, and then I saw the trailer for it when the disney channel used to show the old disney product late at night on vault disney. But the name escapes me. It's on the tip of my tongue and I can't recall it. It was as you say about the young Indian boy and how he catches the horse and trains it. The used to run alot of Disneyland the show and Walt Disney Presents and Wonderful World of Color at 11pm to 1am and then it got later and later and then they stopped it altogether. I guess not enough people were watching. Darn, I can't remember the name for you; I can see the trailer and the horse ( it was a light color) but the name is not coming out.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You can try here: "Disneyland" (1954) - Episode list for a listing of all the episodes of Wonderful World of Disney (originally called "Disneyland" and a few other things)

I couldn't pick out one that matched your description, but then when you read the list, you'll see Disney made a LOT of horse movies!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    This is driving me nuts because the synopsis sounds so familiar. Out of the list that Dame linked to I narrowed it down to 2 that sound like they are it. The others that sounded like a title were about other things. Maybe this will help you find out. The 1st one sounds like the best bet but is such a common title that it may take days to weed thru the net to find out. Good Luck. MUSTANG and RIDE A WILD PONY
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I just looked at the link from disneydame. Way down the list in season 13, I believe the one you are referring to is---The legend of el blanco. I'm pretty sure.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Earlie Work is offline A-Ticket holder

Tonka in 1962 and in 1958 by Comanche

Thanks for the info about Disney 1954 because I went down the list and think I have found it. It first came out in 1958, but we had no tv then. It replayed in 1962 under the name Tonka.
    Gee! I don't remember it being that early. Thought it was like 1967 or so.
    Anyway, I remember screaming at the tv screen when the cousin takes the horse from Sal Mineo,...how could I forget Sal Mineo...anyway, I must have only half watched after that, having early on had my heart broken, but the horse ends up in the Battle Of the Little Big Horn and I remember nothing of that, only that its original owner got to reclaim it and live happily ever after.
    Yeah! That's the beauty of Disney. No sad endings.
    Thanks to everyone who sent me a message. Glad to see there are others loving Disney and not thinking a 54 year old stupid for wanting an old WWofD tv movie.
    Just saw the ad at the top of this reply board for all of Walt Diney World on DVD...18 DVDs in all click here for details.
    Something to look in to.
    Thanks again.
    Earlie

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I saw Tonka on the list but it has been years since I have seen it or read the book. It focuses more on the horse then the boy is why I didnt think about it being a contender. Very good story and I have always preferred the "based on real life/true story" movies. Guess you are old enuf to remember the "Commanche the Wild Horse" by the same guy who sang "North to Alaska:"
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    By the way, to DWT, Earlie! We're all Disney lovers here, of all ages and interests, so please feel right at home
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page