Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss To Plan or not to plan? in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello! I will be in WDE 10/24-10/28 and I have an itinerary already on what parks I'd like to go to and already have my dinner reservations according to what ...
    jtrain75 is offline B-Ticket Holder

To Plan or not to plan?

Hello!
    I will be in WDE 10/24-10/28 and I have an itinerary already on what parks I'd like to go to and already have my dinner reservations according to what park we'll be at that night. My question is how many people plan the exact order of attractions they'll be visiting? I've read other forums, books and websites that break down what order to go to get the most out of your trip. I do this to an extent, but it's hard to do with a 4 year old sometime, know what I mean?
    So my question on this thread is how detailed are you in your planning?
    visit my website!!

1997- Honeymoon at the Yacht Club
    1999- Disney Cruise & Caribbean Beach Resort (lost 2 days in the park due to Hurricane Floyd)
    2004- Yacht Club & daughter's first visit to WDW
    2005- All Star Movies
    2006- All Star Sports
    2007- All Star Sports
    2008- USF Royal Pacific Resort and All Star Music
    2009- Beach Club
    2010- USF Royal Pacific Resort and Beach
    2011- Wilderness Lodge
    Club

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    I plan out all the pre-arranged thing slike ADRs hard ticket events. I have a matrix with the date time event confirmation number (and cost if I paid ahead, this make it easier to check against my credit card statement). I usually have a general idea about the parks but wait until I can get a solid schedule for EMH ect before I fill in that part of the matrix. The matrix is divided up by days into three blocks morning, afternoon, evening/night. This really only gives me hard time events I don't do an hourly itinerary or anything just a genneral "i'm here for this event at this time" and I kind of fill in the blanks around the hard times. it's a nice mix of scheduling and flexibility. My wife says it's handy because it let's you see what blocks of time are available for on a whim type unplanned stuff.

drop me a message and an e-mail address and i'll send you an example if you want ( i do in in a Word Table).
    Last edited by Veritas; 09-21-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I just plan the meals and the parks. We will be going with 4 kids so I think we will let them each pick one thing per park they feel is a MUST DO and be sure to do those 4 things. After that it will probably be a "here we are" type of thing.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain75 View Post
    Hello!
    I will be in WDE 10/24-10/28 and I have an itinerary already on what parks I'd like to go to and already have my dinner reservations according to what park we'll be at that night. My question is how many people plan the exact order of attractions they'll be visiting? I've read other forums, books and websites that break down what order to go to get the most out of your trip. I do this to an extent, but it's hard to do with a 4 year old sometime, know what I mean?
    So my question on this thread is how detailed are you in your planning?
    This is just my opinion but, Especially when you're going it probably won't be too busy, but if you have the parks planned out I wouldn't worry about planning the rides. Just be free relax and do things at will. I'd say ride all the rides when your in the location so you're not always walking across the park, but as for exact planning I wouldn't be that serious. Just my idea, you're going at a good time, i'll probably be there aswell.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

JackSparrow7 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We always plan out the parks ADR etc., usually according to Extra Magic Hours and regular park hours. If you are planning on going to the park at opening, or staying late for EMH, then it might be a good idea to pick out what attractions to do then. That way, during the rest of the day you can just go on whatever you want, and just worry about those other rides during those times. I hope that makes sense.
    -Tommy-

Quote Originally Posted by JackSparrow7 View Post
    We always plan out the parks ADR etc., usually according to Extra Magic Hours and regular park hours. If you are planning on going to the park at opening, or staying late for EMH, then it might be a good idea to pick out what attractions to do then. That way, during the rest of the day you can just go on whatever you want, and just worry about those other rides during those times. I hope that makes sense.
    That's what I typically do. When I book a trip see what parks are open late, then I make ADR at a restaurant in that park. I usually do a park in the morning, return to the hotel for a nap or pool, then go to the EMH park at night & dinner. I agree with pranker, I just ride what is in my location. I just can't imagine having a set schedule on what rides to go on in a certain order. But then again it works for some people!
    visit my website!!

1999- Disney Cruise & Caribbean Beach Resort (lost 2 days in the park due to Hurricane Floyd)
    2005- All Star Movies
    2006- All Star Sports
    2007- All Star Sports
    2009- Beach Club
    2011- Wilderness Lodge
    Club

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I plan nothing. We let our kids (now 6 and 4) decide what park we're going to that morning or the night before at the earliest.

We make 1 or 2 ADRs for the entire week.

So even though I plan nothing, I arm myself with all possible information. Educate educate educate. That way, I can know general ideas and strategies, and no matter what situation I find myself in, I can know the best plan of attack.

We both work high-stress professional jobs, and our entire "real life" is planned to the minute. The last thing we want to do is live our vacation in the same manner. We hang loose, but because of the near-encyclopedic knowledge I've developed of all things WDW, we have a great time and do it in an efficient manner.

Those 1 or 2 ADRs we make during the week ... we absolutely HATE THEM. We hate the feeling of having to be somewhere at a certain time while on vacation. But we want the kids to enjoy the character meal experiences.
    -- Eric

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    We plan ADR's and parks by EMH. Anything after that point is fair game and happens when it happens. We do pick up Fast Passes for the few things we really want to do, my husband usually goes ahead with the tickets to get them. But we get around to them when we are in the area so we are not wasting our time running across the parks back and forth. We usually know where we are going to sit for parades and shows so we get to those early enough. We try to slow down when we are there as our lives are so rushed as it is. This is our magical place and we try to enjoy the magic as much as possible! We have to make it last long after we leave the parks until our next trip!!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    We plan our sit down meals and what parks we are going to be in. There are other things that we always do but we typically plan as we go.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We don't have a "schedule" to follow at all! If we decide to go to a dinner show we book that, but otherwise we just go with the flow. I love being able to wake up in the morning and not feel like I have to stick to a plan. It's nice to simply be able to spontaniously decide to go to a different park or change what we will do.

I find it interesting how many people have different ways of vacationing in WDW and how they enjoy it differently. Keep posting on how you plan (or don't plan) your stay at WDW!
    visit my website!!

2005- All Star Movies
    2006- All Star Sports
    2007- All Star Sports
    2009- Beach Club
    2011- Wilderness Lodge
    Club

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I agree with Winnie, you can't have too much knowledge when it comes to WDW! We make the adr for character meals only. There are too many nooks, crannies and hidden surprises for the kids to plan anything much in advance. Of course we follow the EMH to make the most of the day. But whichever way you do it a Disney holiday is always magical!! Have a lovely time, I am so jealous!!!