Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Who Were the Designers? in the Ask The Experts forums; I am curious about who did the architecture for the attractions at WDW. The architects are never listed. For instance, who designed Space Mountain, the international pavilions at Epcot, Spaceship ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Who Were the Designers?

I am curious about who did the architecture for the attractions at WDW. The architects are never listed. For instance, who designed Space Mountain, the international pavilions at Epcot, Spaceship Earth, Sleeping Beauty's Castle,etc. ?

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Welcome to the DWT forums Myron!!!!

Great Question!!!!

I have moved your question to the "Ask the Experts" section of the boards so that more people will notice it.

We have many "experts" here that I hope have an answer for you. I look forward to hearing the answermyself.

Have fun and keep those questions coming.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanks

I think that Uncle Walt(WED) used Welton Beckett & Associates to design the Carousel of Progress & Progressland as well as the Ford Motor "Magic Skyway" at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair but I don't know if he also used them as architects at Disneyland or Walt Disney World. No website lists the architects/designers. "The Living Seas" and the "The World of Energy" with the mirrored facade have beautiful designs.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Many of the designs are attributed to "the imagineers" and are team efforts. You might enjoy these books on the subject:

Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show, by John Hench (Imagineer who designed Space Mountain and many others)
    Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance, edited by Karal Ann Marling
    Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real, by The Imagineers
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I was going to recommend those books - in particular, The Architecture of Reassurance which is simply a great book.

The Imagineers' book is also really good. You may be able to find them at your local library, or have them get them via interlibrary loan. They are simply amazing and have lots of info.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    The people who designed nearly everything in the parks are the "Imagineers" and it is intentional that they don't get individual public recognition as they are part of a huge team and don't want to detract from the experience. Imagineers sometimes sneak "hidden mickeys" in to attractions to leave a little mark of their own. Other times, they drop in their initials or birthdate to the themeing, such as in Seabase Alpha at the living seas, where serial numbers on crates and pipes are Imagineer's initials and birthdays. Mouseplanet has a page with a list of some of the hidden tributes to Imagineers.

The original Imagineers were people Walt hand-picked who worked on his films - animators and designers and technicians and engineers - to work on his "Disney Land" idea. It grew from there.

I once again suggest the books above (I just pulled them off my coffee table to glance at them again)

Imagineering.org also has some more info, but really you want to check out those books

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    First, Welcome the the DWT.com family.

Second, if I recall correctley, on one of the shows on the Travel Channel, they did mention the designers of Spaceship Earth and Cinderella's Castle. I'm positive, but I recorded the shows and I will watch them again and I will post whatever I find out.
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Mark Goldhaber is offline B-Ticket Holder
    MousePlanet will have a series later this year by former Imagineer George McGinnis, about the design and construction of Space Mountain at Walt Disney World and Disneyland. I've seen about half of the WDW story so far. It's going to be very good.