Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Space Mountain Question in the Ask The Experts forums; Space Mountain's top speed is actually only 28 mph. Its just the fact that its in the dark and you cant really anticipate sharp turns that makes it feel faster ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Space Mountain's top speed is actually only 28 mph. Its just the fact that its in the dark and you cant really anticipate sharp turns that makes it feel faster than it is.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Yeah. I guess what makes it intense is the fact that since it's dark, you can't see sharp turns. They come when you least expect it.
    there's nothing to get hung about

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    I have Space Mountain memorized. =D

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchFan23 View Post
    Does SM have loops or incredibly intense moments?
    The only WDW roller coaster with any loops or inversions is the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster at Disney/MGM. Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, and Expedition Everest all do not go upside down at any point.

At DisneyQuest's Cyberspace Mountain, you design your own coaster and you can decide whether or not you want to go upside down.

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Space Mountain was my first roller coaster, too, when I was 8. I was terrified and chickened-out at the last minute. But I screwed up the courage to go and loved it. Speed, but nothing too extreme. My wife and I had annual passes to DL and would ride Space Mountain 15 times in a night.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

SnowWhiteFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you've never been on any rougher/faster rides, I'd suggest starting with Barnstormer. If you're fine with that, then try either Space or Thunder mountain. Thunder mountain may look less frightening, because it's outdoors, so you can see the track. But if you can handle that, then I'm sure you can handle Space Mountain.

I'd say, try it once. If you hate it, well, it's only a few minutes of your life. And if you love it, then you just discovered a new fun thing to do at the MK!

I'd never been on any of the mountains until I went to WDW with my band in college. I got peer pressured into trying Space Mountain, and I LOVED it. It's one of my favorites. I also got peer pressured into trying Rockin' Rollercoaster. It was a bit intense for me at the time, but after a few go-rounds I grew to love it, too. Last time I sat in front and even kept my eyes open the whole time! I'm so brave (tee hee). So I guess peer pressure isn't always a bad thing.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchFan23 View Post
    Yeah. I guess what makes it intense is the fact that since it's dark, you can't see sharp turns. They come when you least expect it.
    It's a BLAST kiddo!!! Go for it!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Is Everest much worse than SM?? I don't mind the speed I just don't like the big drop deal. I know it drops in reverse but as long as its not a big drop I'm cool with that. I rode all rollercoasters there except RNR and Everest. Space mountain isn't all that bad. I prefer the track on the left when you go in. There's less drops although there not very big.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Everest is much tamer than Space Mountain. It's only in the dark half of the time, there are still no loops or inversions, the seat is much deeper so you don't feel like you're going to fly out, and there are no big drops. Everest is all about the turns. The only thing that makes Everest possibly "worse" than Space Mountain is that it goes backwards for about 20 seconds in the middle of the ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12