Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Soarin' and Motion Sickness question in the Ask The Experts forums; A good hint: if you are prone to motion sickness, just look at the top of the screen or the extreme sides of it. This takes away the sensation of ...
    tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    A good hint: if you are prone to motion sickness, just look at the top of the screen or the extreme sides of it. This takes away the sensation
    of the movement your brain sees on the screen.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteFan View Post
    For cruises, my mom and I both swear by the Transderm Scop patch. It's a perscription patch that you put behind your ear. Each patch lasts for 3 days and is INCREDIBLE at at preventing nausea. On the last cruise I was on, it was a small ship, and there was a day with really rough water (plus it was a day at sea and we were moving FAST). People were stumbling all through the hallways, and LOTS of people got seasick. But my mom and I were fine. I wouldn't recommend it for the ordinary car trip, but for a long plane ride, cruise, even a weekend car trip, I'd highly recommend it. It does have some side effects (like dry-mouth), but it doesn't make you drowsy.

I probably sound like a commercial. But seriously - my mom and I literally toasted the patch on our last cruise, 'cause without it we wouldn't have been there!
    I will keep that in mind. My mom and I had to go to the infirmary for medicine. The doctor could look at my mom and tell she was sick. I was feeling better by the time we went to get medicine, so I didn't take any until later. I only took a couple of pills the whole trip, but we were both drowsy after taking them. I don't get sick on thrill rides, but for a very long car ride in the backseat, or if I read in the car for longer than 20 minutes, I begin to feel funny. The movement of the ship after a few hours really got to me. I was very happy to be in port. I hope we get to try a Disney cruise sometime. Their ships are larger than what we were on. I had fun on our cruise, but I wouldn't do again for a long time. My favorite part of the cruise was Nassau. I would love to take a trip to Nassau. I was hoping to see a Disney ship while we were in Nassau because about 8 other ships were in port that day. As of now, I would much rather stay on dry land and go to WDW. Sorry for the OT.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Your mom will be fine- I get seriously motion sick- sometimes if I am even driving myself and I love Soarin'. Don't let her go on Mission:Space, though. I ignored all the warnings, and there are plenty of them. I got very, very sick.

I wish I was riding Soarin' right now!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    My sister and mother get motion sickness on some things. Although they both rode Soarin and got through it, they said it wasn't something they needed to do again. My personal thought on the subject though is that it was the height and not the motion part of Soarin that was the problem. We did put them on the bottom row in the middle so they didn't see many people moving in the other seats much. On the positive side we sat with people on our last trip who had a bad case of motion sickness and they did fantastic. It think it will depend on the person. Maybe if you go first thing to Soarin before you eat it will make things better.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

jenlar is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am someone who gets extremely motion sick from lots of things but Soarin' is a do-not-miss for me. This ride is smooth, tight, and the best motion simulator around. The only actual movement is the gentle tipping of your chairs that actually keeps you from becoming disoriented.

The *only* part of Soarin' that is even remotely hard for me is near the end, when you're flying over the city. If I ride on the top, the sensation is better. The city sequence is over sooo quickly, though, and then you're back to the smoother video.

Really... don't miss this ride because of motion sickness!

CheshireCat is offline A-Ticket holder
    Oahu, Hawaii.....gorgeous here.....but only here for one more year....then back to the mainland.....who knows where....LOL.
    I have not been on Soarin'....but I do get motion sickness to a point...sometimes worse than others. I did want to suggest eating Ginger Snap cookies about 45 minutes before rides that may make you feel ill. This is a fact & a true remedy that I tried myself while driving the Road to Hana on Maui. It works!!!!!~ You will not come off rides with that dizzy feeling.
    "I'll Be Your Candle on the Water"

Favorite Disney Movie : Sleeping Beauty

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    My mum can't ride the teacups or Mission Mars because of her motion sickness, but Soarin did not affect her at all, in fact we rode 4 times in a row!!!

MrsBleuSkye is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I love, love, love soarin'. I rode it 6 times this trip. 5 times alone. My husband is afraid of heights and after the first time...there was no more for him.

I have bad issues with motion sickness. And, unfortunately it's not the motion, it's the visual simulation that gets to me. I just pop a dramamine and I'm good to go all day. By the time it's worn off, I'm 'acclimated'. Dramamine has made it possible for me to enjoy many rides I could never ever do. Not even something like Star Tours. They even make the less drowsy formula now so with all the moving around and stuff I do, I don't have time to get sleepy.
    ~Stacy~

Aug, 1981- First visit. Off Property
    Dec, 1997- Honeymoon! Off Property
    Oct, 2004- Return trip. 7 yrs was too long to go back. The BoardWalk
    Sep, 2006- Ladies only. PoP Century
    Oct, 2007- Early 10th Anniversary. The Yacht Club
    Feb, 2008- Neice's graduation gift. PoP Century

BigDan275 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My wife is scared of heights so that was the only thing that bothered her, otherwise we expereinced no motion sickness!
    Disneyland Trips :14
    89 (Disneyland Hotel)
    91 (Fairfield in by Marriot)
    95 (Disneyland Hotel Suite overlooking Splash Mountain)
    96 (Hyatt Anaheim)
    98 (Anaheim Marriot)
    99 (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (new years) (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (Anaheim Marriot)
    01 (Anaheim Hyatt, Suite)
    02 (Anaheim Hilton)
    03 (Anaheim Hilton)
    04 (Anaheim Hilton/ Huntington Beach Hyatt)
    05 (Anaheim Hilton)
    06 (Anaheim Hilton)

Disneyworld
    04 (Hyatt Grand Cypress) <nice hotel!>
    Spring 07 (Off property, Lake Suites a.k.a. Roadkill Motel) Absolutely wonderful trip!!
    Fall 07 Oct 24th-31st Coronado Springs......amazing! I miss it!!

SnowWhiteFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    I did want to suggest eating Ginger Snap cookies about 45 minutes before rides that may make you feel ill. This is a fact & a true remedy that I tried myself while driving the Road to Hana on Maui. It works!!!!!~ You will not come off rides with that dizzy feeling.
    That's a great tip that makes a lot of sense. Ginger in general is a good tummy-soother. That's why people recommend ginger ale for an upset stomach - it's the ginger, not the bubbles, that help.

I haven't thought of ginger snap cookies, but I have found ginger altoids, which probably have a similar effect. I bet the cookies are yummier, though!

WaltDisneyFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yeah, I'm mostly just confirming what others said, but I'm afraid of heights and had no trouble on Soarin'. I know it depends on the person and all, but it actually ended up being one of my favorite rides. I remember being scared buckling into my seat and laughing as soon as we started lifting up. Don't miss this one.

Most of the feeling of motion is from watching the enormous screen, so close your eyes if it's too much. It's true that the seats do tilt slightly, but it's only to enhance the effect, I don't imagine you'd be able to feel it that much if your eyes were closed. Besides, if you really don't like it, the ride is only 5 minutes long anyways (which is too short for those of us who enjoy it! )

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Love Soarin', just thought (as a reminder) for the people who have height issues, that third row is not too far off the ground, seems like 8 feet or so. If heights are the problem, ask to be placed in the line for the third (back) row as it is closest to the ground. Enjoy.

SnowWhiteFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey all! I know this thread is old by now, but I wanted to report back now that our trip is over (sniff sniff). My mom went on Soarin' and was fine, as most of you predicted. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that we all went on it a second time - in the front/top row! Yay!

So thanks again for all your advice - without it, I probably wouldn't have been able to convince her to even try. And now she has a new favorite ride. Hurray!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    That's fantastic!
    Yes, it's tough to get back to the real world, but now you can start planning that next trip.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteFan View Post
    That's a great tip that makes a lot of sense. Ginger in general is a good tummy-soother. That's why people recommend ginger ale for an upset stomach - it's the ginger, not the bubbles, that help.

I haven't thought of ginger snap cookies, but I have found ginger altoids, which probably have a similar effect. I bet the cookies are yummier, though!
    In the UK they have ginger beer (non-alcoholic) which I tasted for the first time this week. I was told it has the same medicinal qualities as ginger ale. It has a stronger ginger taste; more like ginger ale and sprite.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast