Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Soarin' and Motion Sickness question in the Ask The Experts forums; I have a question/am seeking advice about Soarin', and who better to ask than an online Disney community? I LOVED Soarin' when I was at WDW last fall. I'm going ...
    SnowWhiteFan is offline A-Ticket holder

Soarin' and Motion Sickness question

I have a question/am seeking advice about Soarin', and who better to ask than an online Disney community?

I LOVED Soarin' when I was at WDW last fall. I'm going with my family this winter, and am hoping to bring my parents on the ride. My one concern is my mom's occasional propensity to motion sickness. Do any of you get motion sickness? If so, were you ok on Soarin', or did it bother you?

A bit more info: my mom is fine on most of the tamer dark rides (e.g. Peter Pan, PotC, etc), but would never go on any of the mountains. She's usually fine on airplanes and ok in cars (unless it's stop-and-go traffic), but gets seasick on boats (if she doesn't have meds).

Any thoughts/opinions?

I'd really appreciate your input. As the most Disney-obsessed member of the family, I'm the official tour guide for the trip. I'd hate to cause anyone discomfort, but would also hate for my folks to miss out on such a fabulous ride!

Note: Cross-posted on Sorcerer1

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    My DH also gets motion sickness but he didn't have any problem on Soarin, but in Universal he just about keeled over on Jimmy Neutron.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    My wife tends to have tummy trouble on certain rides. She's never had any trouble with Soarin. My guess would be heights rather than motion sickness would be a problem.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    As I recall, once the ride gets into position, I don't think that it really "moves" much. It's the screen that makes you beleive you are moving. Closing your eyes should help one feel less uncomfortable.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    My guess would be heights rather than motion sickness would be a problem.
    Good point - I'll have to ask her if she's ok with heights.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    As I recall, once the ride gets into position, I don't think that it really "moves" much. It's the screen that makes you beleive you are moving. Closing your eyes should help one feel less uncomfortable.
    That was my thought - but I also couldn't really tell/remember how much the ride actually moves (the movie was too enthralling - I never took my eyes off of it!)!

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    My mom gets motion sickness to but her fovorite ride in Disney World now is Soarin'. She has not yet once got sick on that ride. My grandparents won a trip to Disney World in April and my step grandmother got a little sick on it but other than that I have not hear of one person getting sick on it.
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

vowell1055 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Yeah, if she's okay on planes, she'll be fine on Soarin'.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    My wife is prone to motion sickness -- she really can't do the likes of Star Tours or Body Wars -- but she was fine on Soarin'.

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I did not have any problems at all. If you're concerned, ask for the bottom row. When you land, the feeling will be minimal, if anything at all.

It really is a gentle ride. It's awesome!!

Enjoy!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    My wife is prone to motion sickness -- she really can't do the likes of Star Tours or Body Wars -- but she was fine on Soarin'.
    My mom has a really tough time with the Star Tours/Body Wars style rides, too (partially due to a vision problem). I'm glad to hear your wife is OK with Soarin, though. I think it's a fantastic ride, and I'd hate for my parents to miss out on it!

Quote Originally Posted by AAADisneyFan View Post
    I did not have any problems at all. If you're concerned, ask for the bottom row. When you land, the feeling will be minimal, if anything at all.
    Why do you think the bottom row will have less sensation? Because you're not physically moving as much to return to ground level?

In the 3 or 4 times I've been on the ride, I've never managed to be in the top row, so I was hoping for that. But I suppose we could try it once on the bottom row, and if everyone is fine, then I gues it's an excuse to ride again!

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    Quote Originally Posted by AAADisneyFan View Post

It really is a gentle ride. It's awesome!!

Enjoy!
    I completely agree with AAADisneyFan - sit on the bottom row and anyone should be pretty much fine with this ride! It's a great one that you shouldn't miss!

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Why do you think the bottom row will have less sensation? Because you're not physically moving as much to return to ground level?
    That's exactly why. You don't feel much on any level, and I rode in all rows just last week. Your return to the ground takes less time (by just a few seconds) and the distance isn't as great. I don't think you'd feel it as much. I felt it just a touch in the very top row.

Have fun!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    My mom gets motion sick very easily. We was terribly sick on a cruise (not Disney, we haven't tried Disney), and it's best if she drives a car instead of rides. If she is riding, she must be in the passenger and not for a long trip. She hasn't been on a plane, since she thew up on the man next to her 20 years ago.

I'm telling all of that to say that she feels completely fine on Soarin'. I know it depends on the person, but if someone was to get sick - it would be my mom.

My grandmother did feel funny when we landed, but I'm not sure it was motion sickness. It may have been that she isn't used to something like that. We didn't tell her what it was, so she didn't know what to expect. If it really was a funny feeling due to the movie, she was over it within 5 minutes.

I hope your mom gets a chance to ride.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by hillo View Post
    My mom gets motion sick very easily. We was terribly sick on a cruise (not Disney, we haven't tried Disney), and it's best if she drives a car instead of rides. If she is riding, she must be in the passenger and not for a long trip. She hasn't been on a plane, since she thew up on the man next to her 20 years ago.
    For cruises, my mom and I both swear by the Transderm Scop patch. It's a perscription patch that you put behind your ear. Each patch lasts for 3 days and is INCREDIBLE at at preventing nausea. On the last cruise I was on, it was a small ship, and there was a day with really rough water (plus it was a day at sea and we were moving FAST). People were stumbling all through the hallways, and LOTS of people got seasick. But my mom and I were fine. I wouldn't recommend it for the ordinary car trip, but for a long plane ride, cruise, even a weekend car trip, I'd highly recommend it. It does have some side effects (like dry-mouth), but it doesn't make you drowsy.

I probably sound like a commercial. But seriously - my mom and I literally toasted the patch on our last cruise, 'cause without it we wouldn't have been there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast