Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Hotel Suggestions in the Ask The Experts forums; I wasn't sure if I should put this post under vacation planning or Ask The Experts, but I decided to post it here. My family and I always stay at ...

Hotel Suggestions

I wasn't sure if I should put this post under vacation planning or Ask The Experts, but I decided to post it here.

My family and I always stay at The Contemporary Resort, period. Well, except for a few times long ago when we've stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, and the Polynesian. I want to go back this year. I'll be away from home in a few years, and my grandparents are not too well, and we can't get away as a family (all three of us) all too often, so it would mean a lot to me if we could go. We want a hotel that is convenient; first bus stop (preferably), and not too long a walk from bus stop to lobby and lobby to hotel rooms. Preferably, closer to the Magic Kingdom than any other park. In addition we don't want just a fast food restaurant; something a little bit nicer would be good, and there are some vegetarians in the group, so animal heads on the walls of restaurants (namely, Fort Wilderness) is a large problem. And, we'd like something a little less, okay, less, than the Contemporary's high room price.

I know this sounds like a lot, but if any of these requests can be bent a little, that's fine. I love Disney, and know a lot about many hotels, but I wanted to hear from someone who has actually stayed there and knows exactly what the hotel is like. We'd want to plan for a trip on my March break from school, so the sooner we have info, the better!
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I'd suggest Port Orleans: French Quarter, or its sister resort, Port Orleans: Riverside. Both are moderate resorts.

French Quarter is small and compact. Even from the farthest room in the farthest building, it won't take more than 5 minutes to get to the food court & bus stop. There is only one bus stop, and it is first on the route it shares with Riverside. Location is sort of between MK and Epcot. Travel time was not long to any park.
    The one thing French Quarter does not have is the sit-down restaurant, but there is one at Riverside which is a short boat or bus ride away, or it can be a pleasant walk along the river to get to it. The boats also go to Downtown Disney, which of course has plenty of dining options.

If you go with Riverside instead, request a Magnolia Bend room, either in Parterre Place or Oak Manor. A short walk over a bridge gets you to the lobby, food court, restaurant, and South Depot, which is the first stop at Riverside (the bus will have people from French Quarter on it, but you'll be the first of 4 stops at Riverside)
    Alternately, Buildings 14 and 15 in the Alligator Bayou section are closer to the first bus stop and the dining/lobby. In the Bayou section, you may be able to request a trundle bed, which allows a 5th person (child-sized) in the room.

Boatwrights, the table-service restaurant, serves breakfast and dinner. Breakfast has a banana-stuffed french toast that if you're a fan of Tonga Toast from the Polynesian, this is similar but with strawberries too. The food courts at both Port Orleans resorts consist of several stations with a variety of foods including a bakery/ice cream counter, pizza, pasta, tacos, Philly Cheesesteak, chicken & ribs, breakfast platters (eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc.) and self serve beverage bars.

Hope this helps - I just returned from Riverside, so feel free to ask any questions!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Thanks so much! That does help. I will share this info with my family! We went to Port Orleans French Quarter a long time ago when there was still a Dixie Landings!!!

Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside both sound great! Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I would suggest the Wilderness Lodge, it's the least expensive of the Delux resorts and it is so beautiful. Ask for an inner courtyard view you may be able to see Bay Lake, the geyser, and the pool. You don't have to deal with busses to the MK, just walk out back and take the boat to the MK, what a relaxing way to go. Whispering Canyon is a fun family style place to eat and Artist Point is fine dining and they have a snack bar as well. I think eveyone would enjoy this place for it's beauty and tranquility.

Last edited by GIOny; 10-12-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I agree with Pat. We stayed at the French Quarter last year and had a room steps from the lobby/restaurant building. You then only have to walk basically just down to the corner to catch a bus. Better I think than Riverside as far as that goes. We got on the boat often to go to dinner at downtown. That was so nice, and it's like you get to see some hidden part of the World when you are riding along on your way to dinner. The rooms are pretty nice too.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Any More Suggestions?

Jenn31708 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I read somewhere that Coronado Springs Resort is one of the first bus stops at all of the parks. It's a moderate resort though, wasn't sure if you wanted a deluxe. I've only stayed at the polynesian and the all-stars.

BigDan275 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I just got back from Disneyworld and can confirm that Coronado is the first bus stop at most if not all the parks, it is also a fanstatic hotel with lots of food options. Absolutely gorgeous. Jusk ask to stay in building 9b and you will be close to the main lobby, other than that, they have 5 bus stops so anywhere you stay is good!

big dan
    Disneyland Trips :14
    89 (Disneyland Hotel)
    91 (Fairfield in by Marriot)
    95 (Disneyland Hotel Suite overlooking Splash Mountain)
    96 (Hyatt Anaheim)
    98 (Anaheim Marriot)
    99 (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (new years) (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (Anaheim Marriot)
    01 (Anaheim Hyatt, Suite)
    02 (Anaheim Hilton)
    03 (Anaheim Hilton)
    04 (Anaheim Hilton/ Huntington Beach Hyatt)
    05 (Anaheim Hilton)
    06 (Anaheim Hilton)

Disneyworld
    04 (Hyatt Grand Cypress) <nice hotel!>
    Spring 07 (Off property, Lake Suites a.k.a. Roadkill Motel) Absolutely wonderful trip!!
    Fall 07 Oct 24th-31st Coronado Springs......amazing! I miss it!!