Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Off Disney in the Ask The Experts forums; I wonder if anyone can be of assistance We have been to Florida before but stayed on Internation Drive and only did Universal We have booked to go stay at ...
    PJC
    PJC is offline A-Ticket holder

Off Disney

I wonder if anyone can be of assistance

We have been to Florida before but stayed on Internation Drive and only did Universal

We have booked to go stay at Disney next April with transfers included to and from the airport and have not booked car hire

If we wanted to travel off Disney to visit International Drive is there any bus service we could get or would we have to hire a car?

Only wanted to visit for 1/2 day and didnt really want to use a car

If not bus service how much would a cab cost?

Any information would be greatly received

Kind regards

PJ

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    The only public transportation system I'm aware of in Orlando is the Lynx bus system. I'm sure that they can get you from Disney to anywhere else of interest in the Orlando area, but I'm not sure how complicated or expensive it would be. They have a web site at LYNX - Welcome to LYNX! where you should be able to look up route maps, schedules, and fares.

As far as car services, I haven't used any myself, but there's a company called Mears Transportation (Orlando Airport Limousine, Towncar, Motorcoach, Passenger Van - Charter Rates) and I see more of their vans and shuttles on property than all others put together, so they're at least popular and familiar with Disney property.

Once you've found your way to I-Drive, they have a trolley service that runs up and down most of the length of the tourist and shopping zone. Check out I Ride Trolley

Hope this helps.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Car rentals are cheap.. I paid 19.95 a day through Alamo through Priceline. Gonna spend way more than that to use the other Trans system. Disney to and from Airport is free.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    The front desk of any Disney property will get a cab for you or help get you to outside transportation. They did this at All Star Music for a big group heading to Sea World with no transportation-called a cab company and got a mini bus. I paid $20 dollars to go from All Star Music to the Grand Floridian for breakfast (overslept in my comfy bed) so I do not know what the rates would be.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I grew up in Orlando, and must admit that one of the flaws of the area is the poor mass transit. Lynx bus service is about it. That said, most of the other advice is excellent. 19.95 for a rental car is probably much cheaper than a cab, and the rental companies will come pick you up.

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I also stay on Disney, I have never hired a car but have used Mears they are v. good but not cheap. I have also used a cab which was v. reasonable x x

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    There is also a rental car service at the Alamo/National at the Swan and Dolphin hotel. It has worked out everytime we have ever used it!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!