Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss 91-92 Woman hurt on HM ride? in the Ask The Experts forums; Is it true a woman wandered around the Haunted Mansion ride and got both of her feet cut off? I have heard this story from my Mother and my Uncle ...
    TyKatMadismomma is offline A-Ticket holder

Question 91-92 Woman hurt on HM ride?

Is it true a woman wandered around the Haunted Mansion ride and got both of her feet cut off? I have heard this story from my Mother and my Uncle who was a CM for night shift custodial. My Uncle is still a CM he has been with Disney for 25years.
    Elizabeth, Momma to
    Tyler 11,
    Kaitlyn 7,
    Madison 2,
    Wife to Terry

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    yes it is....I had just returne to WDW as a Character Performer in Spectro after 6 years in the navy and it happened in the fall of 91.

They shut the ride down for the day to medivac her out. I spoke with one of the HM Cast Members that night, who told me this version of the story (most of which was confirmed by a small article buried in the Orlando Sentinel the next day). It was a young Teenager who was on the ride with her cousins. She thought it would be "cool" to climb out of her Doom Buggy to try to scare them during the ride. Her feet got caught in the track system and she was dragged along for some distance on her face before the intrusion sensor kicked in and shut down the attraction.

Disney took statements from everyone including the cousins who verified that she was out of her car. In spite of not being at fault, Disney still offered to pay her medical expenses. She required extensive plastic surgery to her face along with the other physical problems that resulted. The ride was shut down the rest of the day and she was medivac'd to Orlando Regional Medical Center's trauma unit.

So kids, when the Ghost Host tells you to remain quietly seated at all times....HE MEANS IT!!!!!!

EDIT: I am really surprised someone on here has heard of this incident it was so long ago and kept relatively quiet.

TyKatMadismomma is offline A-Ticket holder

Red face

We just thought my uncle was trying to scare us. My mom gave me the whole story as my Uncle told her he was on the "clean up crew" it was pretty gory.
    Elizabeth, Momma to
    Tyler 11,
    Kaitlyn 7,
    Madison 2,
    Wife to Terry

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    My Goodness, that is just awful! Why do people do these things? It seems like most of the time someone is hurt or (unfortuneatly) killed on Disney property, it is because of something totally stupid.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Do all of these folks think the warnings are just a suggestion? Grief, this is almost pet peeve quality stuff. Makes you wonder why some people think they are exempt from the rules, and then blame everyone else when there is a problem. ARGH!! Guess there will come a day when we all have to sign legal waivers before going to any carnival, theme park or water park.

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Seriously!!!1 Why do they do it? I don't understand it, they don't give you safety instructions to be killjoys, they do it for YOUR safety. You would think that people would get that

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkelly View Post
    Why do they do it?
    ...because people are idiots!
    - Matt

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    Not to judgemental but that is one of the stupidist thing a person could do.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Wow! That's why you listen to the announcements kids!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Even then, you shouldn't need an announcement warning you to stay in your ride vehicle... anywhere... on anything... I mean... use common sense people.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Even then, you shouldn't need an announcement warning you to stay in your ride vehicle... anywhere... on anything... I mean... use common sense people.
    I usually tend to think people spend their common sense on more popcorn and soda and those tacky souvenir golf balls.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I usually tend to think people spend their common sense on more popcorn and soda and those tacky souvenir golf balls.
    I think honestly they leave it in their cars or back at their hotel rooms. I've noticed evidence of it at the TTC on many occasions.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I think honestly they leave it in their cars or back at their hotel rooms. I've noticed evidence of it at the TTC on many occasions.
    I actually believe people don't have any to begin with, but I think that's rather depressing to think we're living in a world full of stupid people, so I just say they spent it on something they shouldn't have, it also explains why they're going broke and gas is going high, and I should stop before this topic goes a whole other direction. So let me just add my two cents to hope to add to everyone's common sense:

When boarding a jungle boat, and you happen to see crates in the middle of the boat, RESIST THE URGE TO CROSS THEM! Listen to the skilled boat loaders, they have some method that only they know how to cram 361 people on each boat in under a minute, but that never works because people don't listen to directions, or want to sit "here" instead of "all the way down." If you're boarding in the front door, don't cross over the center crates. If you're in the back door, you walk around the engine and slide all the way down filling all empty spaces. And then when it's time to get off your boat, you go out the through the same door you came on, which also means no crossing over those center crates. The center crates are mostly for the front door guests if they're trying to fill in the last little space that fits 2 people for 4 people, so there's room for 2 in the door and 2 in the center and the're not split up. After saying all this, I just realized I'm just preaching to the choir here, I'm sure you guys follow the rules, and because of that, here's a smiley with mouse ears

As for everyone else, follow the rules, and no one gets hurt or looks stupid not following rules.
    *steps off crate because he couldn't find a soap box anywhere*

To be honest, I think I've only ridden the Jungle Cruise once in all of the years I've been going to WDW. I guess I'll have to ride it after I get my first Dole Whip.
    Now that we are totally of topic... I'll have to agree that people (as a group) are totally stupid.
    - Matt

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    There have been many rather tragic incidents at Disneyland and Walt Disney World because of a lack of common sense.

Two different people were killed in the 1970s within a couple of years of each other on the Peoplemover at Disneyland. Both teenagers who thought it would be fun to try to jump from car to car. Made for a nasty cleanup by the CMs.

One problem in particular is that the immersion into the fantasy aspect of any of the Disney parks causes people to forget that real world physics and issues are still at work. You can still be seriously injured or killed. The safety precautions are not there just so we can hear Jack Wagner or Paul Frieze or Pete Renoudet say something else.

The rides are so much more fun when you live to get off of them and talk with your friends about the parts you liked and the parts you didn't like.

If you want to be daring, you should attend anyone of the multitudes of Stunt Schools and Gymnastics places, where you can learn how to safely have a thrill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast