Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Hotels not owned by Disney? in the Ask The Experts forums; I just got back from a Disney vacation and yesterday we were at Downtown Disney. As we were leaving to go back to the hotel (offsite, what were my parents ...
    pupdogwolf is offline A-Ticket holder

Hotels not owned by Disney?

I just got back from a Disney vacation and yesterday we were at Downtown Disney. As we were leaving to go back to the hotel (offsite, what were my parents thinking?) we didn't go through the main exit/entrance (we went through the one really close to Downtown Disney. However, as we were leaving, I noticed a bunch of hotels such as the Hilton, etc that were INSIDE Disney World. I've never heard of hotels other than the Swan and Dolphin not owned by Disney inside the world. So my question is, what's up with this?
    1997-Offsite
    2001-Offsite
    2005-Wilderness Lodge
    2007-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2008- Offsite (Grrr darn parents)

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think you are referring to the hotels just outside Downtown Disney. They've been there for many years under various hotel chains. We stayed in the building that is now a Hilton, but was then a Howard Johnson. I believe that when we stayed there, they had transportation to various parks in Disney World, but do not have the extras that come with staying in a Disney owned hotel. These were good hotels to use before the All Star Resorts were available.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by pupdogwolf View Post
    I just got back from a Disney vacation and yesterday we were at Downtown Disney. As we were leaving to go back to the hotel (offsite, what were my parents thinking?) we didn't go through the main exit/entrance (we went through the one really close to Downtown Disney. However, as we were leaving, I noticed a bunch of hotels such as the Hilton, etc that were INSIDE Disney World. I've never heard of hotels other than the Swan and Dolphin not owned by Disney inside the world. So my question is, what's up with this?

They're on the fringe of Disney property, basically across the street from Downtown Disney. Yes, they're on Disney property, no, they're not Disney hotels. Not Disney owned nor operated. They also do not participate in any of the on-site benefits such as EMH, package delivery, room charging, etc. The Disney busses do not make stops there, though most (maybe all?) have their own bus/shuttle system, or you could walk across the street to Downtown Disney (depending on the time of day) and catch Disney transportation that way.

There's one more non-Disney-on-Disney hotel too: Shades of Green. It's owned and operated by the US Military, and only available to active and retired military members and their families.

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin which is on property but not Disney. It was great, but, still not Disney. Disney ranks up there with any 5 star I've stayed at. Plus, the theming is huge for me and my young son. The architecture at the S&D was phenomenal, but cannot touch the Disney magic.

I'd be curious to hear thoughts about some of the suites off property because they seem to offer so much for so little. The Sheraton Vistana has 2 bedroom suites for just north of $100. Also, the Wyndham Buena Vista is on property across from Downtown Disney and looks nice. Anyone stay at these recently?
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by TestSherpa View Post
    I've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin which is on property but not Disney. It was great, but, still not Disney. Disney ranks up there with any 5 star I've stayed at. Plus, the theming is huge for me and my young son. The architecture at the S&D was phenomenal, but cannot touch the Disney magic.

I'd be curious to hear thoughts about some of the suites off property because they seem to offer so much for so little. The Sheraton Vistana has 2 bedroom suites for just north of $100. Also, the Wyndham Buena Vista is on property across from Downtown Disney and looks nice. Anyone stay at these recently?
    My DH and I stayed at the Hilton after decades of staying on site. We could not get on site ressies since we were booking days before we decided on a very impromptu visit and everything was booked or would have cost a left lung for a room for a few days. The room was very nice. Large beds with upscale mattress etc, bathrooms very nice. The hotel was great however at least half the guests were convention/business so half the folks were in shorts etc. other suits and ties. We could deal with that, not having our kids with us (as I was coming off a convention) however it was the bus service that would keep us from willingly pick this again. Many years ago all these non-Disney Hotels, but on property went to their own coach buses. Nice vehicles and plenty of room. The service ran well going to the parks. Coming back to the hotel, ugly. Once we took a cab. The other times we started dining or lounging at a Disney Hotel and then busing to Downtown Disney and walking back to the Hilton from there. We didn't have kids with us so it was feasible and the weather cooperated. My suggestion if you stay in one of these is to take a cab back, about $15+, with the money you'd be saving off-site not so bad. I'd still rather be at a Disney Moderate over the upscale Hilton for theming and convenience. S&D at least have Disney buses.