Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Blimp Over MGM in '92 in the Ask The Experts forums; So by now some of you have probably seen the threads I've been posting after my recent foray into scanning my Disney memories... Well, while going through these and having ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Blimp Over MGM in '92

So by now some of you have probably seen the threads I've been posting after my recent foray into scanning my Disney memories... Well, while going through these and having questions pop into my head concerning them I came across this photo from 1992:

Yes it's a lovely photo of the explosion during Indy... but it's more than that. I even overlooked this little detail until I was uploading the photos to PhotoBucket. Anyone else see a blimp in the upper left hand corner of this shot? It caught my eye because I know typically the area over the world is restricted airspace so I'm curious if anyone has a clue what this is. The only thought I had was that it was something related to the sports complex or the race track but when I had no definite answer I thought I'd come to my lovely Disney Experts.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder
    it's universal spying in a disguised disney blimp!!!!!!!!!!!
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiddenmickeyboy View Post
    it's universal spying in a disguised disney blimp!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL!!! Well see I can't tell if it's a Disney blimp either so who knows. I just was shocked to see it because far as I knew you could fly anything over the Disney property.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Actually in the early 90s the company opted to give up most of its restricted air space because it cost too much to maintain it. For security they keep a lower margin, but once that ban lifted tons of marketing planes and blimps like the one in your photo began to appear.