Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Any experience with service dogs? in the Ask The Experts forums; Our upcoming land-sea-land trip will be the first while travelling with a Seeing Eye dog. I have the Disney guides to disabilities and have been reading up on a passporters ...
    cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Any experience with service dogs?

Our upcoming land-sea-land trip will be the first while travelling with a Seeing Eye dog. I have the Disney guides to disabilities and have been reading up on a passporters guide. We also know about, and have used, the special pass from guest services. Does anyone have any experiences with service dogs? I've researched the boards and did come across someone who has traveled with a dog before and gave me some helpful tips (like feeding him ice cubes).

The trip is in June. The dog travels on the DC metro with my DH, so I'm not concerned with crowds or transportation issues. I'm more concerned about the pup and the rest of the group keeping up with me, lol!

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Thanks for the link. I have come across that page in my research and it does have some helpful information.

Bumping this up just in case there is anyone new out there that has experience with guide dogs in the park. We're less than a month away now...I'm getting really excited...and we have still managed to keep the trip a secret from the kids.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I can tell you that on this last trip a couple weeks ago we saw someone in the park with a service dog. He had one of those packs on his back with the bags on either side. At one point we saw him drinking water. It appeared they had one of those fold-up portable bowls and a bottle of water. My question was where does the dog "do his business" (I didn't ask, but thought it).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

There are designated areas of each park, behind the scenes, where dogs are allowed to do its thing. I've also been advised to known in advance where they are since the CMs don't always know. We have travel bowls but plan on carrying our own backpack. I did find a neck collar the other day with the crystals in it that expands to keep him cool.

Have you ever used the child swap for the rides? If so, how does it work? I know that usually the rides exit a little before the entrance of the ride. We're going to need it for the dog but we've never had to do it with the kids before. We went to a small amusement park this past weekend and sometimes I stayed with the dog while DH and the kids rode a ride. The dog was still in harness and I think was confused as to why I had him with the harness on. We got smart after a while though and we'd all just walk up together and did our own version of the swap on consecutive rides on the platform.

Also did you ride the toy story attraction? What were the ride vehicles like? I hope he can get on that ride with us.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Haven't rode Toy Story yet (it wasn't in the soft opening phase the week we were there) but I have seen the vehicles. I can tell you the ride vehicles are pretty much like most dark rides. There are two sides to them and you have a small seat with two shooters (so basically enough room for 2 and a half people comfortably). I don't know that you can let the dog on the ride but that's where I'm just not familiar with policy around that.

As for the child swap, yes that I've done. Pretty much the way it works is the member of the party who is going to wait is given a special fast pass. The first person goes up the stand-by lane and rides the ride then when they get off the "waiter" turns in their pass and is allowed to go up the fast pass line. The exits are "close" the entrance queues but many run through a gift shop first.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe