Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Need some help! in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok, so this isn't actually about WDW, but you guys are always so helpful that I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask! We had the 2nd scan of our little ...
    tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Need some help!

Ok, so this isn't actually about WDW, but you guys are always so helpful that I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!

We had the 2nd scan of our little one this week, and the sonographer was as 'sure as she could be' that our baby is a boy. This was no surprise to me, as I felt sure that it was a boy from the minute I did the pregnancy test, but it is nice that the professionals agree! So now he is going to need a name. We won't decide for definate until he arrives, but I would like to make a short list. I like Hebrew names, and Andy likes traditional names, but we are both open to suggestions! So what do you lot think? We would like to have lots of names to consider, so let me know all the names you like!

Oh, and Mickey Mouse is NOT an option!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

WDWFan08 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Darn! I was totally thinking of Mickey. No, I'm just kidding. That's what my dog's name is, though. Well, Daniel is a Hebrew name, and it can be cut down to Dan (if you like having nicknames; then your son could be Dan the Man! I've seen baby clothes with that.). There's David. I'm trying to think of names that both of y'all would like, to accommodate for both of y'all. I like the name Ezekiel, too. I have a friend whose name is Ezekiel and his nickname is E-Zeke. Is Peter a Hebrew name? I really like that name (no, I wasn't thinking about Peter Pan). I also like Jared and Jacob (even though Jared can't be cut down to a nickname like the other names I've listed on here, but I always liked it. I think that's what I want to name my kids one day, when I get married, that is. That and Jeremy, not Jeremiah, but Jeremy [which it can be short for, too]). Matthew is a good name, and so is Mark. Tad's a good name. Ooh, I like Wesley. Byron's a good name, too. It's not commonly heard of, but I like it. All I want to say is, pick a name where your child won't hate you in the future. Trust me. The names parents these days name their kids is like punishing the kid. Keep it normal. Those are just a few names that I thought up. I'd also would take the time to look up the meaning of these names. Some of these were just from the top of my head, but others I found from this website: hebrew baby names. Good luck, and let us know what y'all decide to name your child! It'd be cool if it's a name I listed. Take care!
    Last edited by WDWFan08; 02-17-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    --
    Sarah

What will YOU celebrate?

Check out my recent photos in my photo album!

Shutterfly Website: http://amateurphotography.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for the ideas and the link. My step-son is called Daniel, so that one is out. Matthew has always been a favourite, and Jacob keeps cropping up. Being a teacher makes it doubly difficult as lots of names are out because I have known badly behaved children with that name. Kyle is an example - have taught 3 very naughty Kyle's! More common names like Tom are ok as I have known some really lovely Tom's as well as some shockers! My friend who is also pregnant keeps reading the baby name book to her bump and seeing which ones get a reaction!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We chose our first initials to pick names. My husband is a "C" and I am a "J". Our daughter's first name begins with a J and her middle name a C. My son is the the opposite.

My husband was a teacher too so I understand the name dilemna.
    Last edited by cjborne2; 02-18-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    That should be "chose".

That would be an 'N' or an 'A'. I quite like Nathan, or Adam.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    ohh, how exciting! Of the ones you mentioned, I like Adam and Jacob a lot. Good luck!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    When we were expecting, my husband and I bought a baby name book that had 10,000 names and their origins & meanings. We each took a turn going through it, writing down the names that we liked the best, without telling the other what we were picking. When we sat down to compare lists, there were only 4 names in common on them! So that really helped narrow down the choices and let us pick something we both really liked.

Another tip, from Erma Bombeck: when choosing a child's name, test it out by yelling it from the front porch at the top of your lungs. For example: "Rutherford Bartholomew Beetlebrox, get your butt back here this instant young man!" If you still like it after doing that a few times, it's a keeper.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

flutter is offline Moderator
    First I would like to say ....please think of a girls name as well just incase ultrasound results have ben wrong...but I am astrong believer in if he mother has a strong feeling she may be right, I just knew my daughter was a girl....ofcourse that could have been wishful thinking
    I like the name Jacoby popular around here after the world series

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Well, we speak frequently of the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob who had a noteable inheritance and a rich history and lineage. Are you looking for names with historical significance or names with meaning?
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    well, since I have an Adam myself ( a boyfriend and not a child!) I'm rather fond of that name. It's a good strong, name and have a wonderful meaning --God's creation.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Don't you just love being "with child"? Congratulations on that good luck with the names.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post

Another tip, from Erma Bombeck: when choosing a child's name, test it out by yelling it from the front porch at the top of your lungs. For example: "Rutherford Bartholomew Beetlebrox, get your butt back here this instant young man!" If you still like it after doing that a few times, it's a keeper.

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all the good ideas folks - keep 'em coming!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs

heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post

I love this idea! This gave me quite a chuckle, but I totally understand why it would be a good idea. If only I had tried this prechildren!!

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    People have been citing that Erma Bombeck tip for years!

Congratulations on the expansion of your family. I hope you have a happy and healhy baby.

Regarding names, you mentioned "Andy." Is that daddy's name? I am a little partial to that name, since it is my DS's name. We call him Andrew, though. It is a Hebrew name, and also very traditional. I feel obligated to lobby for my son's name, forgive me

Lots of Hebrew names are very traditional. Jacob, Joshua, Isaac, Joseph, etc. If we had a second son he was going to be Matthew. I always liked Benjamin too.

As a teacher, I completely understand that it is hard to choose a name when you have so many associations to go with each one. I had the same problem at first. If you find a name you like, go for it. Forget about "Kyle." Maybe your child will be so wonderful that his teacher will remember his name and put it on her list. My kids' names are pretty common, yet I have only taught 3 students with a match for one of my 4 kids, and no repeats!

As far as picking girls names, you may want to have some on reserve. My son, who is my second child, was promised by the ultrasound tech to be a girl. We called him Emily for a few months. She said she was "never wrong." At my second ultrasound, which was done at a different place, I asked to have the gender checked again. That is when I found out that Emily was to be Andrew!

Good luck, and again, congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast