Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Chester & Hester in Dinoland @ AK in the Ask The Experts forums; Does anyone know if there is a story behind these two? I've always thought Chester and Hester are the names of the dinos that hold the DinoRama sign. After looking ...
  1. #1
    Stitch's Avatar
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,325

    Chester & Hester in Dinoland @ AK

    Does anyone know if there is a story behind these two? I've always thought Chester and Hester are the names of the dinos that hold the DinoRama sign. After looking into things a bit I'm learning they are humans, well I think they are humans.

    So is there a back-story here? What about any trivia?

  2. #2
    mritty's Avatar
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Selkirk, NY
    Posts
    803
    Lou did a huge segment on Dinoland a while back on WDWRadio. See if you can find it in the archives, it's a really great listen.

    Chester and Hester are an elderly couple who owned the gas station that became the Dinoland gift shop. When the first fossil was found in the Boneyard, the Dino Institute opened up just down the road from their gas station, and the surrounding area instantly started drawing in tourists. Chester and Hester capitalized on the area's new found popularity by opening "Chester and Hester's Dinorama", a tacky run-of-the-mill tourist trap park with quickly built rides and carnival games. They created two characters to serve as mascotts of Dinorama, and named them after themselves. Their gas station also expanded into a large touristy gift shop specializing in Dino-everything.

    You can still see the original gas pumps and old-style cocacola vending machine out back behind the gift shop.

    Again, you should really listen to Lou's podcast episode on this. You'll have a new-found appreciation for this area. I *think* it was show #19... The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast- Show Notes for Show 19 - June 17, 2007

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    46,886
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    You can still see the original gas pumps and old-style cocacola vending machine out back behind the gift shop.
    Yep! I have pics of these somewhere...

  4. #4
    Stitch's Avatar
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,325
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    Lou did a huge segment on Dinoland a while back on WDWRadio. See if you can find it in the archives, it's a really great listen.

    Chester and Hester are an elderly couple who owned the gas station that became the Dinoland gift shop. When the first fossil was found in the Boneyard, the Dino Institute opened up just down the road from their gas station, and the surrounding area instantly started drawing in tourists. Chester and Hester capitalized on the area's new found popularity by opening "Chester and Hester's Dinorama", a tacky run-of-the-mill tourist trap park with quickly built rides and carnival games. They created two characters to serve as mascotts of Dinorama, and named them after themselves. Their gas station also expanded into a large touristy gift shop specializing in Dino-everything.

    You can still see the original gas pumps and old-style cocacola vending machine out back behind the gift shop.

    Again, you should really listen to Lou's podcast episode on this. You'll have a new-found appreciation for this area. I *think* it was show #19... The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast- Show Notes for Show 19 - June 17, 2007
    So that fits with what I found that Chester and Hester are brothers and had a dog that came back to them with a bone in its mouth. The bone was that of a dinosaur. They opened a gas station in what is now DinoLand USA. As time went on, they realized there was more money in selling souvenirs than gas, so they stopped the gas business, but continued with their tacky souvenir shop (it really is tacky). They are the only business that didn't sell out to the Dino Institute.

    I'll have to give that episode a listen tonight. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    Yep! I have pics of these somewhere...
    And you may want to find them...if you get why I'm asking.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    46,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

    And you may want to find them...if you get why I'm asking.
    UGH! I see a Dinoland LO in my future!!!!

  6. #6
    Stitch's Avatar
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,325
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    UGH! I see a Dinoland LO in my future!!!!
    No, a Chester and Hester Dino Rama one!

  7. #7
    dkrfla's Avatar
    dkrfla is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23
    This is a picture of me and Chester and Hester and Lucky from 2005:

  8. #8
    Stitch's Avatar
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,325
    So not brothers. LOL

    Thanks for Sharing!

  9. #9
    Smack81's Avatar
    Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    582
    I didn't know that there was a "story" behind this land. I still don't much care for it, but at least I sort of understand it now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •