Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Chester & Hester in Dinoland @ AK in the Ask The Experts forums; Does anyone know if there is a story behind these two? I've always thought Chester and Hester are the names of the dinos that hold the DinoRama sign. After looking ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Chester & Hester in Dinoland @ AK

Does anyone know if there is a story behind these two? I've always thought Chester and Hester are the names of the dinos that hold the DinoRama sign. After looking into things a bit I'm learning they are humans, well I think they are humans.

So is there a back-story here? What about any trivia?

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Lou did a huge segment on Dinoland a while back on WDWRadio. See if you can find it in the archives, it's a really great listen.

Chester and Hester are an elderly couple who owned the gas station that became the Dinoland gift shop. When the first fossil was found in the Boneyard, the Dino Institute opened up just down the road from their gas station, and the surrounding area instantly started drawing in tourists. Chester and Hester capitalized on the area's new found popularity by opening "Chester and Hester's Dinorama", a tacky run-of-the-mill tourist trap park with quickly built rides and carnival games. They created two characters to serve as mascotts of Dinorama, and named them after themselves. Their gas station also expanded into a large touristy gift shop specializing in Dino-everything.

You can still see the original gas pumps and old-style cocacola vending machine out back behind the gift shop.

Again, you should really listen to Lou's podcast episode on this. You'll have a new-found appreciation for this area. I *think* it was show #19... The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast- Show Notes for Show 19 - June 17, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    You can still see the original gas pumps and old-style cocacola vending machine out back behind the gift shop.
    Yep! I have pics of these somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    Lou did a huge segment on Dinoland a while back on WDWRadio. See if you can find it in the archives, it's a really great listen.

Chester and Hester are an elderly couple who owned the gas station that became the Dinoland gift shop. When the first fossil was found in the Boneyard, the Dino Institute opened up just down the road from their gas station, and the surrounding area instantly started drawing in tourists. Chester and Hester capitalized on the area's new found popularity by opening "Chester and Hester's Dinorama", a tacky run-of-the-mill tourist trap park with quickly built rides and carnival games. They created two characters to serve as mascotts of Dinorama, and named them after themselves. Their gas station also expanded into a large touristy gift shop specializing in Dino-everything.

Again, you should really listen to Lou's podcast episode on this. You'll have a new-found appreciation for this area. I *think* it was show #19... The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast- Show Notes for Show 19 - June 17, 2007
    So that fits with what I found that Chester and Hester are brothers and had a dog that came back to them with a bone in its mouth. The bone was that of a dinosaur. They opened a gas station in what is now DinoLand USA. As time went on, they realized there was more money in selling souvenirs than gas, so they stopped the gas business, but continued with their tacky souvenir shop (it really is tacky). They are the only business that didn't sell out to the Dino Institute.

I'll have to give that episode a listen tonight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    Yep! I have pics of these somewhere...
    And you may want to find them...if you get why I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

And you may want to find them...if you get why I'm asking.
    UGH! I see a Dinoland LO in my future!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    UGH! I see a Dinoland LO in my future!!!!
    No, a Chester and Hester Dino Rama one!

dkrfla is offline A-Ticket holder
    This is a picture of me and Chester and Hester and Lucky from 2005:

So not brothers. LOL

Thanks for Sharing!

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I didn't know that there was a "story" behind this land. I still don't much care for it, but at least I sort of understand it now.