Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Tour Guide Mike's in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever tried this service? I would like to use it if someone could tell me more about it. It looks pretty good, but this ...
    teag_98 is offline A-Ticket holder

Tour Guide Mike's

Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever tried this service? I would like to use it if someone could tell me more about it. It looks pretty good, but this is my first trip to DW and I don't want to do something that's a waste of money!!

I am a member of Tour guide Mike and like the fact that he'll release what parks are less crowded on what days. I don't use it like some others use it but he does have a nice forum over there too. The people are very helpful and friendly. Just like here.

It's not too expensive so why not try it out. I will say that an information you gather on the site can not be shared with other non paying members--it's exclusive.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have a friend who swears by it. I have signed up too and used his red, yellow, green days to plan which days I visit each park. I'll let you know in June how it works out.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've gone to the site a few times, but I've never purchased mostly because his website gives me a bad feel. It seems like a lot of marketing without any substance. After reading through the site over and over, I *still* don't know what kind of touring plans they offer. Is it "do this first then that second, then that third", like the Unofficial Guide? Or is it "at 9:05am, be in line for Space Mountain, which should take 12 minutes, then at 9:17am, go to Buzz Lightyear", like RideMax? And more importantly, how customizable is it? Can I get a touring plan that has 4 rides on Splash Mountain, and doesn't go to Pirates at all? Does it include the parades and fireworks? I just don't know, and nothing on his website gives any indication to these questions. Both Unofficial Guide and RideMax give sample plans that let me answer these questions, and for that reason alone, I stick with them.

teag_98 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks everyone. I did see the Touring Plan website, and I think I might sign up for that one. I kind of agree with you mritty, that the site is a little...off, I guess would be the right word. I appreciate the help!

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    Both Unofficial Guide and RideMax give sample plans that let me answer these questions, and for that reason alone, I stick with them.

what is RideMax?

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    RideMax - Spend Less Time in Line at Disneyland and Walt Disney World It's a program you purchase for about $20 and download to your computer. When you start it, you choose which park and which day you want to go, what time you want to arrive, and what time you want to get in line for your last attraction. Then you choose which attractions you want to visit that day - you can select any or all of them, including duplicating attractions as much as possible. Then you can choose to put in some breaks at whatever time you want for however long you like. Then push the "Generate" button and it creates a customized touring plan for you, showing exactly what attraction to hit at exactly what time. I've used it a few times and found it to be spot-on accurate for the plans I generated.

It's biggest downfall is that it doesn't have any of the shows, like Lights Motors Action, Beauty & The Beast, Indiana Jones, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, etc. I've emailed the guy several times and he's said basically "we're working on it", but as of about 2 weeks ago, the shows still aren't available, so you have to basically schedule a block of time for when you think you want to watch the shows, and fit them in yourself, or just go to them during a block of "free time" that it allocates.

The second biggest downfall is that it doesn't allow you to generate a plan for Sunday, because it's family business, and they don't believe in working (ie, collecting data) on Sundays. But I've found you can just generate the plan for the prior Saturday and it works out pretty well.

They offer a money-back guarantee, so there's no reason not to give it a try if you're curious....

tduncan1538 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Regarding Tour Guide Mike. People swear by it (including myself) but we're leary to share the information. Tour Guide Mike does not specialize in tour plans though that is a product of the site. He specializes in a philosophy of how to tour the parks to get the most enjoyment based on the age makeup and desires of the vacation.

I've used his advice for 8 trips, all during the busiest Christmas and Easter weeks with great success. The site has active updates for updated show times, great forums but it's the day chooser and order of rides that I find the most valuable.

The key thing to understand is that most of the people attending Disney during these times are first timers or shoddy planners. They all show up to the park around 10AM and stay all day in 1 - 2 hour lines.

Without giving away the intelectual farm known as Tour Guide Mike here are some key points to consider:

1. You MUST arrive at the park at suggested times

3. You must follow his in park ride plan which puts you in the areas of the park that are opposite where "They" go. Traffic studies have proven where "They" go first and the order of rides "They" take. We do the opposite and avoid the lines.

4. You MUST take the middle of the day off, return to the hotel, relax at the pool and then return for dinner or shortly after for a night that involves shows, parades, fireworks and general magic watching. Unless you have a fast pass you shouldn't depend on getting on the most popular rides. (This is during this busiest week. Normal weeks you can ride rides later in the night with minimal wait)

So if you attend the right parks, arrive early and ride in a specific order and take in the many other tips Tour Guide Mike offers you will have little to no wait times.

It's such a great way to do the parks during the busiest time of the year. What's crazy is the alternative (Being "Them") could make for a very unpleasant experience at Disney World.
    Last edited by tduncan1538; 04-17-2008 at 08:58 AM.

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Is it really helpful to take a break during the middle of the day? I am so leary to do so just because our time is so limited. Our group dynamics are different this trip so a break will probably be necessary and I doubt we'll be able to do 3 14 hour days in a row. I've subscribed to the service and think that we'll be able to hit what we want to do quickly and be "done" with his suggestions early in the day. The plan makes sense on paper.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    4. You MUST take the middle of the day off, return to the hotel, relax at the pool and then return for dinner or shortly after for a night that involves shows, parades, fireworks and general magic watching. Unless you have a fast pass you shouldn't depend on getting on the most popular rides. (This is during this busiest week. Normal weeks you can ride rides later in the night with minimal wait)
    My concern for this one (leaving the park) - what if it closes down and you can't get back in. I mean, then you have to go to another park. I'm not crazy enough to try to get back into a massively packed park. I think I will have to investigate this part further.

tduncan1538 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    My concern for this one (leaving the park) - what if it closes down and you can't get back in. I mean, then you have to go to another park. I'm not crazy enough to try to get back into a massively packed park. I think I will have to investigate this part further.

Oh, but that's the best part. If you follow the plans you will not be in a park that has the potential to close. It's also a fairly well known fact that when a park closes during the busiest holidays it first closes to non Disney resort guests (they close down parking) and then if the gates close then it's only for a few hours (from 2 - 5 or so).

I've done this every time during Christmas week. I've heard of other parks closing but it was never the park I was in that day (thanks to Tour Guide Mike).

Plus... do you really want to be at the park among those large crowds? If the park is closing due to capacity then it's not a place I want to be. That means there are 1 hour + lines and people everywhere you look. That's not my idea of a vacation.

Tony

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    That is true! Okay- thanks!