Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss I bet you haven't gotten this one before in the Ask The Experts forums; So, I was previously married to a great guy (didn't work, but he's lovely) that you could put in a salad spinner and he wouldn't get sick. We spent a ...
    amberpi is offline B-Ticket Holder

I bet you haven't gotten this one before

So, I was previously married to a great guy (didn't work, but he's lovely) that you could put in a salad spinner and he wouldn't get sick. We spent a great deal of time at WDW and the other resorts - EuroDisney is a fave when I have to be in Paris!

My current boyfriend however has high blood pressure (genetic unfortunately, because he's incredibly thin and in amazing physical shape) despite being in otherwise great health. He regulates this with medication. We went to WDW for the first time at the end of January and he rode everything with enjoyment. Apparently though, its been troubling him that all the signs warn that people with high blood pressure shouldn't ride. We've both been doing some online research and it seems like it should be fine if he has it regulated, but he's going to check with his Dr. on Tuesday. Does anyone have any good information on high blood pressure and roller coasters? He loves them and I don't want him to have to sit them out! He has it under control with medication however, so I don't think it should be an issue.

Thanks for any info/studies, etc. that you could provide.

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    My info is completely and utterly unofficial and more of a reference than an answer....

I have the opposite problem, REALLY low blood pressure. I was having problems with passing out or almost passing out on some of my favorite rides I'd been riding since I was tall enough. I went and talked to me doctor and she said to make sure I'd eaten and was hydrated enough to get my heart pumping (and that walking around in the parks didn't hurt either) and I should be fine to ride whatever I wanted as long as I wasn't already feeling faint or run down. I've been pretty good. We did do Everest 4 times in quick succession last time we went, and I won't be doing that again... But moral of the story is to check with a doctor, and have them do a physical if necessary. THey'll let him know what he can ride and what to do that might help before (&/or after) riding them.
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by satijp View Post
    But moral of the story is to check with a doctor, and have them do a physical if necessary. They'll let him know what he can ride and what to do that might help before (&/or after) riding them.
    I concur. Your physician is the best source of information in a case like this.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Your boyfriend is doing the best thing regarding his hypertension on Tuesday, talking to his doctor specifically about his medical history and his wanting to ride roller coasters.

As far as good (i.e. medical literature, studies, etc.) information regarding hypertension and roller coasters, I don't have that at my finger tips. However, you could do a search at your local library for that information or even ask his physician.

Bottom line, no ride is worth anyone's health. When in doubt, don't ride. It's what my DH and I do at times. Know your body and know your limits.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

amberpi is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Agreed to all, which is why we're proceeding as we are. I'll update next Tuesday.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Amber, I completely agree with what Amanda said. From personal experience, my fiance has hypertension and has never had a problem with any of the rides. ALWAYS consult a physician first and remember that there are plenty of attractions in Disney that don't pose any danger to a rider with high blood pressure so you won't be missing out completely!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Good luck. Keep us updated.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    [insert proper "he needs to talk to his own physician" medical-legal disclaimer here ... ]

If his hypertension is regulated by medication, then he is at no more risk than the general population. He is diagnosed with hypertension, but his vascular system and organs are not currently experiencing the effects of hypertension.
    -- Eric

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I am not a medical expert AT ALL, but my father has high blood pressure and has had a quintuple bypass, yet he rides everything. He controls with meds, and stay hydrated, but he has never had a problem with a WDW ride, except BTMRR and that was just because of the jerking. But again, talk to the doctor first.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.