Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Eating Healthy at WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; So, I know I always come home from WDW about 4 pounds lighter than when I left (I can't possibly eat - or shouldn't/wouldn't, the number of calories I burn ...
    amberpi is offline B-Ticket Holder

Eating Healthy at WDW

So, I know I always come home from WDW about 4 pounds lighter than when I left (I can't possibly eat - or shouldn't/wouldn't, the number of calories I burn doing all that walking, and ok, let's admit it, running when I get excited like a little kid!) and try to eat healthy while enjoying all the delicious restaurants at WDW. So I thought I would ask for everyone's favorite delicious and nutrious WDW dish.

Mine is the Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter - Maki and Nigiri at California Grill.

I love sushi and since its light and packed with nutrients, I know that leaves room for port and dessert, right?

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    You can eat alot healthier these days at WDW then from years past. There are many dishes I enjoy at the parks that are healthy. Just to name a few, I love the lettuce cups at Yak and Yetti, the chicken strawberry salad at the Plaza restaurant, Chicken Wrap at Pecos Bills (comes with apple slices) and the Salmon at LeCellier. The resort restaurant have endless healthy choices but since you mentioned Cali Grill I have to put a plug in for the Butternut Squash ravoli, not always on the menu but it is really good (had the butternut squash gnocci last year and didn't like it) and your right about the sushi at Cali Grill, it's really good. ok now I'm hungry!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    You can eat alot healthier these days at WDW then from years past. There are many dishes I enjoy at the parks that are healthy. Just to name a few, I love the lettuce cups at Yak and Yetti, the chicken strawberry salad at the Plaza restaurant, Chicken Wrap at Pecos Bills (comes with apple slices) and the Salmon at LeCellier. The resort restaurant have endless healthy choices but since you mentioned Cali Grill I have to put a plug in for the Butternut Squash ravoli, not always on the menu but it is really good (had the butternut squash gnocci last year and didn't like it) and your right about the sushi at Cali Grill, it's really good. ok now I'm hungry!
    I love the lettuce cups at Y&Y too. I will probably have that on our next trip in a couple of weeks as per usual, but I will definitely try out that salad at the Plaza. We already have reservations there. I wish we could get into LeCellier. Its always booked up though and my life (both my bf and I travel for a living) precludes me from making plans very far in advance, so I figure I'll always be out of luck on that.

Thanks for the recommendations - yummy!

I was also thinking of the Flying Fish for a restaurant with healthy choices, although I have never eaten there it's on my list of places to try, but if your going there in a couple of weeks you may want to look at the menu......Flying Fish Cafe Menu - Boardwalk have a great time

I have tried the Flying Fish twice within the last year because of that thought process and it was just a little disappointing. They have a lovely wine menu - Condudrum is one of my favorites and they always have it - but the food isn't nearly as good as Il Muriano in the Swan (close by) or California Grill in terms of quality and similar price point.

However, ****, what do I know, maybe both times me and my party ordered the wrong things, so let me know your thoughts and what you got. Neither time did I or either gentlemen I was with have a bad meal nor bad service, but the WDW bar is so high why settle for "ok" when you've got the Chef De France, right? What are your other favorites?

Oh, another good thing about the Flying Fish is that they are rarely totally booked (due to my job, I don't often have the luxury of planning vacations very far in advance) about 2 weeks out. If you have to fly by the seat of your pants at least you will get to enjoy some great wine!

I was also thinking of the Flying Fish for a restaurant with healthy choices, although I have never eaten there it's on my list of places to try, but if your going there in a couple of weeks you may want to look at the menu......Flying Fish Cafe Menu - Boardwalk have a great time
    And thanks for the well wishes! I sure do hope we have a great time - its my 30th birthday and goes along to achieving one of my NY resolutions - get to WDW at least once a quarter. So far, so good - I'll have hit it twice by the first of May!

Quote Originally Posted by amberpi View Post
    I have tried the Flying Fish twice within the last year because of that thought process and it was just a little disappointing. They have a lovely wine menu - Condudrum is one of my favorites and they always have it - but the food isn't nearly as good as Il Muriano in the Swan (close by) or California Grill in terms of quality and similar price point.

However, ****, what do I know, maybe both times me and my party ordered the wrong things, so let me know your thoughts and what you got. Neither time did I or either gentlemen I was with have a bad meal nor bad service, but the WDW bar is so high why settle for "ok" when you've got the Chef De France, right? What are your other favorites?
    Sorry to hear Flying Fish didn't live up to your expectations, I know I felt the same way about Artist Point, I was a little disappointed. But in saying that I would like to try it again because it gets rave reviews on this board. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, there were some things I really enjoyed but my entree was alittle bland and it turned out to be farm raised salmon instead of the "wild" as they had stated on the menu..
    Funny you mentioned Conundrum, I know people who ate at the Cali Grill and all they talked about was the wine they got and it was Conundrum. I've never tried it but I'm more of a red wine drinker. But it has me curious.
    As far as other favorites go, well I loved Alfredo's but now that is gone. Anxious to try the new Japanese rest. in Epcot. This past January we went to Citricos at the Grand Floridian, we really enjoyed it, I have pics that I have not downloaded yet but when I do I will post them on the food thread.....http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...cture-day.html check it out when you have time. Also if you have places you want to try I have a thread I started a year or 2 ago that you can add the restaurants you want to try,,,,,,http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-want-try.html

And thanks for the well wishes! I sure do hope we have a great time - its my 30th birthday and goes along to achieving one of my NY resolutions - get to WDW at least once a quarter. So far, so good - I'll have hit it twice by the first of May!
    I like your New Year's resorlution, now why can't I make resorlutions like that, mine are way to boring and I never keep them anyway and by the way...

Anxious to try the new Japanese rest. in Epcot. This past January we went to Citricos at the Grand Floridian, we really enjoyed it,
    I am going to the new Japanese place and will let you know how it is.

It was way too funny about the Conudrum! I'm typically a red wine fanatic too but that was great. Have you tried in Italy in Epcot the red sparkling wine? Its really quite neat.

I loved Citricos. I've never been to Narcoose's and keep meaning to but there isn't enough time to get everything in, try as I might. Have you been? How is it?

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I have trouble eating healthy at WDW. 'Course, it doesn't help that I'm the world's pickiest vegetarian. I'll be curious to see what other people add to this thread. I was glad to hear you guys mention The Plaza Restaurant - it's one of my favorites, but I don't think a lot of people know that it's there. (I guess that's good, in a way. Keeps the line small.)

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I have really been trying to eat healthier lately as I have been uber focused on getting into my skinny pants again and with an enormous amount of will power I have been able to carry that over during my WDW trips. It helps if I plan where and what I am going to eat prior to going so that I am not tempted by the siren song of a hotdog or mickey bar when I am hungry and tired. The following is a sample menu

Breakfast: Fruitcup (I think these are available somewhere in every park) and a protein bar (from home - Luna bars are great and they keep you full)

Lunch - A chicken salad from any counter service joint - with oil and vinegar (or just vinegar) dressing

Snack - An apple, trailmix, protein bar or like

Dinner - A chicken breast and veggies (available in some form at most sit downs)

Throughout the day I drink ALOT of water - it keeps you full and frisky

While one does tend to walk quite a bit at WDW the majority of tourist walk at a slow - moderate pace and tend to do alot of standing around - doing this will burn some calories but not as many as you could if you turn it up a notch- Last time I went to WDW with my BFF we wore pedometers to see how much we walked - it came to 20 miles (we were both sore the next day - and she runs marathons) but we did WDW a little differently than most. If you want to follow the Meg/Jenna WDW Workout here's how to do it:

No trams allowed - park as far away from the park as you can and walk at a brisk clip
    No lollygagging - Walk quickly with big strides
    Take stairs two at a time
    Take the long way - we would ride POTC, then trek over to Space M, then back to Thunder etc etc
    Skip - feel the burn baby
    It should also be noted that we visited all 4 parks in 1 day- and didn't miss anything we wanted to see - we were like little blond whirlwinds sweeping through WDW

Now - there is NOTHING wrong with letting it all hang out at WDW - You are on vacation (and calories consumed while on vacation don't really count). I have recently lost 40lbs of baby chubby (and worked my patootie off to do it) so I really really really didn't want to backslide at all because I chose to visit my favorite place - By following the above I not only enjoyed the heck out of my trip I also was able to leave without that greasy bloated post theme park ick - I actually felt fitter leaving than when I arrived.

Sorry this is a little long - I hope it helps someone though!

Repeat after me: I do not need a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar to enjoy my vacation...I do not need a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar to enjoy my vacation...
    Last edited by disneydarling; 04-07-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post

No trams allowed - park as far away from the park as you can and walk at a brisk clip
    No lollygagging - Walk quickly with big strides
    Take stairs two at a time
    Take the long way - we would ride POTC, then trek over to Space M, then back to Thunder etc etc
    Skip - feel the burn baby
    It should also be noted that we visited all 4 parks in 1 day- and didn't miss anything we wanted to see - we were like little blond whirlwinds sweeping through WDW
    This sounds like the natural me so I think I'm good. I've always maintained my weight by takes the stairs at work and walking all the time. The walk between DS and Epcot for instance is very nice! I don't know why you would spend 20 minutes waiting for the boat and another 20 on the boat, when you can walk it in less than 20 minutes. I totally agree about running from one attraction to the next. Its like "oh, we can get another fast pass, let's go across the park, get one, and then back to ride the ride the fast pass is about to come up for - yeah." Love it!

willful is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Throughout the day I drink ALOT of water - it keeps you full and frisky
    Exactly!! While home, I aim for 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of water a day. Unfortunately, I can't do that while at WDW, but I do keep pushing water especially during the hot summer months. My wife and I each have camel paks which are SO GREAT for the summer! But lots of ice in it and it'll keep your back cool...as well as melt and become more water. I know if I don't get enough water, I get sluggish...

Now - there is NOTHING wrong with letting it all hang out at WDW - You are on vacation (and calories consumed while on vacation don't really count).
    Exactly!! This is why I train so heavily in the gym through out the year (well, I do because it's fun and I want to stay healthy!)...I like to go to WDW and enjoy my vacation and not worry (too much) about dining options. That's not to say we have dessert every night and we're eating totally out of control. But we do loosen up the dietary restrictions a bit.

Repeat after me: I do not need a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar to enjoy my vacation...I do not need a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar to enjoy my vacation...
    I do need that Mickey Rice Krispy treat to comfort me on the flight home...

oh...sorry...

(you're right though )
    - Will
    The Magic Never Ends Podcast

EMBRACE THE MAGIC!

NEXT TRIP: DPN Westfest 2009 April 30 - May 4 at Disneyland!

See What We're Doing at www.twitter.com/magicneverends
    Watch our shenanigans at www.youtube.com/WillMNE

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Quote Originally Posted by willful View Post

oh...sorry...

(you're right though )

Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

willful is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I totally agree about running from one attraction to the next. Its like "oh, we can get another fast pass, let's go across the park, get one, and then back to ride the ride the fast pass is about to come up for - yeah." Love it!
    Yup, we do that too! It's like a game...rush across the park to get another FP. It might not make sense to some, but I feel as if I'm totally maximizing my time. Ride one ride with a FP while waiting for the next FP to activate.

disneydarling - I'm a slave to Mickey Rice Krispy treats...not sure why! LOL I know it's just Mickey shaped rice krispy treat...What can I say? I'm a slave to Disney stuff.
    - Will
    The Magic Never Ends Podcast

EMBRACE THE MAGIC!

NEXT TRIP: DPN Westfest 2009 April 30 - May 4 at Disneyland!

See What We're Doing at www.twitter.com/magicneverends
    Watch our shenanigans at www.youtube.com/WillMNE