Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Which Water Park ? in the Ask The Experts forums; Next month my family and I will be taking our annual WDW trip. As a birthday present, I got my wife a 110 minute massage at the spa in Wilderness ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Which Water Park ?

Next month my family and I will be taking our annual WDW trip. As a birthday present, I got my wife a 110 minute massage at the spa in Wilderness Lodge where we are staying. While she is having her "Disneysage", I am going to take my son who is now six to either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon for the afternoon. He loves the water and is able to swim somewhat, but not at the level that I would feel comfortable letting him get out of arm's reach. Having never been to either of the waterparks, my question is which of them would any of you reccomend and what attractions do you and your children near this age enjoy? Also, should I plan on renting a locker or should we wear our swimsuits in? Any help or advice you provide will be greatly appreciated.

GussGuss36 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have only been to Typhoon Lagoon (this past Feb) & I loved it. just about everything there you can do with your son. I know they have a "kiddie" area where younger guests can play in shallow water with no risk. The wave pool is fun, but I wouldnt go in too far with him as the waves completely wash everyone away & come up over your head. A wave comes every 90 seconds. If you stay on the outskirts, the wave pool will be fun for him. There is a bunch of not so scary water slides & other slides you can ride down together in a big tube. There is a couple of slides that go down pretty steep & fast which was a bit much for me & I just turned 23. All in all, you can easily spend 4-5 hours at the water park & have plenty for you & your 6 year old to do. I wore my bathing suit & sandels to the water park. I brought a towel & like $20 (didn't wanna bring my whole wallet) You can rent a locker for like $8 or less I think it was, but you get a few dollars back when you return the key they give you. the key is on a stretchy braclet type thing so you won't lose it in the park. Definitely get a locker its worth it. I know there is a few food spots at Typhoon Lagoon too, so you can always grab some lunch if you want. I hope to check out Blizzard Beach on my trip next year, it was getting refurbished when I went this year. Hope that helps a little

luvpluto72 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have been to both water parks and personally I like Blizzard Beach better. It is newer than Typhoon Lagoon and has a few different areas for children based on their ages. I found the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon to be too rough.

Annette is offline A-Ticket holder
    My vote is for Blizzard Beach. My kids have been to both and they always ask to go back to Blizzard Beach.
    Annette
    annette@mousefantravel.com

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    The wave @ Typhoon Lagoon is ROUGH. You will have to watch him and yourself every 90 secs I think. The rest of the slides and the water rollercoaster are awesome though. You will get knocked off the Crush n Gusher. The shark reef snorkeling is cool. I've never been to Blizzard Beach but looking forward to doing both in May

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I have been to both and enjoyed both. You can check out allears.net for more info on both of them. We always wear our suits to the park and get a locker when we get there just so we have somewhere to stash our money and extras.

I personally like Typhoon Lagoon better. The snorkeling they offer there is just amazing (it's included in park admission), you get to sea all of the sea life so close! They also have some fun slides and the wave pool is great, your six year old may like it if you stay really shallow. The Crush N Gusher water slide they have there is the best one I've ever been on!! So much fun! The kiddie area is nice too.

I like the theming of Blizzard Beach more than Typhoon Lagoon. They have a lot of slides and the area for kids is a lot of fun. I believe they have a lazy river too.

Have fun!!
    Last edited by Thumper10; 04-07-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've been to both several times. While I personally enjoy TL more, that's 99% because of the wave pool. I LOVE the wave pool. HOWEVER, I would not even remotely feel comfortable taking a six year old child into that wave pool. They are HUGE powerful waves, not gentle bobbing waves. There is not another calmer pool there, other than in the kiddie section, which would get old pretty quick, I imagine. For that reason alone, I recommend you take your son to Blizzard Beach. There the pool does indeed have gentle bobbing waves. Both parks feature a "lazy river" that encircles the entire park, as well as a variety of slides, both of the tube and body varieties. The only other thing you'll miss by not going to TL is Shark Reef, which allows you a quick swim through a salt-water area that has live fish and tiny sharks milling about the bottom.

Sandymouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    My personal favorite is Typhoon Lagoon just like mritty but w/ a 6 year old I would definitely choose Blizzard Beach. My DD loves that park the best and there are more options for the younger set there. Have a great time whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Sandymouse; 04-04-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Sandy Myers

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Thanks everyone! Based on your posts, I found some video clips of the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon and WOW, you are all correct about the magnitude of the waves. Of course after watching the videos, my son immediately started the "let's do that!, lets's do that!" routine. From the rest of your information, I am probably going to try Blizzard Beach this year and Typhoon Lagoon next year depending on his swimming abillities. The neatest thing is after making several WDW trips over the years, there are still new activities to discover and look forward to. Thanks for your help!

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    The neatest thing is after making several WDW trips over the years, there are still new activities to discover and look forward to.

I totally agree.

I've never been to Blizzard Beach, and I've only been to Typhoon Lagoon once, but I'll never forget the wave pool - YEE-HAW! I completely agree with what a lot of other folks have said, though - it's rough, and not a good idea for people of any age if they're not really comfortable in the water.