Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss One Stay - Two Hotels ... in the Ask The Experts forums; Hey all WDW 2008 : Very happy I just received our e-ticket for the (long) flight from Copenhagen to MCO in my inbox. That beeing settled, I now look into ...
    LordMoeschi is offline A-Ticket holder

One Stay - Two Hotels ...

Hey all

WDW 2008 : Very happyI just received our e-ticket for the (long) flight from Copenhagen to MCO in my inbox.

That beeing settled, I now look into planning accommodation for 19 (!) nights at the Magic from August 7th through 27th

This year we plan on booking two seperate hotels - one of them, most likely, beeing Buena Vista Palace. Judging on the VAST range of hotels in the Orlando area ( 503 according to hotels.com ) I am split and kinda confused what might become the best of the best combination.

I wonder if you guys have good advice to support my decission.

I was thinking of a 10/9 nights split. We're two adults and one infant (1˝ years) and the night should be not more than 220$(Else my wife will veto the rental car) - preferably one off site and one on-site hotel beeing great.

What are your thoughts ?

Best Regards

Michael

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Congratulations on having a trip on your schedule for the summer.

If I were splitting my vacation between an on property and an off property hotel, I'd try to make the first hotel the off property hotel. Most hotels in the area will adequate for your needs, but you don't want to experience the Disney Magic of being on property and then going elsewhere.

There are a number of hotels right near Downtown Disney. You can find them on Hotel Plaza Blvd. I believe other people on this site have stayed at the Buena Vista Palms so they can give you a better indication of what that hotel is like. I like this area because you are very close to being on property, but it's also very close to shopping, restaurants, and access to highways to get to other attractions in the Orlando area.

As far as choosing a hotel on property, just look at your budget, weigh what your priorities are, and decide how close or far away you want to be to your priorities. Each hotel has great dining and great theming. Availability may come into play since you are visiting in the high vacation time for most Americans.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    19 nights!! That's terrificI agree with Mini-V that if you are splitting the stay between on and off property then I would choose the off property hotel first then end your stay at the on property. I have never stayed at the Buena Vista Palace but I know someone who has and they enjoyed it very much, it is in walking distance of Downtown Disney so that is convenient. Of couse if you want to get opinions on both sides of the hotel then you can visit trip advisor.....Buena Vista Palace (Orlando, FL) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor for reviews. Since I am sure you are not planning on going to the parks for 19 days it's very important for you to have a car rental. You may want to visit Sea World/Universal or just get out of the immediate area for better priced restaurants and shops. Also Cocoa Beach is about a 45 minute drive (going east) if you are planning a beach day.
    Are you or your wife a teacher or nurse by any chance, you can get discount rates at the Swan or Dolphin for under $200 dollars for the time of year you are going. (don't forget whatever price you are quoted you have to add that high Florida tax onto the room)....Swan and Dolphin Discount Rate Information The Swan and Dolphin are both in beautiful locations right on Disney property although technically they are not Disney resorts but they still have the Disney bus transportation and some of the privileges of Disney guests (like free parking at the parks if you choose to take your car). If you are not eligible for the discounts then I am not sure of their regular rates but you can check on allears.net.....Accommodations In and Around Walt Disney World and Orlando Florida Theses resorts are a boat ride away from Epcot and MGM. Also any of the moderate resorts should be in your price range for that time of year, that wouold include the Carribean Resort, Coronardo Springs, Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter, you can check out that allears.net link to get more infor on all those resorts. They are all very nice and each have their own special charm.
    My only advice to you is to quickly book whatever you decide because all the good places will be gone since it is a very popular time of year to go.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    19 nights at WDW with an infant??

If you survive, you should write a book telling us all how you did it

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

Well sure, I will. Or maybe just a mail to Lou to possibly be aired on the show as that has been a while...

Believe me or not - I've spent almost 2 weeks n ow without deciding on where to stay. My wife doesn't want to move too many times to different accomodations; so I think it boils down to 2-3 places during this year "WDW marathon". Right now i'm thinking on a combination of Port Orleans French Quarter-Swan(they have a 7 for 6 special atm.)-and AKL Villas to conclude the stay. I was wondering if I can just make three seperate reservations online or if there's a smarter way...obviousely it's mostly kinda hard to phone WDW travel living several timeszones away always reaching the phone off business hours.

If you can navigate the Disney website, good luck, I always have problems with it and prefer to use the phone but I understand your dilema, but I believe you are 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (we are on daylight saving time this time of year) so that would give you most ot the afternoon/early evening to call. Disney closes their phones at 10pm EST.
    You also may want to make any dining reservations that you want because they also tend to book up fast. The resorts you picked should all be very nice. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with

Hi, it's me again, i was just reading some other threads and one was about Mousefan Travel and since there is no fee on your part with travel agencies I thought that may be a really good way for you to go. They can do all the work for you and may ever find some extra perks you may not have known to look for. They are a reputable company that Lou endorses and they have an ad somewhere on this site. No I don't work for them, didn't even know about them till I started listening to podcasts but many of the people of the forum have used them and seem to be happy. Just a thought.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by LordMoeschi View Post
    My wife doesn't want to move too many times to different accomodations; so I think it boils down to 2-3 places during this year "WDW marathon".
    I know that when we have stayed 'on-site' at Disney resorts we have been able to take our luggage to the bellman and they 'transport' it between resorts for us for free. Then all we had to do is go to the new resort and check-in. Once our luggage arrived we just called the new resorts bellman for it and tipped them for bringing up our bags when we got to our room later in the day. This was also great as we didn't have to lug it between resorts and we could go play around the world.

Just a thought to make transferring resorts a little easier for you with an infant.

I am just not sure they would do this from the Swan or Dolphin to another resort but it is worth checking into.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Yeah - your all absolutely right. I'm currently waiting for FedEx and our annual passes (vouchers) - hopefully, there are some good deals on accomodation as a passholder that apply for august and can be booked even though we will not redeem our vouchers until august.... we'll see tomorrow.

//Michael

Not sure if free dining will be available then, you may want to check into that.

Disney FedEx'ed as expected the vouchers today - yipii. I also was confirmed in my expectations that one cannot use passholder advantages before we redeem our annual passes. Well, looks like going back and planning accomodations withour passholder rates. I don't think it would be wise not to book hotels in advance - not even for the second half of the trip. I am right now thinking of Buena Vista Palace and Wilderness Lodge for the 20 day vacation - what do you think ?

//Michael

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I can't say anything on the Buena Vista Palace as I have never stayed there but the Wilderness Lodge is a good choice.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

I love the Wilderness Lodge. Like I said in a previous post I have never been to the Burena Vista Palace but someone I know has and they said it was nice. I also just recently heard on a podcast (not Lou's) that the Hilton Hilton, located in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort - Local Guide(the one right near Downtown Disney) was very nice and they got it for a really good rate on Priceline.com,Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com like $62.00 a night! The podcast said it's the only hotel in that group by Downtown Disney that offers Extra Magic Hours. Be forewarned that the bus service from any of these downtown Disney resorts are not Disney transportation and may or may not be that great. Without a doubt you have to make reservations, I believe you can apply you AP rate after you recieve the passes. Just curious, what happened to the Swam/AKL Villas/Port Orleans idea??