Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss First thing to do at Disney in the Ask The Experts forums; This past march was our first time going to Disney..so much to do. Being Easter and a first time guest, we scurried around to try and get as many rides ...
    ready4 fun is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question First thing to do at Disney

This past march was our first time going to Disney..so much to do.
    Being Easter and a first time guest, we scurried around to try and get as many rides in that we could being that it was busy.

Now, I cant wait to go back..I'm hooked Just wish the rest of the family was.

For those of you that have gone many times, what are the things you like to do most now that you know your way around the parks, attractions, restarants, etc.

Just looking for ideas on next trip...thanks!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I still like going on the Big attractions as soon as possible - I get to each park at opening, and scurry to Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Soarin', or Expedition Everest as soon as the turnstyles open. :-)

This past March, I hung out at Pleasure Island more than I otherwise would have, sampling all six clubs over two nights.

I also love trying restaurants I've never been to before. This August, we'll be trying for the first time: 50's Prime Time Café, Teppan Edo, Planet Hollywood, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Cape May Café, and Shutters.

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    I also love trying restaurants I've never been to before. This August, we'll be trying for the first time: 50's Prime Time Café, Teppan Edo, Planet Hollywood, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Cape May Café, and Shutters.
    50's Prime Time was a blast! We had so much fun and the waiters/waitresses really know how to have fun with the guests pretending to be parents and stuff. It was a great experience!

Planet Hollywood was good too. They have a much larger choice for food and the atmosphere in there at night was excellent! Your opinion may differ depending on the setting you like to be in for a meal, but I enjoyed it.
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

Quote Originally Posted by ready4 fun View Post
    This past march was our first time going to Disney..so much to do.
    Being Easter and a first time guest, we scurried around to try and get as many rides in that we could being that it was busy.

Now, I cant wait to go back..I'm hooked Just wish the rest of the family was.

For those of you that have gone many times, what are the things you like to do most now that you know your way around the parks, attractions, restarants, etc.

Just looking for ideas on next trip...thanks!
    In addition to what mritty said, which I definitely agree with, it also helps to know which rides you're gonna bypass. What I like to do is cross off everything we're not gonna do on the park map and then see what we're left with so that way we know what rides to try and group together. This also helps when you want to get a fastpass to a certain ride and are trying to figure out what to do in the meantime.

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Bypass a ride???? Blasphemy!
    They call me "Nana"

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    We always book a flight that will allow us to arrive around 9am, check in to the resort then eat breakfast. Its always neat to tuck your son into bed the night before you leave and tell him we will be having breakfast at WDW in the morning.

It goes against every trip planning guide I have ever read, but the first (and last) attraction we do on every WDW vacation is always "It's a Small World". I know its not the most efficient use of time, but hey, it a tradition.

Excluding travel, we try to allow at least 7-8 park days for our trips so we are not so hurried. The best first day advice I can think of for a trip of any length is to relax . On your first day, you don't want to be in "attack mode" right off the bat, especially with chilren in tow.

So probably an unpopular answer to your question is.........."do what ever you like best, most and first". Whether it's a Dole Whip by the pool, a swim, or Dumbo, remember it's your vacation, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Bypass a ride???? Blasphemy!
    Hey now! I'm not gonna sit through Snow White's Scary Adventure everytime I go to Disney! lol! There's just some rides I don't need to see all the time! At least I don't whimp out on the thrill rides! Those are my favorite!

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    It wouldn't hurt to pick up the 'Unofficial Guide' to Disney... they have some great touring plans there to get the most out of your day.

A lot of it depends upon what time of the year you go... when we go in September/October, we may go the whole 10 days without needing to use Fastpass, since the crowds are so manageable. This opens us up to tour the park a lot more openly (I like as little structure as possible during vacations), and we find we don't need to rush to things to beat the crowds.

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder
    What I suggest is that you find yourself a good website and look up rides and other attractions that spark your interest. After you find these look them up on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. As for restaurants go for what looks/sounds pleasing at the time. Last time I was in WDW I had a constant craving for nothing but chicken sandwiches and bacon cheeseburgers.

emabee is offline Not too much longer til I'm in the World again!!!
    We usually make sure that we hit all our favorites before anything else including any new shows and/or rides that have popped up since our last trip. This past May, the Pirate Tutorial had just started in the Magic Kingdom and I wanted to make sure that I did NOT miss that. We did manage to catch it but only because we stumbled upon it.

Next year (finally committed to going, now need to get started on planning), we're shaking things up a bit. We're going to start off doing all the things we've NEVER done before. There's not much, but there's some things. We've never done the movie in France or Astro Orbiter or the Candy Lady in Japan or Star Tours. There's others, but we're going to look at our maps and figure out which ones we haven't done yet and those will be our priority in each park (except for Epcot......it's a priority to do Soarin' first thing).

I agree with Serkazong. On the first day, relax.....don't go hog wild on the first day. Pace yourself and enjoy every minute.
    http://pinefrog.com/DWT/vana.htm

Disney things I love:

The Capt'n:
    Pirates:
    Magic Kingdom:
    All things Alice: