Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss January/February ? in the Ask The Experts forums; Can anyone tell me which month is best to go to Disney, January or February? Whats the weather and crowds like? Any perks to going at this time?...
    ready4 fun is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question January/February ?

Can anyone tell me which month is best to go to Disney, January or February? Whats the weather and crowds like? Any perks to going at this time?

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I've been to disney in both January and February and I didn't notice much difference in the crowds. In both months, the crowds were very light. When I went, it was much colder in February. Also, if you go right at the beginning of January (we went on New Years) you can still see the Osborne dancing lights at the Hollywood Studios.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Crowd levels at Disney spike in Mid-February and prices go up. "Value Season" is January 1st - around February 13th and then "Peak Season" is labeled as February 13th - March 30th (when "regular season" begins). So... if you're going to go in January or February and want to avoid crowds and cost, do it before Valentine's Day.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Looks like alot of your vacations were in the Jan/Feb/Dec timeframe. would you mind me asking what the temperatures were like? Definitely couldnt swim right?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Well, ok here's the thing... the resort pools are heated so swimming is fine during those months... it's the getting out of the pool afterwards that's not so fun. As a former FL resident who visited the parks every month I can tell you that you'll want to pack a mix of clothing for a trip that time of year. In the mornings and evenings it can be down right cold. During the day it really depends. That time of year the temps can flucuate big time based on if it's cloudy or clear skies. If the sun is out it can get very nice during the day; comfortable but still on the chilly side (60s). We typically would wear light jeans and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it to take off as things warmed up. Me personally, I'd rather have to wear layers and be comfy than to be wearing practically nothing and still sweating... so winter was a great time for us to go (we're doing it again this February).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

looks like your going soon...have a great time ( I'm jealous! )

thanks for your advice

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I went in January this year during the weekdays, it was after the Disney Marathon (sorry the official name escapes me right now) but before Martin Luther King weekend, so it was inbetween that week of the 14th and 18th and the crowds were fine. Got a few fast passes for the really popular rides and pretty much breezed onto everything else. I would try to avoid any holiday weekends and if your staying on property still book as early as possible, alot of the rooms are still sold out.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I pretty much agree with Jen. If the days are sunny, it's very comfortable, but once the sun goes down, it gets chilly. Dress in layers. I haven't been in January, but we did go just before President's Day weekend one year. The crowds were good though we noticed a bit of an increase when the schools broke for the holiday.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    We went Jan 3 thru 9th and walked on (or just about)every ride except test track and Soarin' but those two rides had a maybe 10 min wait. No crowd at all.

tmntrans

what was the temperatures like in Jan while you were there? No lines sounds GREAT!

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    February is busy with school vacations, and January isn't too bad... The 2nd week of January would be best... the first week is the Disney marathon, and there's an extra 50-75000 people milling around the parks... not a ton, but enough that you notice some crowds at peak times.

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!