Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Toddler/Preschooler Advice in the Ask The Experts forums; This will be Aaron's 4th trip to the world. For his previous three trips he was 10 months, 12 months and 15 months old. This time he will be a ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Toddler/Preschooler Advice

This will be Aaron's 4th trip to the world. For his previous three trips he was 10 months, 12 months and 15 months old. This time he will be a woppin' 25 months old for the trip and as such I think we're going to try out some new attractions with him.

He's 37.5" tall so that opened up a couple new ones like Goofy's Barnstormer but there are some we've skipped in the past not due to size but due to age and patience (both his and ours LOL).

So... I'm looking for advice from other folks who have done the world with a 2-year old and have done the below attractions with them. How did it go? What would you recommend to make sure Aaron enjoys them?

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise
    2. Tom Sawyer Island
    3. Mad Tea Party
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?)
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?)
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose)
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?)
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area)
    2. Maelstrom
    The Studios
    1. MuppetVision 3D (see PhillharMagic)
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?)
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk)
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic)
    2. Nemo The Musical
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Most of these were around when my kids were little or at least DD.
    Here is how my kids faired.

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise my kids love this ride
    2. Tom Sawyer Island they had fun just wandering here, just be prepared to hold their hands constantly (leave bent over)
    3. Mad Tea Party I worked the wheel so it didn't spin as much
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?) not there then but at muppets they put them on and off. They had fun with the glasses.
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) yes, this ride does knock you around the vehicle a bit
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) made me sick, couldn't do it after kids.
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) loved it but could barely see over, but they didn't know better.
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) new but I bet he'd love
    2. Maelstrom mine liked but they are not afraid of the dark or monsters
    The Studios
    1. MuppetVision 3D (see PhillharMagic) loved
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) might be over his head, long wait, show, very hot but if he loves car????
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) wasn't there for mine
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) mine were older some kids freak others seem to be ok. I'd move all the way over to the exit side in case you need to bolt. An easy place to bolt from.
    2. Nemo The Musical new

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I took Riley almost every month from the time he was 18 - 30 months old....every baby is different but the following should help

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise Ri loved this one
    2. Tom Sawyer Island Ditto - just watch them closely as there are lots of little nooks and cranys that they can disapeer into in a matter of seconds
    3. Mad Tea Party Ri's favorite ride in the park
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?) Another big hit
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) Ri rode this for the first time at 2.5 and was really really scared - i think it might be a bit much until they are 3 or so - plus i felt like I really had to hold on to him to keep him in the car - its a short, but nonetheless intense, ride
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) A little different in that it is much faster and much higher -Ri has not tried it but I have my reservations
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) A close second to the teacups
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) You can go down and sit up front with him in your lap - Just sit in the back of the front so you don't block any one elses view
    2. Maelstrom Have not done yet with Ri
    The Studios
    1. MuppetVision 3D (see PhillharMagic) A sure winner
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) Haven't done period....a must on our list for next time
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) same as T.T - keep him in your lap
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) This was REALLY scary for Riley - Its dark and things poke you - depends on how brave Aaron is - Ri cried the whole entire time
    2. Nemo The Musical Have not done yet
    Riley was actually braver when he was smaller - nothing scared him - the older he go the more rides spook him. Aaron may still be young enough to not be bothered by the things that scare my little man - HAVE FUN!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

minniesmh is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We went with my DD who was almost 24 months.

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise she liked looking at all the animals esp. the elephants
    2. Tom Sawyer Island we didn't go there
    3. Mad Tea Party we didn't do this one. although she really likes spinning
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?) we didn't do this one
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) I went on this ride with her. She liked it. I had to hold on to the car so I wouldn't squish her. We got a card at the end which said "My first roller coaster"
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) we didn't do this one
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) she sat behind the wheel, but can't see over the windshield, so I had to steer. My DH got a pic of her from the bridge, and you can just see the top of her head
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) she liked Finding Nemo so she was interested in Crush. I would suggest that you get a seat closer to the front so he can see better
    2. Maelstrom she liked all of the dark rides, so she did really well with this one.
    The Studios
    1. MuppetVision 3D (see PhillharMagic) loved playing with the glasses
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) didn't go to this one
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) she liked to get up and dance and also see Bear (from the big blue house)
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) I had DD sit on my lap so she wouldn't get poked in the butt. She also was playing with the glasses
    2. Nemo The Musical didn't see this
    We decided to not see everything when we were there, since we'd be returning this year. Have a great time!!
    Last edited by minniesmh; 04-16-2008 at 04:12 PM.
    minniesmh

ready4 fun is offline B-Ticket Holder
    definitely hit the Movie set adventure on the way to the Lights, Motors, action..Everything is giant sized and he can run around and play...my kids loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ready4 fun View Post
    definitely hit the Movie set adventure on the way to the Lights, Motors, action..Everything is giant sized and he can run around and play...my kids loved it.
    Oh yeah we've already hit that with him before which is why it wasn't in the list. No advice needed on how he'd react there... he loves it. He loves to just run and be free. Of course me, I'm not too fond of it because it was so busy with bigger kids and he almost got trampled. Sometimes I just wanna smack some parents who don't watch what their kids are doing. But alas... I digress. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Mickey08 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We took our 2 year old for the first time October 2007 and here is how it turned out.

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise - Loved it, especially the elephants.
    2. Tom Sawyer Island - Didn't make it over there.
    3. Mad Tea Party - Loved it but avoided making the tea cup spin.
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?) - He actually kept his glasses on the second time we took him to it. The first time he didn't want to leave the theatre.
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) - Adult can ride with him but we didn't try this one b/c everytime we made it there he would have a md (meltdown).
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) - He liked this ride but stuck really close to me.
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) - Didn't take him on it b/c we knew someone would probably ram us from the back.
    8. Try Buzzlight Year's my 2 year old loved it.
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) - LOVED IT. He stayed still.
    2. Maelstrom Didn't try it.
    The Studios
    1. MuppetVision 3D (see PhillharMagic) - Loved it!
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) - wouldn't stay still cause it didn't keep his attention. Its a little long for a two year old. At least mine anyway.
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) - Didn't make it over there.
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) - Loved it.
    2. Nemo The Musical Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey08 View Post
    Try Buzzlight Year's my 2 year old loved it.
    Thanks for the feedback!! We've done Buzz with Aaron 3 or 4 times now. It was actually his very first ride ever and just as yours did, he loves it!

tigger_03 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We are in the same area but have one that is 3 and the other will be 19 months.

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise I'm thinking they would enjoy this one.
    2. Tom Sawyer Island I would think this one would be a big hit as well.
    3. Mad Tea Party I'd think as long as you held the wheel to keep it from spinning too much things would be okay.
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasses on?) I wish I knew how to have them keep the glasses on. If anyone has any tips I'm interested in hearing them. If they don't keep the glasses on is it still fun for them?
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) See as how DD is not scared of much I'm sure this will be a ride she rides. I have no doubt that DH will ride with her and if she wants to go a second time I'll probably go with her. DH already calls her his coaster buddy.
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) I'd say it goes higher and probably a little faster than Dumbo (don't remember Aladdin being there the last time we were there). It might be scary for a 2 year old.
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) I think he'd enjoy this one.
    Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) I would think going close to the front would help so that he could see better.
    2. Maelstrom No experience with this one.
    The Studios
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) Might have to leave early. I know that the Indiana Jones show can be long for kids to sit through. I know DH will probably want to go to that (as well as this one) so we might sit close to exit so we can leave if need be.
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) Wasn't there last time.
    Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) There were small children at this last time we were there. I don't remember any of them causing a scene or anything. But you can sit close to the exit so if you need to leave it's easier.
    2. Nemo The Musical Wasn't there.

Staying on site this year

Previous trips 1986 & 2003

dusten is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Toddler/Preschooler Advice

Here is a link to another thread on toddler attractions...
    Toddler Attractions
    WDW Radio Cruise 2011

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
    Friend me at www.facebook.com/dusten2
    Visit my website at www.dusten.cc

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Re: Toddler/Preschooler Advice

tayen went at 1 and 2.

Magic Kingdom
    1. Jungle Cruise she liked this one
    2. Tom Sawyer Island we didnt do this one
    3. Mad Tea Party this was her very favorite ride.. i cant count how many times we rode it.
    4. PhillharMagic (how do you get them to keep the glasseson?) i have no good answer here.. she watched and had fun.. but she wouldnt leave the glasses on
    5. Goofy's Barnstormer (I assume an adult can ride with him?) another one of her favorites.. we rode over and over again
    6. Astro Orbiter (he loves Dumbo and Aladdin so this is really no different I suppose) she loves it and wanted to go all the way to the top.. it made me a lil nervous
    7. Indy Speedway (can he see over the side of the car?) we didnt do this one..

Epcot
    1. Turtle Talk (how can I keep him from running around driving people nuts - I know he won't sit still if I let him go up to the "kid" area) we did nemo and she liked.. but not turtle talk.. she had to much built up in her to sit still
    2. Maelstrom she had fun..

The Studios
    2. Lights, Motors, Action! (he loves cars but suggestions for keeping him on the benches?) i think mine fell asleep during this
    3. Playhouse Disney (see Turtle Talk) Wasn't there last time.

Animal Kingdom
    1. Tough to Be a Bug (see PhillharMagic) she really enjoyed this one
    2. Nemo The Musical during the show she was great but getting there early for a good seat and waiting is the hard part with a 2 yr ol

were going back now and she is 4. im hopeing to get to do more and see a lil more big girl actions.. but i know i will still need a stroller she gets lazy quick
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy