Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Checking out AKL for next visit? in the Ask The Experts forums; We always try to check out a new resort on our trips. Last time, we hopped a boat from DTD and saw POR. We loved it and decided to stay ...
    kriskay is offline B-Ticket Holder

Checking out AKL for next visit?

We always try to check out a new resort on our trips. Last time, we hopped a boat from DTD and saw POR. We loved it and decided to stay there in October. On this trip, we'd like to check out Animal Kingdom Lodge. We're going to eat at either Boma or Jiko (haven't decided yet). Then we'll just have a look around the resort. Question is...do they have a program or tour of the resort? Will we be able to see the animals? How accessible are they?

~~Kriskay~~

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I do not know of any tours you can take but I am sure if you ask any of the cast members, they may be able to show you around. Yes, you can see the animals, and they are quite accessible. My advice to you is to not only check out the official "viewing areas" but also the stair wells. It is quite a lot of walking given the layout of the resort however when we stayed there, I got some of my best pictures from the stairwells. I was also able to get some great video of the giraffes running out of the pens after they have gone in for their daily visit. (they would pull all the animals in for about an hour or so each day for various reasons). When they would let them out, just about all of the animals came galloping out. If you stand on the stairwell located on the right hand side of the "horse shoe" you can see this. I hope you enjoy!

AKL does offer safari tours but I believe it is for resort guests only, so you would not be able to book those if you are just visiting the resort.
    Last edited by Yensid78; 04-14-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Like Yensid78 said, you will be able to easily see the animals. Animal Kingdom Lodge also provides two safari tours, one in the morning and one at night. This website has some great information about the hotel and the tours it offers Animal Kingdom Lodge Fact Sheet . Hope it helps!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Yep as Yensid said, just ask a CM and they'll happily find someone to show you around the resort. They totally get that people make a decision to stay at a place on their next trip based on what they can be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by ftg09
    Animal Kingdom Lodge also provides two safari tours, one in the morning and one at night.
    I believe you have to be staying at the lodge to participate in the safari tours so I don't think you could use these as a method of checking the place out on your visit.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    We have stayed at AKL. On the upside the lobby was very, very pretty. The animals were cool to view. Their food courts food was better than POR (and I like theirs) Boma is excellent, staying there or not. Buses were the most reliable and plentiful of any resort we have stayed at. The balcony we had overlooked the pool which was entertaining in the morning over coffee. On the flip side, I found the standard rooms to be about the same size as POR where we frequently stay. The resort is more condensed than POR. Counter service food was more pricey and the gift shop seemed far more congested than POR. The commute though to the parks aside from AK is long, and DTD a bit of a haul. If you are on a bus that also makes stops at Blizzard or TL it is a bit tiresome.

We enjoyed the pool everyday as it was a blistering July. Yet I have yet to understand the hype over it. It is large and has a very nice slide but beyond that I am missing what excites everyone about this particular pool I guess.
    Y&BC I get. It is a very nice hotel and if you choose to stay there I'm sure you will enjoy it. POR is still my favorite, even though it is only a moderate.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I believe you have to be staying at the lodge to participate in the safari tours so I don't think you could use these as a method of checking the place out on your visit.
    Im sorry. BamaJenn is right. They are exclusively offered to Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge Guest... It still would be pretty neat to try though sometime if you do end up staying there.

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Jiko and Boma are both excellent places to eat... it would be worth it to plan time during your trip to eat at both!

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Jiko is excellent. DD and I celebrated my birthday & Mother's Day with dinner there last May. We also had a beverage and appetizer in the bar area. We ordered flat bread with 3 dips. I only remember my two favorites; an olive and a sun dried tomato, but it was all very tasty. After dinner, we wandered out to the Savannah area. We watched the animals graze and talked to a cm.

I stayed at the AKL the year before. I had a Savannah room, but if you are not lucky enough to be able to reserve a Savannah room, I think you still have plenty of access areas to view animals from hallways and the stairs. Besides, there is no guarantee that you'll see animals in the Savannah every morning. DD stayed with me one night and the next morning there were no animals to be seen even though the two other morning, that I was there, had oodles of animals.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.