Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Something about WDW and the government in the Ask The Experts forums; I remember hearing somewhere that WDW is not subject to the county taxes-but they pay them as a courtesy. That when a crime occurs(murder,burglary,shoplifting,etc) occurs on the property, the police ...
    connie254 is offline A-Ticket holder

Something about WDW and the government

I remember hearing somewhere that WDW is not subject to the county taxes-but they pay them as a courtesy.
    That when a crime occurs(murder,burglary,shoplifting,etc) occurs on the property, the police are not called.
    I vaguely remember some other things-but don't remember enough details to tell.
    Can someone verify- or clarify- these things.

TIA

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Quote Originally Posted by connie254
    I remember hearing somewhere that WDW is not subject to the county taxes-but they pay them as a courtesy.
    That when a crime occurs(murder,burglary,shoplifting,etc) occurs on the property, the police are not called.
    I vaguely remember some other things-but don't remember enough details to tell.
    Can someone verify- or clarify- these things.

TIA
    I don't know if this will help you or not. I have heard that the reason the police aren't called is that WDW has its own police force.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    to the boards, Connie254!

You may be thinking of the way WDW was granted special jurisdiction for self-government. Walt Disney negotiated a very unusual deal with the state of Florida, in order to ensure that Disney World would be built the way Walt wanted it, without a lot of delays with county agencies. The WDW property actually lies in 2 counties (Osceola and Orange), so you can imagine how many layers of red tape there could be!
    Summarizing from "Since the World Began":
    Disney's Reedy Creek Improvement District is a quasi-governmental entity with power to regulate water management, fire protection, wildlife preservation, roads and bridges, zoning, and guilding codes within the Disney property. There are 2 municipalities: Bay Lake and Reedy Creek (now known as Lake Buena Vista).

Disney does collect & pay state/county sales taxes, hotel taxes, and county property taxes (which go towards police, education, and welfare services). The Reedy Creek Improvement District can levy its own taxes for fire protection, roads, utilities, and public transportation within the district. It also generates about a quarter of all power it uses within the district, and makes its own deals to purchase outside power for the rest.

Hope this sheds some light on things!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by jarmitc2032
    I have heard that the reason the police aren't called is that WDW has its own police force.
    Disney does not have its own force. They do call upon Orange and Osceola County PD and Sherriff. And yes they do give speeding tickets on property as well. Disney does invite them.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Disney does not have its own force. They do call upon Orange and Osceola County PD and Sherriff. And yes they do give speeding tickets on property as well. Disney does invite them.
    They might not have police force at this very moment, but the Reedy Creek Improvement District has the authority to provide and administer a police force.

LinkBacks (?)