Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss First Timer at WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; I have a weeklong trip to WDW in about 3 weeks with 4 adults. Three of us have been to the resort multiple times but my travel partner has never ...
    lexitoad is offline B-Ticket Holder

First Timer at WDW

I have a weeklong trip to WDW in about 3 weeks with 4 adults. Three of us have been to the resort multiple times but my travel partner has never been and does not have the excitement that I have been carrying for months now. I am wondering if you have ideas on making sure they have a magical time. For me, I know it is magical already but he is seeing it as “another theme park.” I want to make sure that he has a wonderful time because WDW is so important to me. I would hate to “drag” him down there and have a less than magical experience since the first impression is so important. I have heard of a “first timers” pin but do not know how to secure them or make it magically appear when we arrive. Are there any other ideas for first time adults?
    Thanks in advance!

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    I ordered the customizable maps off of disney.com to get my g/f excited.
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I guess it would depend on what's important to him, for instance, if good food and wine is his thing, then you may want to go to a really nice table service restaurant like Cali Grill, the food is wonderful but the view from out on the deck up there is breathtaking and if you time it right you can catch wishes from up there. If he's into history then make sure you go through Liberty Square witha fine tooth comb, there are things like the 13 lanterns hanging from the Liberty Tree etc.. Maybe the World Showcase will inspire him, walking around the different countries with the CM's from the county they represent. Or maybe he secretly he really just wants to be a kid again and ride all the great rides that will be surrounding him.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Maybe get him to read the condensed Wlat Disney story, and the first Disney World Trivia book, for starters. If that is not an option-just try expalaining the imagineering concept and pointing out some of the details that are built in, that you do not see in other "theme parks". If that and the Fireworks and music doesn't turn him into a disneygeek, then .......
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My husband really fell for WDW through Walt's eyes. He really loved One Man's Dream at Disney Studios and now enjoys the little things at WDW.

If food is his thing, I agree with GlOny that the nice restaurants are good choices. Also, with my husband, I had to really, really try NOT to be sure that he saw and did everything! It can be hard when you "know" how cool one attraction is and how "fun" another one is. It can be tempting to want to show him everything that you like. But, more often than not, running around and trying to get people to enjoy things just back fires. My hubby loves it when I just sit back, take it easy and enjoy a nice, relaxed touring plan.

Just remember, if he doesn't know what he's missing, he won't miss it. So, no worries if you don't get to see or do everything that you enjoy.
    Suzy
    suzy@mousefantravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I know so few people that do not get hooked on WDW. Yet my next door neighbor & his family were so disappointed they came home 3 days early.
    A single guy I worked with for 11 years and his long term GF went down on a free perk from her company's reward system. My co-worker just hated it.
    Hated the stupid characters, the themed rides. Crowds, cost, lines. Both groups found our little annoyances and zeroed in on them. Hopefully your partner will fall in love with WDW as we all have but remember some just do not get it. Poor Them.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I know so few people that do not get hooked on WDW. Yet my next door neighbor & his family were so disappointed they came home 3 days early.
    A single guy I worked with for 11 years and his long term GF went down on a free perk from her company's reward system. My co-worker just hated it.
    Hated the stupid characters, the themed rides. Crowds, cost, lines. Both groups found our little annoyances and zeroed in on them. Hopefully your partner will fall in love with WDW as we all have but remember some just do not get it. Poor Them.

Sounds like the adults in Peter Pan, growing up can make us cynical. I think it's healthier to keep in touch with the inner child. It lets me imagine what I can do if nothing were holding me back. (like fly)
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

lexitoad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for all the advice and hints!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by lexitoad View Post
    I have a weeklong trip to WDW in about 3 weeks with 4 adults. Three of us have been to the resort multiple times but my travel partner has never been and does not have the excitement that I have been carrying for months now. I am wondering if you have ideas on making sure they have a magical time. For me, I know it is magical already but he is seeing it as “another theme park.” I want to make sure that he has a wonderful time because WDW is so important to me. I would hate to “drag” him down there and have a less than magical experience since the first impression is so important. I have heard of a “first timers” pin but do not know how to secure them or make it magically appear when we arrive. Are there any other ideas for first time adults?
    Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the boards!!!

You can get the "First Time at WDW" pins at any guest relations, or at City Hall in the MK. They are free.

For an adult I would not try to hit all the rides and attractions in the first day as the long waits, if you don't FastPasses, can be a turn off to the whole experience. I would suggest taking in the sights, sounds and smells first and then letting him choose what he would like to do.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think this topic goes along the lines of...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. The magic is there for the taking. Some people "get it' and some don't. Think about the interests of your friend and plan activities that will bring out those interests. Amusement parks and theme parks are not for everyone, but hopefully you'll be able to share your enthusiasm for WDW without pressuring your friend to "love" it too.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

tigger_03 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My DH was the one who planned our first trip there together (I'd been before but he hadn't). He loved everything. He was hooked on all the coasters and has probably wanted to go back as much as I have. If he's into coasters then as my DH says, they're the best at Disney. I don't think my DH has been on a ride there that he hasn't liked.

I swear the faces my DH made that trip were like a kid on Christmas morning, in a candy store, or seeing snow for the first time. He was amazed by everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket View Post
    You can get the "First Time at WDW" pins at any guest relations, or at City Hall in the MK. They are free.
    I didn't know this. Thank you so much. I'll definitely put that on our list as it will be our kids' first time. Wish I would have known about it in 2003 for DH's first time.

Staying on site this year

Previous trips 1986 & 2003