Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss What is the invisible horse's name pulling the hearse?? in the Ask The Experts forums; HELP! We just came home from WDW and have a bet to settle! We overheard a cast member commenting "Isn't _______ beautiful?" Half our party swears it was one name, ...
    mickeylove is offline A-Ticket holder

What is the invisible horse's name pulling the hearse??

HELP! We just came home from WDW and have a bet to settle! We overheard a cast member commenting "Isn't _______ beautiful?" Half our party swears it was one name, the other half remembers a different name....I have searched EVERYWHERE!!! Thanks in advance from a big Haunted Mansion fan!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I'd be willing to bet you that if you heard a name, it's a "pet name" the CMs gave it and not any official name that everyone knows it by. Especially if the CM said it loud enough for your group to hear... they LOVE to play like that.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    This may be one for Lou, I have no idea.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Jenn's probably right about that, CM's love to play around with bored guests waiting in the queue, and would come up with anything to strike up a strange conversation based off of what's around them, which could be the clothes they're wearing to the surroundings. In the jungle, you might have a couple loaders talk about the three toed skink they had for lunch that day and really looking forward to horn of stag beetle the next day, or you can meet their mascot, E-oar! It's a paddle with an E written on it, classic

Without a doubt it is not "official". I know as well that CM's will name things and the names stick! Either way, I feel that the CM's there probably refer to the horse by a name and we need to know what that is to settle this bet (dinner and clean-up by the losers) and anyone who can find out would be greatly admired and appreciated! Thank you

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Jenn's probably right about that, CM's love to play around with bored guests waiting in the queue, and would come up with anything to strike up a strange conversation based off of what's around them, which could be the clothes they're wearing to the surroundings. In the jungle, you might have a couple loaders talk about the three toed skink they had for lunch that day and really looking forward to horn of stag beetle the next day, or you can meet their mascot, E-oar! It's a paddle with an E written on it, classic
    This made me laugh. I've gotta show it to my sister, who is an E-eyore fan LOL.

I've never heard that horse referred to by name, but I'll be curious to see if anyone comes back to this post with a name.

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The horse's name is Penny, but some CM's have called it Old Glue or Elmer. So any of those would probably win your bet.
    Rumors have had it that the hearse was used in a John Wayne movie, or used in the burial of Brigham Young. (There was no hearse for Young). The hearse came from a local collector and had no history... so no one is sure of its origins.

Well, darn

That wasn't either of the names we heard! I swear the CM said "She's a mare...Nightmare" Which is hilarious and makes perfect sense. Half the family remembers something else....I can't think of it now and they aren't home!! Oh well... I'm sure I will hear 10 more eventually! Sure is fun though! Thanks all!

PS, The hearse allie cat is talking about is the one at DL...I don't think anyone thinks that the hearse in DW is anything but a prop.

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    There have been Brigham Young rumors on both at various times - the white one at DL and black one at DW, but much more so the white one. Not true at all of course, but it has been said that the collector had offered to sell it to the Mormon museum before the sale to Disney, and that it may have been owner by someone named Young at some point, which may explain how the rumors started. The black DW one isn't just a prop, it is supposed to be genuine to the 1800s, and is said to have been used in the John Wayne movie "The Sons of Katie Elder" in the 1960s - I'm not sure of the validity on that. The horse's name was Penny at the time the hearse was added, though CM's have created various names. Has anyone heard the "whinny?"

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    snopes.com: Haunted Mansion Hearse - On the Brigham Young Rumor (it applied to the DL hearse)

Amazon.com: "Know the Secrets of Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion" - Julie Neal (of "The Complete Walt Disney World" books) claims the John Wayne movie rumor to be true, though sites no reference.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe