Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss rain in MK in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello DWT, I am new to this site, but have found it to be incredibly helpful. I have a question if anyone can help me. My husband and I are ...
    dizzyfordisney is offline A-Ticket holder

rain in MK

Hello DWT,

I am new to this site, but have found it to be incredibly helpful. I have a question if anyone can help me. My husband and I are going to Disney for our one year anniversary , Arriving this coming Sunday. We will be in the parks mon, tues, wed, and thurs. We do not have park hopper passes ($$$). So have scheduled our day for magic kingdom to be Wednesday because I have read that it is a "slower" day for MK. However, according to the weather there is a 40% chance for rain/storms on that day. Would it be better to go to MK on a busier day to avoid the rain (mon/tues) and thus get all the ambiance, or is a rainier day better. I have been to Disney several times, but my husband has only gone once and I want him to have the best time possible!! If you guys have any advise, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    My experience with rain in FL is that is comes...maybe hard...and then stops. The humidity is fairly high afterwards, but usually rainstorms don't last too long. Check out your map and know where some of the rain escapes are so you know where to go hide for a bit. Rain capes, Disney or otherwise, are always a good investment since it's easier to move around in a raincape than with an umbrella. Have a great time! It's always better to be at WDW on a rainy day than at work on a sunny day.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Tinkgirl is offline Thanks for the Memories :3
    I say look for a ride you haven't been on or a ride you want to go on again on and has a big inside line like Splash Mountain, BTMR or Space Mountain. Any ride that has a inside waiting line will be good.
    Hope that help!

Also Welcome to DisneyWorldTrivia! the best Disney site in the world. Home of millons of Disney freaks!
    Last edited by Tinkgirl; 06-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    TinkGirl
    2007-2009
    I may come back full swing one day, foolish mortals, maybe one day.

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Buy rain ponchos before you go! We arrive next Thursday Maybe we'lll see you in EPCOT.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfordisney View Post
    Hello DWT,

I am new to this site, but have found it to be incredibly helpful. I have a question if anyone can help me. My husband and I are going to Disney for our one year anniversary , Arriving this coming Sunday. We will be in the parks mon, tues, wed, and thurs. We do not have park hopper passes ($$$). So have scheduled our day for magic kingdom to be Wednesday because I have read that it is a "slower" day for MK. However, according to the weather there is a 40% chance for rain/storms on that day. Would it be better to go to MK on a busier day to avoid the rain (mon/tues) and thus get all the ambiance, or is a rainier day better. I have been to Disney several times, but my husband has only gone once and I want him to have the best time possible!! If you guys have any advise, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much.
    Have to agree with miniV in that when it rains here this time of year, it's not for the whole day. It's usually for an hour tops, more often 15 minutes.

There are plenty of places all over MK where you can duck out of the elements for that long. Although I will say that I do NOT recommend an indoor attraction for this purpose, because Disney will not allow the flow of guests to stop just for a little rain. More than once I've been at the exit of Buzz Lightyear during a raging storm being jostled by people trying to avoid leaving the shelter of the ride building, backing things up inside and causing cast members to have to become rather forceful to get people moving. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone kicked out of a restaurant, shop, or bathroom. Scope out places like this in the park before you go so that you're prepared, in the event that you step out of an attraction into a deluge, to dash for the nearest shelter. There's all kinds of sheltered space at Tomorrowland Terrace. There's also a lot of space over in Adventureland across from the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. There are lots of shops on Main Street of course, and also a few between the carousel and the castle in Fantasyland.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I love Disney in the rain - the crowds thin out considerably and it very rarely rains for very long - just get a poncho and splash in the puddles to your hearts content
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Hi Dizzy! Welcome to the boards. We all love 'em.

I think that the Magic Kingdom is a pretty good park to be at when it rains. Lots of the attractions are indoors, and I agree with what others have said that rainstorms in WDW don't last too long. Once, I was eating dinner in The Plaza Restaurant, and it started to POUR. It POURED for about 20 minutes, and all the while, we were watching people sprint for the exit while we ate. Then, it stopped real abruptly, and we walked out of the restaurant into a nearly-empty park. It was great - we could walk onto almost anything we wanted to with pretty much no wait. So, I probably wouldn't change my plans to visit MK on that Wednesday unless you have another reason to do that.

A thought - if you don't already have ponchos, you might want to buy them before you go. Otherwise, it'll be hard for you and your husband to keep track of each other, 'cause you'll be wearing the same exact poncho as almost everyone else.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think Magic Kingdom is easier to move through in the rain than the other parks. You should no have no problems finding places to duck in and out of being the attractions are closer together. Where the other parks are harder to do this because of the distance between attractions and more open spaces.
    Definitaly do the ponchos or umbrealls, but make sure you also wrap your camera, or other belongs in something that'll prevent water damage. If you're staying in Disney go back to the room dry off and go back, I find rains don't last long in Florida and a change of dry clothes can refesh your spirts in the park. Plus I think Wednesdays are usally late night closes for Magic Kingdom, to give you more time.
    Just beware, I've been at the park in peak seasons already and seen people standing in line waiting 2 hours to get on Peter Pan's flight in pouring raining, but I think for the most part the people there with kids pack it up and head back to the hotels and leaving you semi stroller free.
    I hope you enjoy your time at Walt Disney World, go have fun splashing in the puddles, I would.

podperson09 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    MK in the rain is awesome. you have to be careful with thunderstorms, if there is lightning, then all outdoor attractions are closed. also, this may sound funny.. but people tend to think they are 100% safe from lightning while at disney. yes they do have rods on most tall buildings, but keep in mind as magical as disney is, its not lightning proof!
    Jack Kelly: If we go on strike, then we're a union. Right?
    David Jacobs: No. We're just a bunch of angry kids with no money.

Newsies The Unsung Hero of Disney Live Action...

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    Rain in Florida is like Snow in Antarctica... Its just gonna happen. I can tell you whats gonna happen every day you're there right now. Its gonna be mild/warm in the morning, hot at noon, rain in the afternoon, and be muggy the rest of the day.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I love Disney in the rain - the crowds thin out considerably and it very rarely rains for very long - just get a poncho and splash in the puddles to your hearts content
    Where were you when we had skipper puddle splash parties while Jungle was closed due to incliment weather? Heck, there were even times when we put our hats down and danced around to a famous mexican tune, and get others to join us in our short dance. It's always entertaining how often people would stop running from cover to cover to stand in the middle of a little rain to watch us act up, give us a big grin and pitty applause, and then run back undercover while keeping a close eye on those weird guys in khaki to see what they're up to next. I miss rainy days in the jungle *sigh*

Oh, and whoever's new person thread this is, welcome to DWT, welcome to our jungle, we've got fun and games, and hostess products, rotisserie chicken, Weekend at Bernies 1 (not 2) the magenta crayon in 64 crayola box (the one with the built in sharpener,) PEEPS!, pre-sliced cheese, and anything grilled at the Golden Corral, but mostly fun and games

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    My experience with rain in FL is that is comes...maybe hard...and then stops. The humidity is fairly high afterwards, but usually rainstorms don't last too long. Check out your map and know where some of the rain escapes are so you know where to go hide for a bit. Rain capes, Disney or otherwise, are always a good investment since it's easier to move around in a raincape than with an umbrella. Have a great time! It's always better to be at WDW on a rainy day than at work on a sunny day.
    I agree. The rain usually comes down really are for a little bit then it stops. And as soon as it starts raining they bring out the rain ponchos for you to buy.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!