Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Magical Express Question? in the Ask The Experts forums; I am going back to WDW in january with my grandparents for 9 nights! We are flying in together, but on the last day I am flying back by myself ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

Magical Express Question?

I am going back to WDW in january with my grandparents for 9 nights! We are flying in together, but on the last day I am flying back by myself and they are going to spend a few more weeks down in southern florida.

Anyway, my question is: We are not renting a car at the airport when we arrive and will be using Magical Express, will they be able to use Magical Express back to the airport with me on the day I leave WDW to rent a car even though their flight is not on that day?
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I don't think they check if you are actually booked on the flight or not, so just give Magical Express your return flight info for everyone.
    Alternately, you can book DME for yourself and they can pick up their car right at WDW, using one of the on-site car rentals, returning it at the airport later. Just a thought.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Sure, you can all do it that way. You are entitled to a ride from the airport to your resort on or after your check-in day, and you are entitled to a ride from your resort to the airport on or before your check-out day.

But each person can only ride in each direction once. In other words, they can't get a ride to the airport on the day before check-out day AND on check-out day itself.
    -- Eric

Thanks for the responses!
    -Nick

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Its been since the first year that I used Magic Express, have all the kinks been worked out?
    Eric

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I believe so. We had no problems when we used it in November. In fact, in May we went and stayed off property. We had multiple issues with car rental AND lost luggage. It would have been so much easier to do ME instead (but we couldn't).

Flanagan is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I would say that most of the kinks have been worked out. There is still an issue with too many stops too far apart IMO. The last time I used ME, I was staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and the bus stopped at Pop Century, Boardwalk, Beach Club, and POFQ before PORS. It took nearly 2 hours from the time we boarded the bus to the time we walked into the lobby. That is far too long for me, especially considering we nearly missed our very conservatively-timed dinner ADR.

I understand that they try to fill the buses up as much as possible, but they should really stick to routes that only include up to 3 resorts that are in the same area. Pop Century is sort of in the area of PORS, but it certainly is not one of the 3 closest to it.

Strange as it may sound, I believe it's better when it's more crowded. I have a feeling we suffered from this problem because there weren't enough people for all the buses. If there were more people, they'd only be able to fit a couple resorts' worth of people on each bus.

Now reach under your seat and pull out those 3D glasses...

Just kidding, this isn't a 3D presentation.

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    My only concern for you with this would be the luggage. Doesn't Disney check your luggage into the flight for you? If you are all listed on your flight, then won't their luggage get on your plane? Why don't they rent a car from one of the rental agencies on property and then drive you to the airport, and then head to where they are headed? The rental rates are usually cheaper on property then they are from the airport.
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
    I would say that most of the kinks have been worked out. There is still an issue with too many stops too far apart IMO. The last time I used ME, I was staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and the bus stopped at Pop Century, Boardwalk, Beach Club, and POFQ before PORS. It took nearly 2 hours from the time we boarded the bus to the time we walked into the lobby. That is far too long for me, especially considering we nearly missed our very conservatively-timed dinner ADR.

I understand that they try to fill the buses up as much as possible, but they should really stick to routes that only include up to 3 resorts that are in the same area. Pop Century is sort of in the area of PORS, but it certainly is not one of the 3 closest to it.
    I agree. That would be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PolynesianMedic View Post
    My only concern for you with this would be the luggage. Doesn't Disney check your luggage into the flight for you? If you are all listed on your flight, then won't their luggage get on your plane? Why don't they rent a car from one of the rental agencies on property and then drive you to the airport, and then head to where they are headed? The rental rates are usually cheaper on property then they are from the airport.
    I was thinking about that also. So, you're saying that we tell them we are going to use Magical Express, ride it to our resort on the first day and then just not use it on the last day? Because, that seems like it would work pretty well

I think that if we were going to utilize DME back to the airport, it is possible for us to notify them we want to handle our own luggage. I believe they let you do that...not sure though...
    Last edited by nicks10; 07-08-2008 at 12:46 AM.
    -Nick

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    I was thinking about that also. So, you're saying that we tell them we are going to use Magical Express, ride it to our resort on the first day and then just not use it on the last day? Because, that seems like it would work pretty well
    Exactly. I have rented a car from the hotel before, and they will come and get you at your resort, bring you to their office for you to fill out paperwork and get your car. It worked out really well, and it was very easy.
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

dcbush12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am from Ohio....far far from Disney World
    we are using the magical express, we just got our luggage tags today, only two......one for each of us. So that means we each can only have one checked luggage???? i dont know if my girlfriend can pack that light!!! hahaha
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    Aug. 2008----Coronado Springs (Engaged!)
    Dec. 2009----POFC (Honeymoon!!)
    June 2010----PORS

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Just wanted to say I loooooooove Magical Express. Love it, love it, love it.
    They call me "Nana"

Illinibee is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post

I think that if we were going to utilize DME back to the airport, it is possible for us to notify them we want to handle our own luggage. I believe they let you do that...not sure though...
    That is right you can handle the baggage yourself if you want to.

I have used magical express twice and I had no problem either way. I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge the first time and POR the second time. Using magical express really comes down to how you view "time" when you are at the world.
    92 - Off Property
    94 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    96 - Polynesian
    98 - Wilderness Lodge
    00 - Wilderness Lodge
    02 - Grand Floridian
    03 - Animal Kindgom Lodge
    04 - Pop Century
    05 - Wilderness Lodge
    06 - Port Orleans Riverside
    07 - Polynesian
    09 - Saratoga Springs/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
    11 - Bay Lake Tower/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani
    11 - Beach Club
    11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani
    12 - Old Key West
    12 - TBD (Honeymoon Trip!)

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PolynesianMedic View Post
    My only concern for you with this would be the luggage. Doesn't Disney check your luggage into the flight for you? If you are all listed on your flight, then won't their luggage get on your plane?
    No, it doesn't work that way.

Resort Airline Check-in is actually a very separate service from DME (although Disney does a poor job of explaining this). RAC can be used by people whether or not they ride the DME bus back to the airport (and whether or not they rode DME from the airport on their arrival day). Like I said, they are 2 separate services. In addition, you are not required to use RAC (and besides, only people who are flying on a "participating airline" are eligible to use RAC, anyway).

Therefore, there is ZERO chance that anyone NOT using RAC would end up with their luggage on a flight that isn't theirs.
    -- Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast