Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Whatever happened to... in the Ask The Experts forums; anybody know what officially happened to the sky buckets at MK? i know it's been a while but i keep forgetting to ask what happened and when exactly did they ...
    Pooh'sPal is offline A-Ticket holder

Whatever happened to...

anybody know what officially happened to the sky buckets at MK? i know it's been a while but i keep forgetting to ask what happened and when exactly did they close them?

thanks for any info!!!
    "Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true."
    -Walt Disney

"Have a magical day!"

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Pooh,

I think I have an article about them in the Articles section, but quickly, they were taken down in 1999 for a variety of reasons, including slow loading, no handicap access, etc. I have a video from them in the Downloads section, and personally were sad to see them go. They had great views of the MK.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    My last trip in them was in '96 during the Cake Castle.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    The handicapped access is a bit of a red herring as older attractions aren't necessarilly reqired to become handicapped accessable it is just a good thing to try to do, though it would probable have been quite more expensive to do it for this attrtaction than some others. I liked the skyway buckets, but as much as I hated to see them go for little more than cost cutting there are places in Fantasyland in particular that look much nicer without those support poles marching through, the removal of the Skyway at disneyland made a much bigger impact where they were able to give the forced perspective of the Matterhorn a bit of an improvement by not having those gaping skyway bucket holes halfway up the mountain. I won't mind it so much when they really do redevelop that Tomorrowland area that includes the Skyway station. I'm not as hopeful that we'll see much developement at the Fantasyland end, but perhaps they could surprise us all someday.
    Last edited by bigbrian-nc.com; 03-08-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Last I had heard, they were turning the area around the Fantasyland skyway station into a Snow White meet & greet, as well as stroller parking for It's a Small World.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    Last I had heard, they were turning the area around the Fantasyland skyway station into a Snow White meet & greet, as well as stroller parking for It's a Small World.
    It's actually been used as a meet and greet location for years it's particularly appropriate for characters from Pinocchio, and Snow White because of it's alpine settine which could be the Tivolian Alps of the Bavarian Alps as needed. In fact most of the postcard views of Pinnocchio over the years were photographed at the Skyway station!

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    While I never rode them, I was sorry to see them go too. I guess the number of guests who now think it is so cool to stand up on rides and to do other stupid things led to its demise.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 03-08-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    It's actually been used as a meet and greet location for years it's particularly appropriate for characters from Pinocchio, and Snow White because of it's alpine settine which could be the Tivolian Alps of the Bavarian Alps as needed. In fact most of the postcard views of Pinnocchio over the years were photographed at the Skyway station!
    Good god, are meet and greets the ONLY thing that Disney can come up with to replace Fantasyland attractions? Someone needs to be fired...

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    Good god, are meet and greets the ONLY thing that Disney can come up with to replace Fantasyland attractions? Someone needs to be fired...
    Yes on both counts. Sadly, Disney is too much about the bottom line anymore, and less about fantasy. You can hire CMs to play characters until kingdom come as compared to the cost of a new attraction. I love to see the characters as much as anyone, but I also would love to see more rides and attractions. Until there is a change in philosophy at the top M&G will be the norm.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    I love to see the characters as much as anyone, but I also would love to see more rides and attractions. Until there is a change in philosophy at the top M&G will be the norm.
    Sad, isn't it? I just pray for the day when WDW becomes more like the current Disneyland. Matt Ouimet has improved that resort so much in the time span he's been in his position. I just hope he gets sent to Florida afterwards!

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Talking They were the best....

I also miss the skyway. It was such a great way to miss the park. I went down in 1999 and one of the workers had fallen off of one of the cars. I do not believe that he was seriously injured but it went to prove that they could be dangerous if people were not careful in them.

I also would love to see a new attraction be placed there. It would be nice to have something new in that area of the park.

-Scott
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!