Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Just curious if I'm spreading accurate gossip... in the Ask The Experts forums; While I'm quite the novice on this board, compared to most of my friends and family, I'm the Disney go-to guy when it comes to knowledge of the World. But ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Just curious if I'm spreading accurate gossip...

While I'm quite the novice on this board, compared to most of my friends and family, I'm the Disney go-to guy when it comes to knowledge of the World. But seeing as I can't remember where a lot of my facts come from, I thought it might be a good practice to ocassionally check up on the validity of my claims.

And so I ask you this...

What was the reasoning behind making the parking lot for the MK part of the TCC and situating it so far from the park itself? I have always told my friends that this was part of an attempt to force you to undergo a transition period from real-life (that is fighting traffic, paying the parking fee, and lugging the kids and bags from the car), to fantasy (that is the magic kingdom). It seems logical, really. At most parks, you park the car, pile out, and fall into line to plow through the gates. At MK you take a tram to the front, only to then proceed by Monorail or Ferry around or across the Seven Seas Lagoon, listen to the spiel, and watch as the fantasy draws near and the parking lot fades from your mind.

I think I found this on someone else's website a few years back, but I think I'm the only one I've ever heard talk about it aside from that. I'm just wondering if I'm spreading truth or rumor on the matter. Thanks.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    I've never heard that question, but it's a good answer - sounds like something Uncle Walt would do!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    It was going to be the center of WDW transportation. Basically the main hub. You could get to anywhere directly form there. Because of the way WDW grew it could not be used in the way it was once designed. There are only a few direct routes from the TTC now to other places on property. Most places you now go from there you have to transfer somewhere else at least once.

dwellspompano is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have heard the "transition" explanation before also. So I do think that is a failry acurate answer.

johnny matrix is offline A-Ticket holder
    Nope. The reason behind the distance from when you park, to when you actually make it into the Kingdom is to build anticipation. It really works too. Think about how excited you are when you drive through the main gate and then park. Then you take the tram ride to get to the TTC. From the TTC you get to choose either a boat ride or a monorail ride. From either of these you can now finally start to see some of the Kingdom. Think about how excited you are approaching from the monorail or the boat. Maybe you catch a glimpse of the castle, or SpaceMountain. When you finally get off the boat or monorail, you see the main street USA train station. WOW.....you know your almost there. You just have to go through that turnstile and all of the MagicKingdom awaits you. It really works. Whether itís your first time to the Kingdom or your 100th, you start to get excited the moment you drive through the main entrance where you pay to park.

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Johnny-
    Good answer but Don's answer is correct. Magic Kingdom Park is situated so that you do not see reality. When you arrive at the park, the train station is above you. You walk through the "curtain" and the show begins. Take a look around next time you are in Magic Kingdom Park, the only place that you can somewhat see outside of the park fence is when you are in Tomorrowland and the view is only of Disney's Contemporary Resort tower. You cannot see cars, busses or anything and that is the way Walt Disney intended it to be.

Magical Wishes
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

PrincessTammi is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I agree...that is the story I've always heard...they wanted it to be situated away from reality - its supposed to be magical, and you can't see it from the parking lot. The two answers provided here have the same underlying theme....to give the person a sense of two distinct places - the real world, and the magical world....and the ride to it is a buildup or transition to get there. Do you get the opposite feeling when leaving the MK? I do. I can't tell you how many times I've boarded a boat with misty eyes to slowly go back to the "real world". For me, that escape is what all of WDW is about.
    I DID IT!! I finished the ToT 13K! It was actually harder than I ever imagined to be honest. BUT I just kept moving, just keep moving...(could barely move AFTER the race, lol)

Next trip: ???? I almost always have one on the horizon, but given the economy...who knows when I'll get back after this trip!!

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    yes i have also heard that it builds up the anticipation of the show and the sidewalks outside of the train stwtion be4 entering the park i s painted red becaus ethey roll out the red carpet for you. also i heard that walt did put the parking lot so far away because he hated the parking lot at disneyland . and with the monorail it would give the transition from real world to fantasy!!

hope my jumbling made sense!!! lol
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

johnny matrix is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer Sun
    Johnny-
    Good answer but Don's answer is correct. Magic Kingdom Park is situated so that you do not see reality. When you arrive at the park, the train station is above you. You walk through the "curtain" and the show begins. Take a look around next time you are in Magic Kingdom Park, the only place that you can somewhat see outside of the park fence is when you are in Tomorrowland and the view is only of Disney's Contemporary Resort tower. You cannot see cars, busses or anything and that is the way Walt Disney intended it to be.

Magical Wishes
    While you are right about that, my response on the process of entering is also correct. Walt wanted guests to gradually get more and more excited as they got closer to his Kingdom.

PrincessTammi is offline E-Ticket Holder
    And they do!!
    I DID IT!! I finished the ToT 13K! It was actually harder than I ever imagined to be honest. BUT I just kept moving, just keep moving...(could barely move AFTER the race, lol)

Next trip: ???? I almost always have one on the horizon, but given the economy...who knows when I'll get back after this trip!!