Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Which Main Street is It? in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok so... found this wonderful little video today... YouTube - Michael Landon At Disneyland- "What If Nobody Comes?" There is a debate in the comments as you can see as ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Which Main Street is It?

Ok so... found this wonderful little video today...

YouTube - Michael Landon At Disneyland- "What If Nobody Comes?"

There is a debate in the comments as you can see as to whether this is WDW's mainstreet or not. Yes, they certainly hide the castle in most shots so it's possible to not be WDW but I'm wondering if there's anything you guys can pick out that is proof either way (other than the shot of the entrance at the end of mainstreet).

Me, I see the train station as not looking like WDW's but other than that I can't find anything that is a definite "yep it's Disneyland" for me.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I can't say for sure. At 2:55 they show a castle that has the colors of WDW but the shape of DL. (It looks like they edited the castle into the shot because it just kinda floating in the corner.) I think they tried to hide it so the video applies to any MK not just any one MK.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    That is definitely Disneyland. A big clue is the riverboat is the Mark Twain
    WDW river boats have been The Admiral Joe Fowler, and Richard Irvine.

Sleeping Beauty castle has a pinkish hue and is only 77 feet tall.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I believe that its WDW because at 2:48 when Michael Landon is singing in the train station when the Roy O. Disney pulls in with the youngster in the cab. Unless they shipped the Roy O. Disney to Disneyland and back this was done in WDW. But then, when he is singing in front of the riverboat its the Mark Twain and we all know the riverboat in WDW is the Liberty Belle. So maybe it was done in both parks. Because at times it looks like main street in WDW and then sometimes it looks like Disneyland. Video editing can do amazing things even back in 1981. Anyone know for sure? As you may be able to tell I changed my mind half way through my response.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I think there are shots of both. Obviously the first Castle shot is Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland as well as the Mark Twain Riverboat. But look closely at the Train Station, that is not the Disneyland station, this picture below is.

The Train Station at WDW has its tallest tower in the middle like shown in the video, look at the picture of the Disneyland one and you can see that the tallest tower is off to the side and is styled different than WDW's. Just focus on the train station and you'll see what I mean.

It appears that they may have been trying to pass off WDW's Main Street as Disneyland's by editing with other footage from Disneyland.
    Last edited by nicks10; 08-12-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I beleive its both too. I've never been to DL but the castle is not Cinderella Castle.

Ok so you all are sort of finding the same things I did. I saw some things that were very obviously WDW (like the Roy O. Disney train) and others that were undoubtedly DL (like the steamboat). No clue why they'd film them half and half like that being that it's supposed to bet set at Disneyland... just film it there.

It almost looks like every scene with Landon is at WDW and the rest are DL. I'm trying to find any with him that look like DL and I can't find any distinguishing characteristics.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I believe the Michael Landon parts were filmed at DL and the other shots were done at WDW. You can clearly see Sleeping Beauty Castle in the backround when Landon is walking in that direction. Also, the colors on the buildings on Main Street in DL are a different shade than those at WDW.

The shots with the large group of kids is definitely WDW.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Wow see I think it's the other way around Lisa. I think the sleeping beauty castle was some how edited in. All the other scenes with him in them (i.e. at the railroad) are very obviously WDW to me. The scene at the end with the large group of kids looks like DL to me too. I don't know that the colors on the buildings are really a good thing to consider because we're talking what, over 20 years ago? They've been repainted at both locations.

Who knows... just weird... why do it in both places, regardless of which is where? Just film it at Disneyland if you wanna do a show about Disneyland. LOL

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Wow see I think it's the other way around Lisa. I think the sleeping beauty castle was some how edited in. All the other scenes with him in them (i.e. at the railroad) are very obviously WDW to me. The scene at the end with the large group of kids looks like DL to me too. I don't know that the colors on the buildings are really a good thing to consider because we're talking what, over 20 years ago? They've been repainted at both locations.

Who knows... just weird... why do it in both places, regardless of which is where? Just film it at Disneyland if you wanna do a show about Disneyland. LOL
    I agree, if you look closely at the castle shot it appears to be floating or something funny. Just look at the castle in relation to the ground.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I don't know that the colors on the buildings are really a good thing to consider because we're talking what, over 20 years ago? They've been repainted at both locations.
    Jenn,

The reason I mentioned the colors is because of something I learned at a special WDW events a few years ago. X Atencio ( Imagineer, Disney Legend) was talking about John Hench (Animator, Imagineey, Disney Legend) and how much he paid attention to detail.

When the Magic Kingdom was being built, John Hench ordered the buildings on Main Street be painted the same colors as those in Disneyland. After they had been painted, he was walking down Main Street doing an inspection when he stopped dead in his tracks. He looked up to the sky and said something to the affect of, "These colors are all wrong. I hadn't realized how different the Florida sky is to the California sky. All of these buildings need to be repainted in different shades of each color."

If you look at the two streets on video, you can tell the difference between the two. For some reason, it's harder to tell in still pictures.

I also agree with the earlier post about the Mark Twain - the boats in Florida were never named this, they were the Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard F. Irvine.
    Last edited by wdw4us2; 08-14-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, I was looking... but then I kept getting caught up in the thing and forgetting about the question... LOL. There is another version of this in the "related files" strip, which clearly shows it was filmed in Disneyland as part of a "One Man's Dream" show sponsored by Kodak. The one attached to this thread almost seems to have been doctored with some WDW footage to try to update or make it representative of both parks... strange. Still, a lovely little clip and it is so good to see Michael Landon again. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Allie

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Well, the train station was also definately WDW. Was it just me or did that shot of him walking by the train look like the train was almost edited in behind him?
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!