Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Scarier Haunted Mansion? in the Ask The Experts forums; I always thought the ghost were kinda of friendly in there...
    jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I always thought the ghost were kinda of friendly in there
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Talking

I don't seem to remember anything different since I have been going. Although that doesn't mean anything. For the first 5 years of my life, I was scared to death to open my eyes. ...."There's room for one more"...my dad used to volunteer me all the time.

-Scott
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    that's kinda cute. Poor thing
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

disneymaniac24 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have this old souvinier video of the MK from the early 80's and they make the HM seem really creepy. My mum also said it was scarier when she went in 1976 than it is now.
    "All who come to this happy place, Welcome!!" :mickey:
    -Walt Disney on the opening day of Disneyland (July 17, 1955)

Dixie Landings: 11/98

Old Key West: 1/01

Board Walk Villas: 12/02

Beach Club Villas: 5/04

Pop Century Resort: 8/05
    It's time to remember the magic!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    The rumor about the Haunted Mansion having been scarier in the past probably stems from three things:
    1. The first time people ride it they don't know what to expect and so once they are more comfortable with it years later they think it has been "toned down"
    2. The level of detail in it means that there are often things that you have not noticed on previous trips through that you may notice on the next trip, while this may not lead directly to the conclusion that is has been made less scary it does tend to make some folks think that disney is still making a lot of major changes to the attraction.
    3. In 1963 Disneyland built the outer part of the Haunted Mansion for Disneyland, then rapidly became commited to building of several attraqctions for the 1964-65 Worlds Fair in New York City, upon completion of that fair the tecnologies that had been perfected for it led to the installation of several attactions in Disneyland, both direct transplants from the fair (Mr Lincoln, IASW, The Carousel of Progress) and improved versions of attractions that had been either plannned for some time (New Orleans Square/ Pirates) or in need of improvement for some time (Tomorrowland) so the facade of Disneylands Haunted Mansion sat there for almost six years with nothing going on, being that everyone knew it was going to be a Haunted House type attraction it was alomst inevetible that "ghost stories" about this soon started, stories like the one that it did indeed open in 1963, but was so scary someone had been "frightened to death" and so was immediatly closed while a replacement atttraction could be worked out, this tall tale may have been partially remembered by whoever wrote those articles Passaarino remembers reading and they may have mistakenly applied it to the Mansion at the Magic Kingdom.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    when i was little i used to think that the ghosts really were going to follow me home as the Ghost Host said while you were walking off the ride
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlStar613
    when i was little i used to think that the ghosts really were going to follow me home as the Ghost Host said while you were walking off the ride
    You mean they don't???

I personally feel that it should be just a teensy-weensy bit scarier. I frighten pretty easily, but I don't remember ever being frightened by anything in the HM, even when I was much younger. Those pop-up dudes will spook you initially if you're not paying attention, but once its happened to you once, it will never happen again. Besides, I just can't be frightened of a rubber mask on a stick. I like the idea of a roaming phantom-type character in the queue areas and that sort of thing. or maybe a CM plant hidden amongst each group that enters the mansion to pound on a wall now and again or shriek for no reason. Just to keep us on our toes, ya know?

But at the same time, so many of WDWs guests are like 6 years old or younger, that I can understand why you wouldn't want it to be too scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife
    My only complaint about the Haunted Mansion is that it never seems to break down when I'm in the library, ballroom, or graveyard areas. I've always wanted to get a decent shot of those areas, but my camera stinks in low luminance unless it's rock still for 5-10 seconds.
    The ride stopped one time just as I entered the graveyard, and found myself face to face with the three ghosts playing their rather eerie instrumental rendition of Grim Grinning Ghosts for about 7 minutes. And when the audio and the visual aren't quite alligned properly,that can kinda wear on ya. I was actually hoping that we might stop by the opera lady so I could try to get a picture of that grim reaper hidden mickey, but no luck so far.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Ghosthost is offline A-Ticket holder

A Haunted past

At one point the mansion did have some scarier details that didn't last very long. for instance, right after the ride had opened up in the loading hall, one of the corners stood a giant spider man with...ready? A model of a life size human stuck right on there with a rather terrorized face. imagineers decided a few months later that the effect was "too effectful." another example of a short lived spook was the living knight. the Haunted Mansion dressed up a cast member as a knight in armor to add a little extra punch to the attraction. speaking of "puch" a woman got so frightened of the knight that she puched him right in the face. Now, would you want to be stuck in that costume when stuff like that happens? I personally think it added a nice touch to the attraction it mixed "reality" with fiction. sort like in the movie the "Birds," some of the ravens were real some were not. but the knight left for safety reasons.

P.S.
    the knight still remains backstage in the prop room at the Haunted mansion

P.P.S.

Sorry if these facts were already posted!

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Going back to original planning phase of HM there were two camps that Imagineers fell into. The "scary camp", headed by Rolly Grump and another whose name escapes me, and Marc Davis' "fun camp". It was a tug of war over what the theme would be, scary or fun.

The folks designing the scary version fist saw it as a walk through with amazing effects and very disturbing scenes set within a story of death and haunting. Rolly Crump designed an entire "Museum of the Weird" to go along with this creepy feel. In the end, Walt decided that it should be fun and campy, with a couple of good skincrawlers here and there. I don't think either version that made it to the parks were every much scarier than they are now, but many of the Imagineers wanted HM to scare you hair off!
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

A haunted past continued...

Thank you dbm20th for more info. on that. He filled in what I forgot to mention. when Disney was at the drawing board for the Haunted Mansion a lot of the ideas were thought of then almost immediatly dropped. May I also mantion the Rolly Crump, (not Grump,dbm20th) came up with many ideas for the whole attraction. Though Rolly's idea of the Museum of the wierd didn't come through, many details of the Mansion are inspired by him. I am having attacthment problems but to view details on Rolly Crump and his wildly terrifying ideas check out doombuggies.com. The Scariest part of the Haunted Mansion was only there before the ride was. A lot of the horror came from the backstory no one outside of disney knew about. Also when Disney had the Scarier Mansion in mind, it was a walk through attraction; not a "doom buggy" attraction!
    P.S.
    I have done extensive research on the Haunted Mansion and I can answer anyone's question reguarding the Mansion! (I am a Mansion aficionado)

danheaton is offline B-Ticket Holder
    When I was pretty young, I did find the dark stretch room (with the hanging body and scream) to be scary, but the ride itself was just light-hearted fun.

Has anyone ridden Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris? We went there last spring, and while it's not really "scary," the effects are creepier. Because this ride is much newer, it does include better animatronics and is even more effective. I would like to see a few more enhancements to the versions at WDW and DL in this fashion.

Cheers!

Dan

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I have done extensive research on the Haunted Mansion and I can answer anyone's question reguarding the Mansion! (I am a Mansion aficionado)

So, do you know if and when or for how long the renovations will take?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Renovations

I believe the renovations take place every 3-5 years. The Haunted mansion is such a classic and when they update, not much changes. If some of you may recall about 3 years ago they added Mademe Leota's Grave stone in the cemetery (which blinks at guests as they await to enter the mansion.) Very recently they added another sound track by Kat Cressenda. She now tells the Terrifyng yet romantic story of the bride we see in the attic. There have also been many rumors of completly renovating the Mansion, such as changing the mechanics of the effects etc.. but Disney never does. Every one loves the Classic. Though they go back for re-detailing, the Haunted Mansion wont change much from the day it opened.

P.S.
    It's pretty much the same idea for every attraction at disney. Unless a ride is doing terribly. Or vice Versa. For example, take the sucess of the Pirates' movies. the ride hasn't changed into the movie, they just mixed aspects. (I'm glad they didn't do that with the Haunted Mansion movie! yuck)

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Thank you for clarifying the renovations for some of us who have not been able to take a disney trip in a while.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Well, it seems that at Disneyland, they've sort of tested the waters a little at making the classic more on the scary side with the pretty drastic changes to the attic scene. As of the last time I took a weekend break there (back in September, if memory serves), it's now implied that the bride is/was an axe murderess--she's swapped her bouquet for a lumberjack's helper, and the attic is now full of portraits of husbands long since passed on. A bit more sinister moment than it used to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast