Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Scarier Haunted Mansion? in the Ask The Experts forums; I have read several times that at one point the Haunted Mansion was scarier. Basically the reference always reads something like "the scarier parts have been expunged and a friendly ...
    Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!

Scarier Haunted Mansion?

I have read several times that at one point the Haunted Mansion was scarier. Basically the reference always reads something like "the scarier parts have been expunged and a friendly voiceover keeps things nice and light." Does anyone know what was changed or taken out? I love the Haunted Mansion, but there are times when I think it could be a little less campy. Not blood and gore of course, but just a little more ...well haunted and spooky. Anyone have any clue if there was a different version or something?
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    At one point I think the Haunted Mansion had a CM dress up as a Knight. The knight would jump out at people and scare them.

Anyone know if this is true? And did anyone experience this? I think it was at DL, not sure if it was ever at WDW.

A good Haunted Mansion site:
    www.doombuggies.com
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    I remember there being a CM in a Suit of armor that would reach out towards your Doom Buggy as it passed. I think that Disney took them out because these poor CMs were being assaulted by startled/scared patrons as well as being spat upon by juvenile delinquents.

Other than the Armored CM, I can't remember anything else being different within the Haunted Mansion since it opened. The scenery outside has changed a little with various tombstones being updated and the queues being modified.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder
    No, I visited both DL and WDW's version of the "Mansion" when they first opened and I can't recall anything different during the ride through the years. It was always supposed to be amusing. They didn't want to terrorize the youngsters.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    From the book The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell:

Knight of the Living Dead

In the mid-1980s, Imagineers grew concerned that Disneyland was becoming predictable and began looking for ways to add a few surprises to the park's signature attractions, including the Haunted Mansion. They teamed up with Entertainment to populate the Mansion with live performers for the first time, including a Phantom of the Opera-like character that would roam the queue and greet guests at the front door, and a "living" suit of armor in the Corridor of Doors. The idea was for these characters to pop up in different places at different times, adding a decidely unpredictable element to the attraction.

The grand experiement proved to be a little too scary for guests...and a little too dangerous for Cast Members. Some guests were so surprised by the knight's sudden appearance that they unwittingly struck back at him. Unfortunately, the night's armor wasn't quite as protective as that of his predecessors, and his appearance met an untimely end.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    The HM is scary enough! I do remember though the first time we rode and the doom buggy rotated and went down backwards and that gave me quite a fright! However, after riding at least 40 times I always see something new, even if it is not scary.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

Some guests were so surprised by the knight's sudden appearance that they unwittingly struck back at him.
    *L* sorry... that made me laugh.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have been going since I was a child and I cannot remember anything different about it. Although, like they said, you can see something new everytime you go on it. It is always fun to look for things that you did not see before. Take the time to stop and smell the roses (even if they may be dead!!!!)

-Scott
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Same here... Seems like I always see something that I'd never noticed before, each time I get in one of those Doom Buggies.

My only complaint about the Haunted Mansion is that it never seems to break down when I'm in the library, ballroom, or graveyard areas. I've always wanted to get a decent shot of those areas, but my camera stinks in low luminance unless it's rock still for 5-10 seconds.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

d1sn3y is offline A-Ticket holder
    The haunted masnion used to go much faster, but they made it slower for some reason

AimeeBelle is offline D-Ticket Holder
    There is an unwritten law that if the HM ride breaks down while I'm on it, I must be positioned beside one of the pop up things that scream repeatedly!!!
    Aimee

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i don't remember any CM popping up either, but then again i used to be afraid of the HM when i was little and hid in my dad's lap the entire ride....
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quote Originally Posted by AimeeBelle
    There is an unwritten law that if the HM ride breaks down while I'm on it, I must be positioned beside one of the pop up things that scream repeatedly!!!
    FINALLY! Someone with related experiences! It's the exact same for me, except it's always opposite the Endless Hallway. I have memories of being five years old and being horrified at watching this floating candle, seemingly being held by some unseen phantom, slowly gliding towards me.

Still get a kick out of it, though

Personally, I think they could make it scarier (WDW) by getting rid
    of those horribly cheesy spiders after the library.
    Last edited by 20K; 03-28-2005 at 06:11 PM.

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have only been to DisneyLand, is the Disneyworld haunted mansion scarier
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    The HM is scary enough! I do remember though the first time we rode and the doom buggy rotated and went down backwards and that gave me quite a fright! However, after riding at least 40 times I always see something new, even if it is not scary.
    I have to disagree because I wish it was scarer. When I first went on I never knew it was a ride that it would make me laugh.
    Last edited by jarmitc2032; 03-29-2005 at 11:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast