Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Why change the Resort name? in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi, guys! I have a question. Why change the name the Dixi Landing Resort? This name reminds me of my 25th aniversary trip. I miss the Name and Logo!...
    Loveyoda is offline A-Ticket holder

Why change the Resort name?

Hi, guys!
    I have a question.

Why change the name the Dixi Landing Resort?

This name reminds me of my 25th aniversary trip.
    I miss the Name and Logo!
    May the Disney force be with you...

elcondor is offline A-Ticket holder
    Apparently it was to remove any possible 'negative' connotations associated with the time period it's meant to represent. I believe some of the restaurant names were changed too.

redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder
    Welcome to the boards Loveyoda and elcondor. Even if your reason for changing the name of the resort is true, it will always be Dixie Landings to me.
    -Zac

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadbrown View Post
    Welcome to the boards Loveyoda and elcondor. Even if your reason for changing the name of the resort is true, it will always be Dixie Landings to me.

That is the unspoken change I've always heard. I consider it my home resort even though we have stayed at several deluxe resorts. I find it calming and restful when we need a break during the day, peaceful at night, minus the fun, fun lounge.

It will always be Dixie and Port Orleans to me as we have stayed there so often. We were there for the Grand Opening (almost a year apart) for both PO & Dixie. The combo hasn't really changed a darn thing even separate check in, but really do miss the sit down restaurant at PO. It was so good, now it is a silly chef's test kitchen. With dining shortages I wish they'd reconsider and reopen it with a similar menu.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I still have my Dixie Landings refillable mug !

Thanks for your quick reply, elcondor!
    And thanks everyone to posting the message.

I bought a Dixi landings Logo T-shirts, but it was frazzle now.
    I should have bought a thing that made out of plastic...

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Loveyoda,
    I think it changed as part of the merger with Port Orleans in 2001. Since the resorts were right together in DD area, it was possible to eliminate duplicated serviced expense (Bonfamille's Cafe table-service restaurant, bike rentals, boat rentals, check in technology etc.) The two areas were then renamed to both reflect New Orleans specifically - French Quarter and Riverside. The only change I am aware of there that is totally political correctness is to erase the Colonel's Cotton mill and make it Riverside Mill at the same time.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Your right, I never realized that Colonel's Cotton mill changed to Riverside Mill. But after seeing your post I remember it being called that, funny. I always imaged that it must be tough for Disney to stay close as they can to being politically correct and not offend people.
    Riverside will always be my favorite resort, once you get away from the mill area it becomes much more quite than the other resorts and a little more relaxed, I guess that's ,part of the south appeal of the resort also?

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadbrown View Post
    Even if your reason for changing the name of the resort is true, it will always be Dixie Landings to me.
    Ditto!

We always call everything at WDW by it's original name. It's much easier than trying to keep track of all the name changes - The Disney Inn, Dixie Landings, Polynesian Village, WDW Village, Star Jets, WedWay Peoplemover, Countdown to Extinction, Disney/MGM Studios, EPCOT Center. . . the list goes on and on.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Hi, everyone!

When I think back with reading the posting message, many things had changed the name. I feel deeply about that.

TDL still has "Star Jets", but many buildings of the Tomorrow Land at TDL are changing its color original white to metallic or more vividness.

Rafiki said, "Change is good." ....hmmmmm....you're right, but sometimes...