Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Why is it called 'Kali' River Rapids? in the Ask The Experts forums; I know that Kali River Rapids was originally called Tiger River Rapids. I understand why they dropped the 'Tiger' bit - but does anyone know why it was renamed 'Kali'? ...
    drddrd is offline A-Ticket holder

Why is it called 'Kali' River Rapids?

I know that Kali River Rapids was originally called Tiger River Rapids. I understand why they dropped the 'Tiger' bit - but does anyone know why it was renamed 'Kali'? It can't be a reference to the actual Kali River, can it - since the ride is supposed to take place on the Chankranadi River...
    Is it a reference to Kali, the Hindu Goddess of death and destruction? (If so, why are there Buddhist statues at the start of the attraction...?)
    In puzzlement, and hoping for some 'enlightenment'...
    drddrd

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Well, there's also a city in India named "Kali" (Kali, India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but from what I can tell, it isn't near the real Chankranadi River (Chakranadi River, India on world map, coordinates and short facts) ...

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    To be fair to Kali, while some of her more devoted followers had a tendency to get a little out there, she wasn't/isn't necessarily a bad girl. She's the consort of Shiva himself, and is also the Hindu goddess of time, change, and is widely regarded as the all-loving benevolent mother. She is also sort of the matron saint of 'women done wrong' in that part of the world.

(Just throwin' that out there. The Indy fanboy just can't let a mention of Kail go without contributing.)

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm pretty sure that Chankranadi River translates to river that runs in a circle, but I dont know what Kali refers to.

WDWFan08 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Chakranadi is translated as a "'river that flows in a circle'" in Sanskrit, according to the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom book (2007). Unfortunately, they don't explain where the Kali comes from, but it's a good question.
    --
    Sarah

What will YOU celebrate?

Check out my recent photos in my photo album!

Shutterfly Website: http://amateurphotography.shutterfly.com/

Panda_Girl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, Kali is the hindu goddess of Death, destruction and the force of time(I got that from wikipediaxD).
    And along the ride of Kali River Rapids, it depits the distruction of the forest by the loggers and fires.
    So, I guess, Kali is representing the death and destruction of the forests by human hands.
    Its kinda simple. Well, to me it is.
    =]
    "So many people treat you like a kid, so you might as act like one and throw your T.V. out the hotel window."- Gerard Way

"Popsicles should be the new black, that way everyone would have one."- Frank Iero

"Tastes like someone stole my wallet, ya know?"- Gerard Way

drddrd is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the replies, folks, but I'm still puzzled.
    I can see that if we take Kali as the goddess of death and destruction, it ties in with the destruction you see on the ride. But as the 'Indy fanboy' says, there's more to Kali than that.
    (I believe that Kali is sometimes depicted riding on a tiger, so that may be a link...)
    If it is meant as a reference to Kali, I think it's odd that there are no images of the goddess in the attraction. Plus, she's known mainly as a Hindu goddess, but there are lots of Buddhist statues/images in the ride queue.
    And finally ... calling it 'Kali River Rapids' will make some people think they are supposed to be riding on the actual Kali River, and they're not...
    Did the Imagineers slip up on this one? Or have we just missed the point somewhere?
    drddrd

Panda_Girl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by drddrd View Post
    Thanks for the replies, folks, but I'm still puzzled.
    I can see that if we take Kali as the goddess of death and destruction, it ties in with the destruction you see on the ride. But as the 'Indy fanboy' says, there's more to Kali than that.
    (I believe that Kali is sometimes depicted riding on a tiger, so that may be a link...)
    If it is meant as a reference to Kali, I think it's odd that there are no images of the goddess in the attraction. Plus, she's known mainly as a Hindu goddess, but there are lots of Buddhist statues/images in the ride queue.
    And finally ... calling it 'Kali River Rapids' will make some people think they are supposed to be riding on the actual Kali River, and they're not...
    Did the Imagineers slip up on this one? Or have we just missed the point somewhere?
    drddrd
    Thats kinda funny.
    Buddhist statues and Kali is Hindu.
    Maybe the Imagineers sliped up. O.o
    That might be a first.

I dont know... if I was Hindu or Buddhist, should I take offence to that?
    xD
    "So many people treat you like a kid, so you might as act like one and throw your T.V. out the hotel window."- Gerard Way

"Popsicles should be the new black, that way everyone would have one."- Frank Iero

"Tastes like someone stole my wallet, ya know?"- Gerard Way

disneydr is offline A-Ticket holder
    'S funny... They seem to mix Hindu and Buddhist things together in other parts of Asia, too, like Expedition Everest...
    It's a good question - if someone is Hindu or Buddhist, are they going to be offended by this at all?
    The disneydr