Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss What happened to the short cartoons? in the Ask The Experts forums; Whatever to the old shorts that they used to play in the hotel rooms? When i went in 2006 and in the summer of 07 they had a channel in ...
    Pluto40 is offline A-Ticket holder

What happened to the short cartoons?

Whatever to the old shorts that they used to play in the hotel rooms? When i went in 2006 and in the summer of 07 they had a channel in the room dedicated to these cartoons. Then when i went back in the fall of 07 they weren't on anymore. And they used to be on in the lobbies all the time but we just got back a week ago and they had on mary poppins one time and the wiggles another.

cavaliers60 is offline A-Ticket holder
    robably because most kids now watch newer cartoons and such, so they stopped showing the older ones. I'm not for sure though.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That's a shame, I used to go to the "theater" in the All Star Movies and watch them while my mom checked in...
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    My niece loved watching those at the age of 3 when she was there last. The shorts made her laugh more than the newer cartoons.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    That is a shame. They use to really entertain my little kids when I needed a few minutes. The lines for check in at certain times of day make a kid a bit fidgety after a long flight and bus ride, so the cartoons were great.

With one bathroom in our hotel room the shorts gave them something to do while we all took our turns showering.

Sometime you just have to wonder why...on various topics.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    No way! I loved watching these loops! I watched them when we were there this past summer though - maybe they just were changing the loop or something?
    ~Ashleigh

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    We were watching them in December 2007 at WDW and at DLR in June 2008.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    They are still showing them on the resort room TVs - you just have to hunt for them.

When we were there in September, DS found the cartoons when he was channel surfing. He thinks it was channel 96.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    They are still showing them on the resort room TVs - you just have to hunt for them.

When we were there in September, DS found the cartoons when he was channel surfing. He thinks it was channel 96.
    Either that or 94 I think. My kids watched them to go to sleep this past week. I know it was the last channel programmed on the TVs we had before the different inputs (S-Video, Aux, etc.) and then back around to 1...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

19PK74 is offline A-Ticket holder
    This issue is part of a much larger problem so far as I can tell.

You can't find the original Disney shorts on television anywhere! The Walt Disney Corporation has how many cable channels? And they can't find ANYWHERE to air the cartoons that brought them notoriety in the first place?

Blasphemy

I miss being able to watch those cartoons in the room...the resort lobbies...in the theatre on Main Street...now they're just...nowhere!
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night."-Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by 19PK74 View Post
    This issue is part of a much larger problem so far as I can tell.

You can't find the original Disney shorts on television anywhere! The Walt Disney Corporation has how many cable channels? And they can't find ANYWHERE to air the cartoons that brought them notoriety in the first place?

Blasphemy

I miss being able to watch those cartoons in the room...the resort lobbies...in the theatre on Main Street...now they're just...nowhere!
    As just stated, they ARE still on in the rooms, if you know where to find them. It is possible someone has messed with the TV settings to drop the channel - I don't know how easy it is, or how to get it back - I didn't need to.

As for showing the classic stuff on the cable channels, Disney has simply done what every other "classic" cable network has done, that made a name for themselves showing classic programs. They discovered that newer, original programming brought in larger numbers of viewers - and thus advertising dollars.

I've been dying to see some of the old Vault programming - the old Disneyland show, etc...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I've been dying to see some of the old Vault programming - the old Disneyland show, etc...
    As I've been saying since they first eliminated Vault Disney, why not use one of the many networks they own and turn it into a dedicated Vault Disney Channel.

I would suggest they use ABC Family and move their original programming on that channel to the Disney Channel. This way, everyone would be happy.

If they don't want to do that, go back to airing Vault Disney at Midnight like they used to do. After all, I don't know too many parents who allow their 'tweens to watch TV from Midnight - 6 a.m., do you?
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Liv2CdWorld is offline A-Ticket holder
    Interesting. When we were there in June, I specifically asked the front desk at AKL. I saw it playing in the kids area, but couldn't find it anywhere on TV. When I asked the front desk, they told me we couldn't get that in our rooms anymore.

Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2CdWorld View Post
    Interesting. When we were there in June, I specifically asked the front desk at AKL. I saw it playing in the kids area, but couldn't find it anywhere on TV. When I asked the front desk, they told me we couldn't get that in our rooms anymore.
    Honestly, I'm not sure if the front desk people know what's on the TVs. I've never even noticed a channel list. You'd probably need maintenance to adjust the TV if there is no channel list access from the remote or TV itself.

As far as I know, all the resort TVs are hooked into the same (crappy) cable feed - even the nice new flat panels, showing the same cruddy static-filled stations...

I wonder if BET will get dropped now that the club is closed. I've never even seen BET Jazz active - it has always shown the system logo for as long as I can remember.
    Doc

minniesmh is offline B-Ticket Holder
    When I was at the ALMusic in Dec 07 they were definitely playing the old cartoons. My DD was watching them all the time. To the point that we knew which cartoon was next as they were playing on a loop that was changed daily or every other day. I believe the channel was 96. If you do not see it when you are changing channels, then press the 9 and 6 buttons. There is a button on some remotes that will allow you to add or delete channels (I know this since my DD was able to erase different channels that were preprogrammed on my TV - so this may have happened to some of your TVs)
    minniesmh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast