Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Disney Research Paper! in the Ask The Experts forums; So I got my research paper assignment in my English class this morning and my professor is opening it up to any topic, just as long as it interests us. ...
    Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

Disney Research Paper!

So I got my research paper assignment in my English class this morning and my professor is opening it up to any topic, just as long as it interests us. She stressed this point because we will be working on this paper from now through the first week in December. Well, obviously, I'm interested in Disney, so I would really like to do my research paper on that. What I'm trying to find is a good topic, so I was wondering what you guys think. The only real rules (at least as far as you guys are concerned) is that the topic:
    1) needs to have two sides

2) needs to fit into this thesis statement: "While it is commonly believed ______, in reality, ________ because 1.______, 2.______, and 3. ______."

3) I need to be able to back my points up with concrete sources.

I'm thinking something like this for my thesis: "While it is commonly believed that a trip to Walt Disney World is only a vacation that kids can enjoy, in reality, it is a vacation that adults can enjoy as well because 1. _____, 2. ______, and 3. ______ (I would have to narrow down the points to 3 from like a million!).

Also, I would like to try to keep this restricted to WDW, just because I know the most about those parks. Any and all comments/topic suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Yay! I have finally gotten a paper assignment that I'm actually looking forward to writing!
    ~Ashleigh

emabee is offline Not too much longer til I'm in the World again!!!
    How awesome. I would have loved to have gotten a paper like this when I was in school.

You could point out that adults have fun too because it makes them feel like a kid again. Or you can point out the pratical parts like the golf courses, the fine dining, the shows, etc....

Good luck.
    http://pinefrog.com/DWT/vana.htm

Disney things I love:

The Capt'n:
    Pirates:
    Magic Kingdom:
    All things Alice:

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I think that's a fantastic thesis idea! Way to "fill in the blanks" there! I think your concrete sources for some of the ideas for 1, 2 and 3 could be things like the tours that are specifically geared for adults or the restaurants that don't even allow children or the former PI nightlife etc. There are sooo many things to reference as reasons WDW is truly designed with the entire family in mind. What a fun paper!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    Something that might be helpful is finding a resource that argues the opposing side of your argument. It could be easier to make your paper stronger by including naysayers and then why their argument is not valid.
    But wow, I wish I could do a paper like that...
    "It's a small world after all..."

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I'm totally jealous. The last paper I had to write was a 30 page paper on why accounting fraud has been happening of late and what we need to do to fix it. Blech! Your assignment is, like, a zillion times better LOL!

Do you have one of "The Unofficial Guides to Walt Disney World", by Bob Sehlinger? I think his books might have a section called "Disney World for Adults". Maybe that could provide some ideas.

I never thought I'd say this to anyone, but have fun writing your paper!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You might want to approach your topic on the basis that many attractions reach out to guests on different levels. What you might take in from the attraction as a child is quite different from what entertains an adult. The Muppets have been doing this for years in their movies, but I think the same thing can be said for HM, TSM, POC, EE, and so on.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I have to write up a proposal for my teacher to review and approve later on this week, and all of these will definately help!
    ~Ashleigh