Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Backstage Tour in the Ask The Experts forums; Has anybody done any of the backstage tours beside the Dolphin in Depth and Disney Family Magic (Done these both they were great). I would like to try the others ...
    JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO

Backstage Tour

Has anybody done any of the backstage tours beside the Dolphin in Depth and Disney Family Magic (Done these both they were great). I would like to try the others but I have read some pretty poor review on other sites. I wondering if anybody on this site has done any other than these two and how are they and do you really get to see a lot of the backstage and is it worth the money

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I've done Keys to the Kingdom, UnDiscovered Future World, and Gardens of the World.

Keys to the Kingdom was the best of the 3. It was 4 1/2 hours of touring the Magic Kingdom, riding a couple of attractions with the guide pointing out all sorts of stuff, and several stops backstage. It included lunch at Columbia Harbor House. I would definitely recommend it.

UnDiscovered Future World was OK, but less than hoped for. Some of that may have been because it was my third tour in 3 days and I really didn't need a lesson on Walt's life again. The first 2 hours were a bit dull - backstage stops were corporate lounges in SSE, the Land, and Imagination. Then it got better - sneak peek at Soarin's construction site (just a peek), into the control room at Mission:Space, a ride on Test Track via the exit (no wait), and then back to cast member services, wardrobe, and a talk with a member of the international program. It ended with seeing the docks where they load the fireworks for Illuminations. There was a short snack break at The Land (on your own dime) and free water during the international program session. This tour probably has had some changes with all the new stuff going into Future World.

The Gardens tour was great because I went during the Flower show. I'm not a big gardener, but nothing was over my head. Got to see how they make the topiaries, secrets about other plantings around FW & WS, and to see the backside of Canada's mountain. Pretty neat.

This year I'm trying the Segway tour and Mickey's Magical Milestones. I'd love to do Backstage Magic, but I haven't been willing to spend a whole day on it yet, let alone $200.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I did the Backstage Magic several years ago. Well worth it. I did get 40% off at the time for being a passholder so that helped. YOu went backstage at MK, MGM, EP and the facilities behind the MK (Christams, prop and fabrication warehouse).

AimeeBelle is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I too did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and loved it. Though I was disappointed that they only took you into the utilidors for a very brief period of time. Also remember that no kids under 16 (I think that's the age) are allowed on this tour, and you can't bring a camera
    Aimee

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    the keys to the Kingdom was great - better than any other tour that we've done
    I recommnend it

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Does the Keys to the Kingdom tour ruin the "magic"?

And... how strict are they on age, do they require proof of age or just go on what you tell them? My son will be 14 but is taller than his 16 year old sister and his mom for that matter.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe

And... how strict are they on age, do they require proof of age or just go on what you tell them? My son will be 14 but is taller than his 16 year old sister and his mom for that matter.

I'm not sure about that tour but for the tour I did which was the Dolphin in Depth you had to show some form of id that was the fist thing they ask me for. They seem more strict about you not taking pictures and telling other guest that you may encounter on the tour anything. When I did my tour they walked us through the living seas with our wetsuit on and you did see other guest looking at us like what is tht group doing and if we were asked what we were doing we couldn't tell them why. It makes you feel real important to know secert stuff tht the other park guest have no clue about. Most of the time you are behind the backstage area and from what I found out as far as the age restriction was due mainly to safety. They bascially had me sign my life away when I did the Dolphin tour. So say if one of the animals attack me or either injure or God forbid kill me know one or myself could hold them responisble for it. I know it sounds bad but you have to go figure if it was that much danger in it they wouldn't have the tours and beside they do everything possible to keep you safe. Hope this helps

Oh yeah there is a tour your whole entire family can do call the disney family magic. But it only good if you have little ones. Check it out online at this website it can give you more info also a list of a lot of other tours. http://allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm

Also get Birbaum Book they have a lot of information on the tours as well.

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!
    I remember doing three tours ages ago. One was a Nature themed tour where they took us outside of the park and into the Florida swamps where we got to see alligators and turtles realy close up. Then we headed back to the resort and spent a lot of time on Discovery Island. I also dod a Magic tour which took us behind the scenes in the MK. We rode the HM and the CM explained how they do all of the effects which was very cool. The last tour I did was all Artistic. We spent four hours at MGM and did the Magic of Disney Animation, spent time with the animators. I even got to paint my own animation cell. Then we ended up in a conference room doing free rawing with the Disney animators. I remember doing Mickey and Roger Rabbit. I don't think they have those tours anymore, but they were all fun.
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    MB,

I have taken the BM tour and cannot say enough great things about it (please note it was before 9/11 and I cannot advise as to what may no longer be included in the tour).

As for the ages, if your son is right on the borderline, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. They just don't wnat kids having the magic ruined (which, to asnwer your first question, it aboslutely does not - in fact, it enhaces it as you now have a great appreciation for what goes on there). Also, they don't want small kids either getting restless (lots of walking involved), and maybe feel it would be too boring for them.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe
    It depends. Do you believe it all happens with pixie dust? Then, yes, KttK can be a bit too eye-opening. You do go backstage, you do hear about how stuff works, and you just might see something you don't want to, especially involving characters.

If you believe the magic was and is created by incredibly talented and dedicated people, and wonder just how much is involved in making magic happen, then I think it enhances the magic even more.

We did need photo ID for the tour, so I would think they could catch on about your son's age.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Ms.Disney Dame, can you tell me a little more about that tour you went on. And how do you get on it?
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer4321
    Ms.Disney Dame, can you tell me a little more about that tour you went on. And how do you get on it?
    'Ms. Disney Dame!' I kind of like that.... (you can call me Pat, please!)

Keys to the Kingdom is a 4 1/2 hour guided tour of the Magic Kingdom, run by official Disney Tourguides. You can sign up by calling 407-WDW-TOUR. It is offered daily and there are several times each day. Tour costs $58 or so, plus park admission is required. You have to be 16 yrs or older and carry a photo ID.

When I went we were given headsets to listen to the tourguide who was wearing a wireless microphone. Not everyone has gotten these on the same tour, so it may be a new thing, or it may depend on the guide. The headsets were great because you could hear in a crowd, and you could hear the guide narrating details about a ride while you were seated in different cars.

The tour includes some stops backstage, including a look at the utilidors. You also get to go on a couple of attractions and get lunch at Columbia Harbor House. Some of it will vary depending on the guide, park crowds, and other factors like a ride is down.

I don't want to give too much away, but you can PM me with any specific questions you may have. We were sworn to secrecy about some of what we saw, though!

A good description of the tour is found here: http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm#kk
    and the official Disney site link is: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ingdomTourPage
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Thanks a million Pat, you just got me more interested, because I hate secrets.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

I thought I bump this up for Selena. Any new backstage tours coming out soon?

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Jedi--
    you said you have taken the Family Magic tour--what did you think of it and do you think my 2 yr old would be ok taking it????...from what I've read on it, sounds like a blast for the big kids(aka-adults).
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast