Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Main Street Parades in the Ask The Experts forums; I was watching the film, 'Disneyland USA' (made I think in 1957). It includes a parade on Main Street - an old-fashioned 'circus' parade, with elephants etc. There were no ...
    drddrd is offline A-Ticket holder

Main Street Parades

I was watching the film, 'Disneyland USA' (made I think in 1957). It includes a parade on Main Street - an old-fashioned 'circus' parade, with elephants etc. There were no Disney cartoon characters in sight; and it was quite different from the parades of today.
    It made me wonder: were there any parades in those days featuring Disney characters - or is that something that only started later?
    (For that matter, were there always characters like Mickey around in costume on Main Street, to shake hands and pose for photos - or did that only start later, too?)
    DrD

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by drddrd View Post
    I was watching the film, 'Disneyland USA' (made I think in 1957). It includes a parade on Main Street - an old-fashioned 'circus' parade, with elephants etc. There were no Disney cartoon characters in sight; and it was quite different from the parades of today.
    It made me wonder: were there any parades in those days featuring Disney characters - or is that something that only started later?
    (For that matter, were there always characters like Mickey around in costume on Main Street, to shake hands and pose for photos - or did that only start later, too?)
    DrD
    I don't know about the parades but I remember seeing old photos or newsreels with a very different looking Mickey in Disneyland walking around.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    All the parades at WDW have been character driven, since day one. I have some shots of a parade in 1976 and, though the characters look quite different than they do today, the parade undoubedtly was centered around them.

Disneyland, being open in the 50s, catered to a very different sort of crowd so it wouldn't surprise me if they had un-character themed parades. Think about the park itself, very little on opening day was character themed as well.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Are you referring to the "Disneyland U.S.A." Treasures DVD?

I don't remember the parade specifically, but I do remember seeing the characters, and yes, they looked very different then. But I do remember Minnie and Minnie and the dwarves being shown.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news